Confirmed with Link: [TOR/MTL] Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) & Kyle Baun for Kerby Rychel, Rinat Valiev & TOR 2nd 2018

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I thought he looked good. Not that he had a great game, but his playstyle and positioning tonight were pretty good and he seems like the type of player Babcock wants as a 4th line C. Just took 2 bad penalties which is something that I am sure won't be happening routinely going forward.

Solid defensively, good outlet passes, some offensive talent. It's nice to have 3 centers that can be counted on to take defensive assignments and do well when needed. Will probably look even better as time goes on.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
2 bad penalties and a major cause for TBay second goal. Can anyone name a 4th line C in the league that wouldn’t be watching the next few games in the press box after a night like that?

He wasn’t tasked to do anything special tonight and his line was routinely outplayed by there 3rd and 4th lines.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
2 bad penalties and a major cause for TBay second goal. Can anyone name a 4th line C in the league that wouldn’t be watching the next few games in the press box after a night like that?

He wasn’t tasked to do anything special tonight and his line was routinely outplayed by there 3rd and 4th lines.
Well, the league doesn't really throw a player in the press box for one game if they are solid roster players, so that would be pretty much all of them.

Reactions: HockeyThoughts

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Well, the league doesn't really throw a player in the press box for one game if they are solid roster players, so that would be pretty much all of them.

Really. You don’t know any vets who get placed in the press box, typically 4th liners if they can’t get the job done. NHL Management has low expectations of 4th liners, give some spark or energy and don’t do anything determinal to the team in the 8 mins of ice time you receive. 4th liners are the easiest players to find anywhere in the league or minors.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Really. You don’t know any vets who get placed in the press box, typically 4th liners if they can’t get the job done. NHL Management has low expectations of 4th liners, give some spark or energy and don’t do anything determinal to the team in the 8 mins of ice time you receive. 4th liners are the easiest players to find anywhere in the league or minors.
No, I don't know any regulars who gets sat solely because of what they do in one game.

Trying to paint him as an every day fourth liner just makes it look like you are trying to force an agenda. He's a third line center playing on a fourth line because we actually have depth. He had a debut where he was overly aggressive.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Remains to be seen how Plekanec will do but I wonder in the long run we'll wish we hadn't surrendered 2 2nd rounders to division rivals when we could have held on and deepened the pool?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Honestly guys..you cant assess him his first game. We play way different than MTL in a big way..1 we win lol score at will most nights and we are way faster. I can see him be moved with JVR if Bozak slumps. Id like to try him on the PP take Marleau off..any yr but this ons he is a goal scorer not a sniper but avg or a bit above. Marleau is killing me offensively lately. Tonight big slappers missing the net entirely or right at Vase..he had more time on several and that breakaway was bad. That sams breakaway happened a game or w ago did the same thing...way too close and shoveled it. Outside Marner Kadri Kapenen Gardiner and Rielly maybe Hainsey we were that great tonight. Leivo was ok as well, but hes supposed to be a goal scorer, he slowed our 4 on 3 and 5 on 3 down so much it was wasted..though yes Rielly hit 2 posts.

With Plek...I think he will be fine and a huge upgrade on Moore. He is fast and if and when Kapenen moves with him he can keep up.

Reactions: The Cobra

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
I saw one thing I was ecstatic about and hope it wasn't just hyper-legs:

He wasn't slow. Skating did not look like an issue.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Something interesting to think about with this trade....

Perhaps its not so much about "shoring up the 4th line"; as it is giving the Leafs options at home when they play Boston or Tampa?

If they play Boston, every time Pastrnak/Bergy/Marchand come on the ice, Marleau/Kadri/Komarov to follow. Every time Nash & Krejci come on the ice, Plekanec, Kapanen, and Brown to follow. Obviously that will limit the ice time you can get out of Matthews/Nylander/Marner/JvR, but it will be easy minutes for them.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Evaluating him after 1 game against the best team is pointless and I am sure psychologically he 'isn't there' just yet after being with Montreal his whole career, he has to adjust to new players, a new coaching system etc. No biggie.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Habs fan here, didn’t come here looking for a fight. It will be hard as a Habs fan seeing Pleky in a Maple Leaf jersey, especially when we’re going to play against him for the first time. Going to miss you Pleky!! You were one of my favourite players.

Good luck in Toronto!!!

Reactions: The Cobra

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario

Odd. Don't see why he thinks he should be in the NHL based on what he has done in his career so far. Good for him I guess.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Odd. Don't see why he thinks he should be in the NHL based on what he has done in his career so far. Good for him I guess.

Probably had to do with guys like Holl and Dermott getting chances over him, when it was evident he was surpassed on the depth chart.

I've liked his skill set though I think his potential isn't beyond a 3rd pairing d-man. Wish him luck in the future ... Although I hope the Habs move him before he does anything good ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad