Confirmed with Link: [TOR/MTL] Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) & Kyle Baun for Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev & TOR 2nd 2018

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Plekanec excited to join talented Leafs team, open to returning as UFA

After being acquired by the Maple Leafs, Tomas Plekanec says he is excited to join a talented team in Toronto that will be playing for the Stanley Cup and that he understands why the move was made by Marc Bergevin. He also leaves the door open to return to Montreal as a free agent this summer.

Plekanec excited to join talented Leafs team, open to returning as UFA

He was the opposite of excited :)

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Wonder how long it's going to take for people to correctly spell Plekanec before he's gone after this season since he didn't seemed too enthused to be joining us after 15 years with the Habs.

His heart and family are obviously still with them, but as long as his does his job while here, who cares I guess.

What makes you say that? In the interview he gave in Montreal he said he was very excited to be joining a good team and be competing in the playoffs.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
What makes you say that? In the interview he gave in Montreal he said he was very excited to be joining a good team and be competing in the playoffs.

You can say one thing, but your tone and body language says something else. Excited is not what I would have used at all based on the interview I saw.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Jason York says he has watched every Habs game and does not like this deal for the Leafs. Thinks Pleks may not even be as good as Moore who is grittier. Says a #3C needs to be hard on the other teams #1 line and Pleks is not that guy. Says he is not a playoff performer and is now older. Thinks the Habs won this deal big time. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. Hope Pleks proves him wrong.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You can say one thing, but your tone and body language says something else. Excited is not what I would have used at all based on the interview I saw.

Some people are just bland. I read his body language as him just being even keel.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Jason York says he has watched every Habs game and does not like this deal for the Leafs. Thinks Pleks may not even be as good as Moore who is grittier. Says a #3C needs to be hard on the other teams #1 line and Pleks is not that guy. Says he is not a playoff performer and is now older. Thinks the Habs won this deal big time. Everybody is entitled to their opinions. Hope Pleks proves him wrong.

He's our #4C now and Babs normally lines up Naz vs the opposition's big lines.

I think Pleks is at the very least an offensive improvement over Moore and kills penalties much better.

Habarazzi

Feb 19, 2008

There's no such thing as an "excited Plekanec" ... he's just a low key guy, all the time.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017

Yeah tone and body language says it all in this interview. He is not excited at all lol.

CharlieKelly

Feb 19, 2012
Yeah tone and body language says it all in this interview. He is not excited at all lol.

Remember when everyone dissected AM’s tone and body language from draft night for months? This guy is along time pro, playing for his next contract, he’s going to be fine.

Plekanec is a good addition to our centre depth, and all we gave up was one of two second round picks. Would I have preferred to give up a third? For sure, but our guys will do great work with our existing second and our third, so I am fine with this deal.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
That sounds like a very dumb opinion. Plekanec is miles better than Moore

Reactions: glue

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I just hope they make some additional moves today to get a pick or two back. Yes they lost a 2nd for 2018, but they've gained a 2019 3rd and a 2020 7th (Yes those picks aren't as good, but better than nothing).

All depends on St. Louis' record next year, Leafs 2nd this year will be late in the 2nd round. If St. Louis sucks next year, for all we know, that 3rd will be just a few spots lower than the Leafs' 2nd this year.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Not to mention, a very low 2nd rounder.

Its crazy how people value these things. A few draft picks mean absolutely nothing right now. The Leafs have a line-up of prospects trying to crack the NHL roster, they can afford to ship out some picks in order to make their team better now.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Who?

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Remember when everyone dissected AM’s tone and body language from draft night for months? This guy is along time pro, playing for his next contract, he’s going to be fine.

Plekanec is a good addition to our centre depth, and all we gave up was one of two second round picks. Would I have preferred to give up a third? For sure, but our guys will do great work with our existing second and our third, so I am fine with this deal.

lol I think we were giving AM a pass because when they interviewed him, he was in Europe and it was like 3 or 4am in the morning when he did the interview. Pleks may very well be a ho hum guy like some are saying, but I just got the impression he sees himself as a strictly a rental, even if he excels while here.
Kinda disappointing, but anything can happen between now and then.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Hate this deal. Hate that it's a waste to all things: the Habs.
We'd better have a good playoff run. If we get bounced in the 1st round I'm going to be even less than impressed.
I already don't like the JVR situation and now this.
Turtleneck, Bozak and JVR better be the best players on this team.

Yes let's sell the UFa and tank. Great message to the team that that has been the best in the NHl the past 15 games.
Every top team can make moves like this except the Leafs.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
I heard this this morning too. Made me facepalm while driving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad