Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin - 4 Years // 2.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
This is exactly what the Leafs needed. a 4th liner that can play hockey and fight, while leading the league in hits.

2.5M is nothing, stop crying guys

Vrethis

Apr 8, 2013
Love it. We can't just ice a team full of kids without protection. With Komarov and Martin we won't be pushed around. Term isn't optimal but that's the price you pay for UFAs.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
So we have a plethora of prospects in the Marlies who can do this job for league minimum or less than a mill and we go out and get Matt Martin.

Worst move of the Lou era so far. I can stomach this if it's not much worse than this.

Who on the Marlies can do this? Rich ****ing Clune? :laugh: get out of here

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What Martin gives us:

* Grit
* Physicality
* Decent possession game (Basically even over his recent career, weighed heavily towards supression)
* Toughness/Fighting
* High end 4th line production

As a reliable 4th line guy that rarely misses a game, at the cost of $2.5M which means that the worst case scenario is that he's a $1.6M anchor on the cap.

It's not all that bad. It could even be good, depending on how you value grit, physicality and toughness. I don't value it all that high personally, but some do.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What Martin gives us:

* Grit
* Physicality
* Decent possession game (Basically even over his recent career, weighed heavily towards supression)
* Toughness/Fighting

As a reliable 4th line guy that rarely misses a game, at the cost of $2.5M which means that the worst case scenario is that he's a $1.6M anchor on the cap.

It's not all that bad. It could even be good, depending on how you value grit, physicality and toughness. I don't value it all that high personally, but some do.

Fair assessment.

Las Vegas could probably use him too.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
Awesome signing. Now i won't have worry about Marner Matthews Nylander getting bullied out there... People on here are so annoying. Would you rather pay a fighter 2.5m or risk the development of our young guys??? When young players get bullied by other teams will just confidence and will not develop proper!!!! Martin won't let that happen!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Love the deal tbh. Our forward core is as soft as baby ****.

Fine with the money and the term considering he's only 27.

I agree, really need some protection for our young future stars and this guy can play some too.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
What Martin gives us:

* Grit
* Physicality
* Toughness/Fighting

Martin is the bodyguard for Matthews, Marner, Nylander. That's it.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Leading the NHL in hits or any real time stat means nothing due to scorekeeper bias. The Isles scorekeeper is notorious for inflating hit counts. Them, the Leafs, and the Flyers. Just like the North Stars scorekeeper inflated shot totals like crazy.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I'm not a fan of this deal at all. Too much money, too much term, for a 4th line player. Especially term, which is my issue with most free agent contracts that are handed out. I'd rather pay more for shorter term, when the vast majority of players aren't close to worth their salary near the end of the contracts.

However, it's not a contract that will cripple us down the line, and I can at least see the argument that we can use a player of this type. But that is, 'a', as in singular - I don't want other guys like him on the roster, especially on this type of contract.

I won't lose sleep over this, I just would have preferred we didn't sign him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad