Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Matt Martin - 4 Years // 2.5M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I love Martin but your way off base. The guy has hands like feet. 10 goals is as good as it gets.

You guys are going to love him. He's a true heart and soul player. But don't expect things that he hasn't done already otherwise you'll be disappointed. Honest effort on the fourth line and will crash, bang, and protect his teammates.

Key post here.

Islanders fans love the guy, and most would have gladly given him this contract. That's really all you need to know.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
I think the key point is that as good as analytics, market deficiencies, etc are for trying to maximize your assets - until 29 other teams agree to ice only purely offensive players - your key young assets will develop in an environment where idiots will take senseless runs at them.

It's not to endorse the 'enforcer' rule - but the fact is we got a guy who can hit like a Mac truck, skate well, is decent defensively - and most importantly, will provide a little breathing space for kids like Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc to grow into their games.

It was more about an investment in the prospects than it was trying to overpay for a 4th line player or bottom pairing D.

Babcock was pissed last year with the fact that there was no one to stand up for the kids. Laich and Greening may be veteran presence in the room - but their not going scare many people on the ice.

Also of note - this is NOT a Colton Orr signing - the guy can play his role, defend, and keep up.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
As much as some people are worried about these signings because they seem to go against the analytics...I'd be worried if all our mgmt relies on is analytics.

The thing is though they (especially Martin I'm thinking) don't necessarily go against "the analytics", they go against crudely applied raw corsi tracking.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
do people not stop and think?

Anton Stralman and Jason Demers took less money to go on teams that are on a faster/better track than we are. You can not say "well I would want them on that deal." no duh. but would they sign in Toronto for that deal? probably not.

It talks about those 'types' of players - those are just examples.

If you look at free agency from the past few seasons, you'll see that $5M is a reasonable estimate for how much it costs to add a good top 4 defenceman to a team. Jason Demers, the best UFA defenceman who was available this summer, signed with Florida for a $4.5M cap hit. Two years ago Anton Stralman was the best available defenceman, and he signed for the same amount.

Anyway, back to Matt Martin.

EXPECT THE LEAFS

May 7, 2016
We needed a banger on the bench as a deterrent and if things get out of hand and someone takes a run at one of our up and coming rookies send him over to realign the offender. I like the deal.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
do people not stop and think?

Anton Stralman and Jason Demers took less money to go on teams that are on a faster/better track than we are. You can not say "well I would want them on that deal." no duh. but would they sign in Toronto for that deal? probably not.

you may be correct. But if you add Polak and Martins salaries, you are, what at 4.5 mil next year? I would rather sweeten the deal with Demers and pay him 5.5, WAAAYYY better value.
And the term? I know Polak is one year, but Martin is on a 4 year deal.
I just don't believe we got value with these signings.
And to quote you, Demers went to a team that is on a better track than we are. With signings like that, yes.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
you may be correct. But if you add Polak and Martins salaries, you are, what at 4.5 mil next year? I would rather sweeten the deal with Demers and pay him 5.5, WAAAYYY better value.
And to quote you, Demers went to a team that is on a better track than we are. With signings like that, yes.

Demers most likely doesn't sign with us for 4.5 don't kid yourself

buttman*

Hey I'm a Leaf fan and I'm willing to agree that Martin is the most overpaid bum that has ever played the game if all you trolls will just go away.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Florida barely missed the playoffs last year and made it this year.
We were 4th worst last year and 30th this year.
in 4 years we're maaaaybbeee doing what Florida is doing.

so. even if we sweetened the pot (which i was not adverse to) - we still don't "Help" what demers wanted with that signing.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
According to the Detroit Free Press, the Detroit Red Wings offered Matt Martin a front-loaded contract of four years at an annual average value of $2.5 million. Martin ended up choosing the Toronto Maple Leafs for the same money.

That’s a significant amount of term and money to commit to a grinder who last season averaged 10:33 minutes per game and who has a minus-46 in 438 NHL career games, all with the Islanders. Martin is not a penalty killer and does not take faceoffs.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...oit-red-wings-matt-martin-steve-ott/86657832/

The evidence won’t be seen for months, but a signing the Detroit Red Wings didn’t make this weekend ultimately may turn out for the best.

The Wings wanted to add grit and first targeted Matt Martin.

Martin, 27, made his name as part of an excellent fourth line with the New York Islanders. In 2015-16, he had a career-best 10 goals and 19 points. He has led the NHL in hits every season since 2011-12 (though hits is a subjective stat).

The Wings offered Martin a front-loaded contract of four years at an annual average value of $2.5 million. Martin ended up choosing the Toronto Maple Leafs for the same money.

That’s a significant amount of term and money to commit to a grinder who last season averaged 10:33 minutes per game and who has a minus-46 in 438 NHL career games, all with the Islanders. Martin is not a penalty killer and does not take faceoffs.

When Martin opted for Toronto, the Wings went for a short term and much cheaper option in Steve Ott.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
Greening will be back next year.

Fourth line opening night

Martin -- Laich -- Greening

Unless Martin is put next to Matthews or opposite of Marner's wing.

CaymanIslands

Apr 12, 2014
Cayman Islands
Matt Martin chose Toronto because of Babcock and the work he did to make several pluggers into better players he said so in press.

Yes he has the intangibles that will make the Leafs tougher to play against with huge hits and scrums that we will no longer get pushed around in, board battles, and the odd fight.

BUT he want to improve his play

This makes him to me a HUGE necessary addition

With Komorov, Martin. Polak the leafs have 3 of the top 10 hitters in the league and this will help for sure take us from being soft

shutupbeavis

Jul 2, 2016
I think the analytics case against Martin is a result of looking at the microest of the micro and macroest of the macro. "But 3% of the cap *is* something", even though there are terrible deals on this team that have to expire and most of the top end talent is on ELC or good contracts with bought-out RFA years, and "he's going to handcuff us in three years", even though the cap should rise and there are dozens of examples of worse/more useless players owed Martin's money being traded.

Every move has risk. Even drafting Matthews #1. But there's a difference between what we did, which was jaywalking during the daytime with minimal traffic, and throwing a blindfold on and doing the same. Edmonton's wearing the blindfold. Montreal's wearing the blindfold. We're just waiting for a gap and crossing the street.

The way I see it, we wanted the organization/ownership to clean house-- they did. We wanted them to finally commit to bottoming out and not intend to make the playoffs for a couple years as we acquire talent-- they did, to great financial penalty. We wanted top to bottom structure, and they went out and got the most revered and coveted people in hockey. We wanted them to show the ability to use their reach and finances to gain advantage outside of the cap, by beefing up their staff, LTIR, etc-- they did this too! We wanted culture change, realizing Phaneuf and Kessel were a part of this--- the returns weren't great, but this goal was ultimately realized and now we're onto a new era. They made smart signings and were able to move them at the deadline, allowing us to effectively tank and acquire assets at the same time without making it obvious-- DONE. Now we have a top 3 farm system, interest from free agents, a boatload of space next year, and few expectations. This team has accomplished everything the fans have wanted them to do for years in a matter of months!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong... the next things fan want is a slight jump forward, maybe to 25th overall, adding a couple NHL-proven players, as they continue to let their larger contracts (most of whom aren't playing) expire, and hope for improvement from their youngsters and steady play from the vets. On what planet is this scenario not a possibility of occurring now, and possibly helped by these signings?

The only thing to do is wait and see, because not everything is done in a vacuum.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
I still don't get this and I can't like it. If this is just about hits and shot suppression numbers why not bring Clune on full time? His shot suppression has always been as good or better than Martin's and you could have him for way less than 2.5.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I still don't get this and I can't like it. If this is just about hits and shot suppression numbers why not bring Clune on full time? His shot suppression has always been as good or better than Martin's and you could have him for way less than 2.5.

No no no no no no and no.

Martin is better in almost every way. 99% ways to die and so be it he is better in almost every other way. Martin hits more, hits the most in the world out of every single player. His presence is superior to almost everybody, too big for the NHL. He can skate, play the cycle game, understands the game better than clune and other fools. Dorks.

Martin is ours and lamoriello knows this. He paid big time and got the best for the best role. Martin will chance our whole team's identity to much better and changes the game too. Clune can't change dirt.

Martin is ours and will be for YEARS TO COME I'm laughing out loud. Manicly.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Matt Martin chose Toronto because of Babcock and the work he did to make several pluggers into better players he said so in press.

Yes he has the intangibles that will make the Leafs tougher to play against with huge hits and scrums that we will no longer get pushed around in, board battles, and the odd fight.

BUT he want to improve his play

This makes him to me a HUGE necessary addition

With Komorov, Martin. Polak the leafs have 3 of the top 10 hitters in the league and this will help for sure take us from being soft
THE BOLDED area here is huge for us and you understand the game. We are now one of the toughest teams in the league. Nobody can push us back. We ain't no killers, but don't push us. Or we might push back like a mother on that ass.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
THE BOLDED area here is huge for us and you understand the game. We are now one of the toughest teams in the league. Nobody can push us back. We ain't no killers, but don't push us. Or we might push back like a mother on that ass.

WTF?????:help:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Because one is a 29 yr old, 5'10" AHL journeyman, and the other is a 27 yr old, 6'3" NHLer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad