Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV) part 3

How Fair Is This Contract.

• Total voters

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
So Leafs aren't resigning Kapanen before July 1st and will only sign him to a discount not to a fair contract? I don't understand your logic here.
I'd say a rival GM will offer Kapanen a contract that may have both $$$, and term than what the Leafs may be comfortable with.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think it's a deal for either player or the team. It doesn't solve the teams problem with impeding contracts for their other players and getting it to fit into the cap.

It puts puts far too much risk on Matthews which he probably doesn't deserve. There is no NMC for Matthews which I find is odd for one of the leagues top talent. Clearly to me, the tea leaves are reading as if there is a promise from the GM about maximizing cup contention.

But, Matthews will probably learn that GM's word is about as good as a Marine recruiter. I don't see Marleau willing to accept a trade unless they win the cup this year.

Nylander will probably be traded this off-season. Something that will likely bother Matthews. I just don't know if the Leafs can get as much from a Nylander deal considering they are letting him rot on the bottom 6.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I don't think it's a deal for either player or the team. It doesn't solve the teams problem with impeding contracts for their other players and getting it to fit into the cap.

It puts puts far too much risk on Matthews which he probably doesn't deserve. There is no NMC for Matthews which I find is odd for one of the leagues top talent. Clearly to me, the tea leaves are reading as if there is a promise from the GM about maximizing cup contention.

But, Matthews will probably learn that GM's word is about as good as a Marine recruiter. I don't see Marleau willing to accept a trade unless they win the cup this year.

Nylander will probably be traded this off-season. Something that will likely bother Matthews. I just don't know if the Leafs can get as much from a Nylander deal considering they are letting him rot on the bottom 6.
There is an NMC in the contract but I believe it's only in the last year.

Grimmas

Mar 13, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'd say a rival GM will offer Kapanen a contract that may have both $$$, and term than what the Leafs may be comfortable with.

Assuming he is resigned by July 1st and assuming he wants to leave a Leafs fair contract (which may be shorter) for a longer fair contract on a team that isn't the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad