Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin - 4 Years // 2.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
for all those who believe analytics favours Martin, here is a nice article debunking the myth

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2016/7/4/12086240/yes-the-matt-martin-contract-is-stupid

Isn't that a blog?

Yup, with a good run through of the numbers. Many of the advocates said analytics justify the signing. This is a counter-argument.

He's not getting number 17. Clarkson was a big enough embarrassment to the Leafs legend.

Yep.

Falls in line nicely with my view.

He's a decent 4th liner on a terrible contract.

^^^ Pretty much.

The article makes the point that every signing will have implications at some point in the future. In this case, it will be four years from now. A lot can happen in 4 years, so we'll see then. The mention of Clarkson was quite poignant.

I'm not seeing impending tragedy necessarily, but there is a need to be prudent and smart about contracts ultimately.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Whether Stamkos came or not they would still have continued to build a core.

I don't recall "lots" thinking he would be the "core", the vast majority just wanted them to add a great player.

All GMs could say that ...... even Burke.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
For those so worried about his term, you do realize that he could get traded at some point in his contract, right?

I'll reserve judgment until I see how he adjusts to Babcock's system. Kadri was seen as a waste by many but he flourished into a better player once he was given the right coach to work with. Babcock isn't going to turn Martin into some star player but I think Babcock has the tools to extract a role from Martin that's better than the assigned 4th line plug that some here have already blessed him with.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If he continues to perform at the same level as he did for the Islanders, his contract is reasonable. A smooth skating, hard nosed winger that is solid defensively, led the NHL in hits, and can score 10 goals/20 points is worth 2.5 million in the current economic landscape of the NHL.

If a similar young player with better offensive numbers were available as a UFA, say 20 goals/40 points, would he not fetch 5 million per season?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Was just going to post that article. They're definitely valid points, especially when saying $2.5 is nothing.

It's nothingness until you have two of them, then they are a Clarkson contract and if you have three its a Semin and if you have 5 of them you have a Semin and Clarkson contract.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It's nothingness until you have two of them, then they are a Clarkson contract and if you have three its a Semin and if you have 5 of them you have a Semin and Clarkson contract.

So we should be proactive and complain about the currently non-existent scenario?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
It is nice that we have only Martin and Polak to cry about this year instead of Ladd/Backes/Brouwer etc. Imagine how the Habs fans are feeling about the Subban deal, or the Canucks fans with their commitment to delay a rebuild again. We are so used to being the club that **** the bed that we have to seize on $2.5M signings to feel bad about. It could have been Russell but it wasn't:handclap:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Devil is in the details ..... obviously.

Probably a difference between Burke's actions & results versus other (more successful) GMs ..... hopefully ....... no .........?

Hope we don't see too much of Burke's tactics in Shanny/Lou's actions or playbook.

Don't hold your breath, Lou and Burke have a long history. Lou has been a long time mentor to Burke.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I'd believe the entire management would be fired if they cloned Martin 5 times and gave them each 2.5m for 4 years.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
A different angle here.

He could be an absolute steal and was being miscast. He scored 10 goals playing 4th line. Lucic with a better cast, playing top 6, scored 19. He is therefore 50 percent plus as good as Lucic and younger. So, what is he worth if he plays 3rd line with Mathews and Marner while scoring 19 goals? A lot more than $2.5M.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
He could be an absolute steal and was being miscast. He scored 10 goals playing 4th line. Lucic with a better cast, playing top 6, scored 19. He is therefore 50 percent plus as good as Lucic and younger. So, what is he worth if he plays 3rd line with Mathews and Marner while scoring 19 goals? A lot more than $2.5M.

I love Martin but your way off base. The guy has hands like feet. 10 goals is as good as it gets.

You guys are going to love him. He's a true heart and soul player. But don't expect things that he hasn't done already otherwise you'll be disappointed. Honest effort on the fourth line and will crash, bang, and protect his teammates.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I love Martin but your way off base. The guy has hands like feet. 10 goals is as good as it gets.

You guys are going to love him. He's a true heart and soul player. But don't expect things that he hasn't done already otherwise you'll be disappointed. Honest effort on the fourth line and will crash, bang, and protect his teammates.

The one way I could see him surprising is if the Leafs more in depth analytics and evaluation showed that a lot of the zone time and turnovers his forecheck was causing was being squandered with CC and Clutterbuck, and he sees some more production being used in a 3rd line role with players that will make better use of those opportunities.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
do people not stop and think?

Anton Stralman and Jason Demers took less money to go on teams that are on a faster/better track than we are. You can not say "well I would want them on that deal." no duh. but would they sign in Toronto for that deal? probably not.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Lol, without Polak or Martin people would be crying all season about lack of physical/tough balance.

Get over yourselves, see the contract as a means to an end. Stop over analyzing. It's a 2.5m contract that doesn't even crossover with many vital players that will need signing.

Polak is 1 freaking year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
do people not stop and think?

Anton Stralman and Jason Demers took less money to go on teams that are on a faster/better track than we are. You can not say "well I would want them on that deal." no duh. but would they sign in Toronto for that deal? probably not.

Some players won't sign in a city no matter the price. There's usually more to it than just contract. Like you mentioned, hard to compare to player X who signed with team Y.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
As much as some people are worried about these signings because they seem to go against the analytics...I'd be worried if all our mgmt relies on is analytics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad