Line Combos: TOR needs to **** or get off the pot in regards to our defense

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Whether an acquired physical D man is on the bottom pairing or top 4, I think he's a necessity.
Of course a bottom pairing guy isn't going to cost the Leafs as much, in terms of money or
what assets they'd have to give up.

But yeah, a good physical, solid bottom 5 or 6 Dman would help a lot.

Leafs D got pushed around way too often in the Bruins series loss. It was all too evident
that the Leafs need an upgrade in defense, if they're ever going to go all the way. The
playoffs are very rough.

Top 4 is ideal really I suppose since Borgman is capable of the bottom pair role for us.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Also Borgman easily replaces Polak in terms of physical edge while being better in several other respects. He never should have come out of the lineup imo

Also Zaitsev has an underrated physical game
Borgman is a left and Polak is a right.
Left side will be: Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, (??Rosman/Borgman/??Marincin)
Right side is Zaitsev, Hainsey,(???Carrick/???Ozhiganov/...Holl???/…:help:)
I am sure hoping Oz can move the puck and Zaitsev plays well

Reactions: therealkoho

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey, Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Holl, Ozhiganov, even Marincin for a stint. That's 11 NHL capable defensemen. Some are no more than 5-6s but that's fine, it's still depth.

How did that depth do in the playoffs last year and the year before that?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Borgman is a left and Polak is a right.
Left side will be: Rielly, Gardiner, Dermott, (??Rosman/Borgman/??Marincin)
Right side is Zaitsev, Hainsey,(???Carrick/???Ozhiganov/...Holl???/…:help:)
I am sure hoping Oz can move the puck and Zaitsev plays well

Well, many players are capable of playing their offside, especially if an NHL job depends on it. That said, I'm intrigued somewhat by the idea still of:

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev

Reactions: Erndog

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
How did that depth do in the playoffs last year and the year before that?
Dermott, Hainsey, Borgman, Rosen, Holl and Ozhiganov were not with the Leafs in the Washington series and the right side was weak against the Boston series. Still got to 7 games and the Leafs have improved since then.

Nobody is saying the Leafs D is perfect but here's the thing, it doesn't need to be.

Reactions: Mork

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Well, many players are capable of playing their offside, especially if an NHL job depends on it. That said, I'm intrigued somewhat by the idea still of:

Gardiner - Rielly
Dermott - Hainsey
Borgman - Zaitsev
Now that the top opposing dman pairings will split duties with 2 lines, it might work to pull back Gardiner from a bit of Matthews ice time and move him the tough offensive matchup duties. It could work

Reactions: Sypher04

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I never personally felt that Borgman deserved to be taken out of the lineup

Numbers game. Logjam at LD, and Dermott was able to take on more of a workload. I agree there's potential there with Borgman.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev, Dermott, Hainsey, Carrick, Borgman, Rosen, Holl, Ozhiganov, even Marincin for a stint. That's 11 NHL capable defensemen. Some are no more than 5-6s but that's fine, it's still depth.

Sandin, Durzi, Rasanen, Liljegren, Lindgren, Nielsen.....

We will continue to draft, and we will continue to look to Europe, for hidden gems.

We will have guys like Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott as cost controlled assets for years. We will have a pipeline of other cost controlled guys for 5/6.

No elite names, but there are plenty of names there. Often some of the better D men come from later rounds, so we need to continue to draft and develop. We sure could use a Josh Manson, but he was a 6th round pick. Or a durable Tanev, who was undrafted, Brett Pesce was a third round pick.

Development of D is the key here. Some will work out, some won't... the more we have, the better our development system, the more we can plug in to fill holes.

Reactions: Mork

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Sandin, Durzi, Rasanen, Liljegren, Lindgren, Nielsen.....

We will continue to draft, and we will continue to look to Europe, for hidden gems.

We will have guys like Sandin, Liljegren, Dermott as cost controlled assets for years. We will have a pipeline of other cost controlled guys for 5/6.

No elite names, but there are plenty of names there. Often some of the better D men come from later rounds, so we need to continue to draft and develop. We sure could use a Josh Manson, but he was a 6th round pick. Or a durable Tanev, who was undrafted, Brett Pesce was a third round pick.

Development of D is the key here. Some will work out, some won't... the more we have, the better our development system, the more we can plug in to fill holes.

For sure, I was just focused on guys who could play in the NHL now if needed.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
While I'm happy Dermott got in, I feel like Polak was the more obvious one to remove. I understand why he wasn't, but I would have preferred Borgman & Dermott both were in.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
While I'm happy Dermott got in, I feel like Polak was the more obvious one to remove. I understand why he wasn't, but I would have preferred Borgman & Dermott both were in.

Polak is a RHD

Borgman and Dermott are LHD.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would like to see the Leafs continue to do exactly what they're already doing -- which is drafting and developing young players at all positions including defence.

The Leafs might already have all the defencemen they will need within their own system. The "shit or get off the pot" crowd can go to Hell while the Leafs patiently develop their own defencemen.

That's a silly expression anyways. It implies that Leafs management can't make up their minds, when all the evidence suggests they have already made a decision to develop from within. It's not the decision that the OP and many others would like, but I think they have made a decision not to go to the used-defenceman store and pony up for someone else's defenceman. I'm good with that.

Reactions: Sypher04

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
Just a word of warning about pearl necklaces. They are not always what they appear..... Err you know they can be fake or worse.

Okay I just googled and binged to triple check. We did indeed sign John Tavares and not Johan Tavarov.

You got me scared with your crazy talk about fake pearl necklaces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->