Line Combos: TOR needs to **** or get off the pot in regards to our defense

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Then the Leafs have needs not priorities. If you believe this argument, ok. I don't believe this argument. In my opinion you have a priority and it's defense.

Well, we had Matthews and Kadri as C's and quite literally NOTHING else, so we needed a center. Whether it was Tavares/Bozak/someone, there was an actual NEED for a C to be signed.

At this point, the Leafs quite literally have 1 need. A dman. That's it. The forwards are cup caliber, the goaltending depth is, heck the defensive depth is as well. They just need that 1 dman to round out the group. It doesn't necessarily need to be a top tier dman either (as evidence by Vegas making the finals last year, Pitt winning the Cup 2 years ago, Carolina's Cup winning d-core, etc).

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It's also the strategy that sank the Islander's season last year and John Tavares happened to be the centerpiece of that failed strategy.

Hey, if you think the Leafs are going to sink and won't be acquiring any dman in the next 7 years then have at it.

I think you're in for a disappointment however.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Well, we had Matthews and Kadri as C's and quite literally NOTHING else, so we needed a center. Whether it was Tavares/Bozak/someone, there was an actual NEED for a C to be signed.

At this point, the Leafs quite literally have 1 need. A dman. That's it. The forwards are cup caliber, the goaltending depth is, heck the defensive depth is as well. They just need that 1 dman to round out the group. It doesn't necessarily need to be a top tier dman either (as evidence by Vegas making the finals last year, Pitt winning the Cup 2 years ago, Carolina's Cup winning d-core, etc).

If that be the case then you will be fine. I don't know if I necessarily agree that you have defensive depth, but we will see.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Hey, if you think the Leafs are going to sink and won't be acquiring any dman in the next 7 years then have at it.

I think you're in for a disappointment however.

They are not going to sink. They just won't win a Cup with that line-up.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sorry this statement makes no sense. The word "priority" implies an order of decisions. Who states they priorities and goes to the bottom of the list of those priorities. A pretty stupid person IMO.
Priority was your word not mine. If you think they make a list and will only do things in the order that they wrote them in, that's on you.
They aren't making a cake here.
Could be you're projecting and are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time. I'm confident the Leafs management can think about and act on multiple things at the same time.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, I thought it was a stupid statement as well but then I thought of it and he's right.

Teams have multiple needs. EVERY team. You list them in terms of priorities, sure, say #1 through 5....

JUST because something is #1 doesn't mean you can't fill out #2 or #3 before that. #1 may not present itself at all during the offseason (for example). Doesn't mean you can't fill out #2/3/4/etc

OPPORTUNITIES exist and when they present themselves you go for it.
Surprised any of this needs to be stated.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
It's also the strategy that sank the Islander's season last year and John Tavares happened to be the centerpiece of that failed strategy.

I have no current reason to think our defensive results won't be at least as good as last season which was a hell of a lot better than Isles so you have no point.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
They are not going to sink. They just won't win a Cup with that line-up.

But I think you have to wrap your head around the idea this was a long term play.

If the Leafs bow out in the 1st/2nd round this year and don't acquire a dman and the D still looks suspect, it doesn't mean you were right. It's not a "hey, see! I told you!".

They still have 6 more years! The idea was to build a Cup winner. The ingredients don't all come together in 1 summer. We've been building this thing for years now.

Like I said, if we don't win the Cup this year the Tavares signing was by no means a failure. Still 6 more years to get it right (and really, by getting it "right" I think we both agree it means acquiring a dman).

They will undoubtedly acquire a dman at some point. At that juncture it's take your shot with this lineup and let the chips fall where they may.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Priority was your word not mine. If you think they make a list and will only do things in the order that they wrote them in, that's on you.
They aren't making a cake here.
Could be you're projecting and are incapable of doing more than one thing at a time. I'm confident the Leafs management can think about and act on multiple things at the same time.

Eh? Again you're not making any sense. Did you or did you not use the word "priority" in post 364?

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
But I think you have to wrap your head around the idea this was a long term play.

If the Leafs bow out in the 1st/2nd round this year and don't acquire a dman and the D still looks suspect, it doesn't mean you were right. It's not a "hey, see! I told you!".

They still have 6 more years! The idea was to build a Cup winner. The ingredients don't all come together in 1 summer. We've been building this thing for years now.

Like I said, if we don't win the Cup this year the Tavares signing was by no means a failure. Still 6 more years to get it right (and really, by getting it "right" I think we both agree it means acquiring a dman).

They will undoubtedly acquire a dman at some point. At that juncture it's take your shot with this lineup and let the chips fall where they may.

This is all true, but it is also 6 more years of Tavares contract hanging around your neck.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

luckily we have much better management than you had last year, and more talent.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
This is all true, but it is also 6 more years of Tavares contract hanging around your neck.

Not even sure that's a bad thing considering we would have the majority of our core locked in.

2 years from now when Marleaus $6.25M comes off the books, that's still 5 years with JT and a 22 yr old Matthews and Marner. Plus now the $6.25M to hand out to a dman (if needed).

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Not even sure that's a bad thing considering we would have the majority of our core locked in.

2 years from now when Marleaus $6.25M comes off the books, that's still 5 years with JT and a 22 yr old Matthews and Marner. Plus now the $6.25M to hand out to a dman (if needed).

But you're going to have to give something up. Majority implies not everyone. Which great young player is going to be for grabs next year or the year following? Mariner?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
But you're going to have to give something up. Majority implies not everyone. Which great young player is going to be for grabs next year or the year following? Mariner?

Probably 1 of Brown/Kapanen/Hyman.

It sure as heck won't be Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Of the core, we most likely don't need to give anyone up... unless a great trade to add a RHD to the core group... so really, just swapping one core, for another. Non-core players, we will have to move on, from time to time.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Of the core, we most likely don't need to give anyone up... unless a great trade to add a RHD to the core group... so really, just swapping one core, for another. Non-core players, we will have to move on, from time to time.

Agreed. That's why I suggested Brown/Kapanen/Hyman. 1 will likely have to go at some point.

Of the core players, they will all be locked in long term to contracts within the next 12 months. Nobody will have to go.

Swapping Brown for a Grundstrom (for example) may even be an upgrade in some areas.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Probably 1 of Brown/Kapanen/Hyman.

It sure as heck won't be Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares.

That's an all offense core. Where's your defensive core? The argument the OP has made is valid. Time to get off the pot.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
That's an all offense core. Where's your defensive core? The argument the OP has made is valid. Time to get off the pot.
No team is perfect, the Leafs will be built more offensively just like how the Pens were built.
There's not one way to build a cup contender.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
We could use a little snarl on our bottom pair in particular but we don't specifically need defensive defensemen. We just need good puck movers who are reliable in their own end imo. More two way defenders.

Whether an acquired physical D man is on the bottom pairing or top 4, I think he's a necessity.
Of course a bottom pairing guy isn't going to cost the Leafs as much, in terms of money or
what assets they'd have to give up.

But yeah, a good physical, solid bottom 5 or 6 Dman would help a lot.

Leafs D got pushed around way too often in the Bruins series loss. It was all too evident
that the Leafs need an upgrade in defense, if they're ever going to go all the way. The
playoffs are very rough.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Rielly, Dermott and hopefully Lilijgren. None of those guys are likely moving.

It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good start also.

Reactions: Mork

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
If that be the case then you will be fine. I don't know if I necessarily agree that you have defensive depth, but we will see.

Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey, Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Holl, Ozhiganov, even Marincin for a stint. That's 11 NHL capable defensemen. Some are no more than 5-6s but that's fine, it's still depth.

Reactions: Mork

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad