Confirmed with Link: [TOR/MTL] Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) & Kyle Baun for Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev & TOR 2nd 2018

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Depth trade for a UFA player that needed to move on from a non-playoff team to a playoff team for not much. 1000 replies lol. Bless you all, seriously, I modded in a time where no one could hardly be bothered to put a GDT up.

For the record, Squiffy approves of this trade.

Go Leafs Go

Reactions: leburn98

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Depth trade for a UFA player that needed to move on from a non-playoff team to a playoff team for not much. 1000 replies lol. Bless you all, seriously, I modded in a time where no one could hardly be bothered to put a GDT up.

For the record, Squiffy approves of this trade.

Go Leafs Go

Squiff did you used to mod at Penaltybox.com/TMLFans.ca ? I modded there for a bit around 2002 I want to say?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
We gain a roster spot with this deal as well, right? Where are we currently at for the team?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Squiff did you used to mod at Penaltybox.com/TMLFans.ca ? I modded there for a bit around 2002 I want to say?

No, I did my time here, JFJ and Burke years. Dark times.

I was around on those boards but never big until here, back in the day at this point.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
I love how you want to win so bad for this reason and not just to see our beloved team win it all lol.

I want that cup so bad. When we win, it will feel like I won. My first game at the gardens was watching Alan Bester get lit up. If we can win the cup why not troll the habs at the same time? win win

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No, I did my time here, JFJ and Burke years. Dark times.

I was around on those boards but never big until here, back in the day at this point.

Glad you came back without a paper bag over your head. :laugh:

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I f***ing hate montreal. Feels almost like a deal with the devil.

We may win, but at the cost of our very soulllllls! :laugh:

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Yep, there's much to happy about!

Indeed. Are we a top bet for the cup this year? No, not really. But is the mere suggestion laughable? Nope. And barring catestrophic management, such as say trading for Karlesson, it’s sustainable.

It’s hard to say it’s more exciting then the 90’s Clark teams or the 2000 Sundin teams, because they haven’t done what those teams did yet, but you get the feeling these teams are getting there real fast And real young.

Go Leafs Go

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Our “fourth line” is better than quite a few third lines in the league id say. There’s always a chance it doesn’t work out but on paper Komarov-Plekanec-Kapanen looks real nice

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
One thing I like is that Plekanec's shooting % is a paltry 4.8% at the moment. He's shot north 7% over the previous 2 years.

Unless there's some element of his game that has visibly declined this year over last, we should be the beneficiary of his SH% normalizing.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Only on HF is a 2nd rounder a ''significant piece. Never change Hf
Yeah, agree ... that is total B.S.

It is a second rounder - for crying out loud! Then we get the sermonizing about how to not trade away the future.

The future is a second rounder? Give me a break!

The single second round draft given up by the Maple Leafs today, is immaterial for winning in the future. There is no doubt about that.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Kapanan

Hainsey - Rielly
Zaitsev - Gardiner

Of the forwards, on all 4 lines, there are 7 first round draft choices. If we omit the fourth line, the the top 3 lines today would have 6 first round draft choices, 2/3 of the line up at forward.

Seems to me, the Leafs top 4 defensemen, 3 were first round draft choices.

The top 3 lines, the top 4 defensemen, of the 13 players, you got 9 first round draft choices in the line up.

Why the hell are we even talking about a 2nd round draft choice in the future? That 2nd round draft choice will be better than these 9 first rounders. That 2nd rounder traded is gonna be mighty awesome!

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
Yeah, agree ... that is total B.S.

It is a second rounder - for crying out loud! Then we get the sermonizing about how to not trade away the future.

The future is a second rounder? Give me a break!

The single second round draft given up by the Maple Leafs today, is immaterial for winning in the future. There is no doubt about that.

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Komarov - Moore - Kapanan

Hainsey - Rielly
Zaitsev - Gardiner

Of the forwards, on all 4 lines, there are 7 first round draft choices. If we omit the fourth line, the the top 3 lines today would have 6 first round draft choices, 2/3 of the line up at forward.

Seems to me, the Leafs top 4 defensemen, 3 were first round draft choices.

The top 3 lines, the top 4 defensemen, of the 13 players, you got 9 first round draft choices in the line up.

Why the hell are we even talking about a 2nd round draft choice in the future? That 2nd round draft choice will be better than these 9 first rounders. That 2nd rounder traded is gonna be mighty awesome!

We are talking about the 2nd round pick because not everyone thinks using them to upgrade a 4th line position in back to back seasons is a good way to utilize them. It’s easy to say that it’s only a 2nd and they rarely pan out. But a big 22 year old RHD Hamilton went for 2 2nds and a mid 1st. If 4th line C is so important they should have shipped out Martin and paid for a good 4th line C in FA. I don’t hate this deal, I just think they could be managing assets abit better.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We are talking about the 2nd round pick because they not everyone thinks using them to upgrade a 4th line position in back to back seasons is a good way to utilize them. It’s easy to say that it’s only a 2nd and they rarely pan out. But a big 22 year old RHD Hamilton went for 2 2nds and a mid 1st. If 4th line C is so important they should have shipped out Martin and paid for a good 4th line C in FA. I don’t hate this deal, I just think they could be managing assets abit better.

I think with the benefit of hindsight, we don't sign Matt Martin to that contract and we re-sign Boyle in this last off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad