PTO: [TOR] Michal Neuvirth PTO with the Leafs (released)

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Sadly, he sprained his wrist signing the contract and will now miss training camp.

Yeah Neuvirth is a strange one. Hurt all the time and he randomly collapsed during a Flyers game this past season...literally just fell down during the game. Had it been ANYONE ELSE I wouldve been concerned, but I knew it was nothing because it was Neuvirth.

Hope TBL realizes they'll be getting mediocre goaltending for 10-15 games (at most) and will use their medical staff and trainers on this guy regularly.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No risk involved. When healthy Neuvirth is a good goalie and would be a great backup for Andersen . He just is not healthy all that often. Maybe the Leafs get lucky here if they don't he'll be released.

Draisaitl

Dude, where's Makar?
Oct 18, 2013
Berlin
giphy.com
Back in 2010-2011-2012 I thought this guy might become one of the best goalies in NHL history. what was I thinking?
And f***ing time flies!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Who, or what is an Adam Papousek? I hope he's right because Sparks is awful, and if healthy Neuvirth is a good goalie but this appears to be some dude saying this

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I knew the Leafs would bring an extra goalie to camp, just didn't know who. This is about as good as it gets for the backup job. Now Neuvirth and Hutchinson can fight it out for the backup job, and Sparks can be sent to live on my uncle's farm to run free in the grass where he'll be happy.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Seems he'll have a very real chance of making the team. The Leafs are obviously (and understandably) not sold on their backup situation.

Reactions: qqaz

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I knew the Leafs would bring an extra goalie to camp, just didn't know who. This is about as good as it gets for the backup job. Now Neuvirth and Hutchinson can fight it out for the backup job, and Sparks can be sent to live on my uncles farm to run free in the grass where he'll be happy.

You send animals to the "farm" when you put them down,

we aren't putting Garett Sparks down

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
You send animals to the "farm" when you put them down,

we aren't putting Garett Sparks down

I don't believe he ever plays a game for the Leafs again. He'll be waived during training camp and if he clears will stay in the AHL. If he gets claimed, then the "farm" analogy is close enough.

Even if a different team gives him a look, he may not play in the NHL. He was unquestionably not NHL quality last season.

Reactions: Ciao and smitty10

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yeah Neuvirth is a strange one. Hurt all the time and he randomly collapsed during a Flyers game this past season...literally just fell down during the game. Had it been ANYONE ELSE I wouldve been concerned, but I knew it was nothing because it was Neuvirth.

Hope TBL realizes they'll be getting mediocre goaltending for 10-15 games (at most) and will use their medical staff and trainers on this guy regularly.

Its Toronto not Tampa.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don't believe he ever plays a game for the Leafs again. He'll be waived during training camp and if he clears will stay in the AHL. If he gets claimed, then the "farm" analogy is close enough.

Even if a different team gives him a look, he may not play in the NHL. He was unquestionably not NHL quality last season.

I pray you are correct

Reactions: qqaz

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Health would be the only reason he wouldn't make the team because if healthy he is MILES better than Sparks

I don't even think Sparks is in the conversation. It's much more likely it's a Neuvirth vs Hutchinson battle with Sparks just pretending to be involved.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I don't even think Sparks is in the conversation. It's much more likely it's a Neuvirth vs Hutchinson battle with Sparks just pretending to be involved.

That's how I see it, too. Neuvirth vs Hutchinson.

Hutch has the better chance of landing the job, just based on contract situation. He's already signed to a deal for this coming season, at a price that the Leafs can afford.

Neuvirth, on the other hand, while being the more talented goalie, is still just on a PTO. Meaning he's easier to discard if he doesn't do much better than Hutch, and he could also sign somewhere else for more money if he vastly outperforms on the try-out.

Sparks will just be filling a net for scrimmages during camp.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In the past Neuvy had been pretty solid when he wasn't injured but last season he terrible when he was able to play and his injury problems seemed to get worse. It seemed like he would get hurt and then as soon as you heard he was close to being back he would get hurt in practice and set him back for another few weeks and the cycle continues all season. I've literally never heard of someone getting hurt so often during practice and warmups. Sadly I think his run of injuries has taken a toll and he's just too broken down to be relied on for more than 10-15 games a season and even then his flexibility doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Well...this is wrong.

He collapsed in April 2017....so 2 years ago. Not this season.

And it's TML, not TBL.

Hakstol I am sure vouched for Neuvirth. Had 2 good years, 2 bad years in Philly. Such is the way with backups. He WILL make some incredible saves, only to get hurt wiping his ass after going to the bathroom.

If he could stay healthy, he can be a great backup.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well...this is wrong.

He collapsed in April 2017....so 2 years ago. Not this season.

And it's TML, not TBL.

Hakstol I am sure vouched for Neuvirth. Had 2 good years, 2 bad years in Philly. Such is the way with backups. He WILL make some incredible saves, only to get hurt wiping his ass after going to the bathroom.

If he could stay healthy, he can be a great backup.

That's the thing, IF he can stay healthy the backup job is his

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad