PTO: [TOR] Michal Neuvirth PTO with the Leafs (released)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In the past Neuvy had been pretty solid when he wasn't injured but last season he terrible when he was able to play and his injury problems seemed to get worse. It seemed like he would get hurt and then as soon as you heard he was close to being back he would get hurt in practice and set him back for another few weeks and the cycle continues all season. I've literally never heard of someone getting hurt so often during practice and warmups. Sadly I think his run of injuries has taken a toll and he's just too broken down to be relied on for more than 10-15 games a season and even then his flexibility doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Thankfully we only 10-15 games out of him

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Thankfully we only 10-15 games out of him
That's a good thing if that's true but it's pretty rare for goalies to play ~70 games these days. The other problem is, he may be healthy for a month and play 4-5 games but then be hurt for 2 months straight and you'll think he's coming back half way through and then he'll get hurt again in practice. Ideally he plays a game every two weeks or so and lives in a bubble between starts.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That's a good thing if that's true but it's pretty rare for goalies to play ~70 games these days. The other problem is, he may be healthy for a month and play 4-5 games but then be hurt for 2 months straight and you'll think he's coming back half way through and then he'll get hurt again in practice. Ideally he plays a game every two weeks or so and lives in a bubble between starts.

The ideal range for Andersen if he's healthy all season is 57-60 games.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The ideal range for Andersen if he's healthy all season is 57-60 games.
That seems about right. You want to keep your starter healthy and fresh heading into the playoffs. I'm just not sure Neuvy can be counted on for 20-25 starts anymore. More importantly I'm not sure that he can be counted on for 3-4 starts each month from October to March. He might get to 15 starts but it's likely going to include a month or two with 5-6 starts and a couple months with none due to injury.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
That seems about right. You want to keep your starter healthy and fresh heading into the playoffs. I'm just not sure Neuvy can be counted on for 20-25 starts anymore. More importantly I'm not sure that he can be counted on for 3-4 starts each month from October to March. He might get to 15 starts but it's likely going to include a month or two with 5-6 starts and a couple months with none due to injury.

Yeah, I'd reluctantly start Hutchison for those games and see where it goes.

At worst you flip a 5th for another backup.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's pretty good when he is healthy. Unfortunately he gets injured roughly once every three starts. Any team that has him as the #2 better have a reliable #3.
That might work well for the Leafs if Hutchison is on the Marlies, the Leafs & Marlies arenas are 10 mins apart so call ups can happen in a hurry for home games too. Seems like a good move

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Neuvirth's last game was January 3rd.

Michal Neuvirth’s injury leads Flyers to acquire 7th goalie this season

The Flyers were in a tight spot and claimed him Friday after Michal Neuvirth got hurt in Thursday night’s 5-3 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes. Neuvirth appeared fine after the game when interviewed by reporters, but apparently not Friday morning when general manager Chuck Fletcher said he would be day-to-day with a “lower-body injury.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad