Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Martin Marincin (2 years, $1.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
the leafs cap is fine if he's bought out. If not, then they're scrambling.

I'm pretty sure they can go 10% above the cap during the offseason, and then will move Horton and Cowen to LTIR on day one.

Shoudnt be any problems from my reading of the CBA.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Doubtful. Solid player though. Always seemed a safe bet to be a full time NHLer in some capacity.

Yeah if the Oilers are regretting letting go of Martin Marincin then something either went very wrong for Oiler fans, or very good for the Leafs.

I don't mind this signing, but if he's force fed top minutes beside Rielly again it's going to be a long year for Leaf fans. Really hope they bring in a top 4 RHD, so we can put Marinicin in his rightful bottom pairing spot.

Mad Brills*

I'm pretty sure they can go 10% above the cap during the offseason, and then will move Horton and Cowen to LTIR on day one.

Shoudnt be any problems from my reading of the CBA.

cowen won't be LTIR'd , because if he wins his case, he'll be on the roster, buried in the minors, if not he's bought out.

Horton's LTIR causes overage bonuses.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
cowen won't be LTIR'd , because if he wins his case, he'll be on the roster, buried in the minors, if not he's bought out.

Horton's LTIR causes overage bonuses.

Um, Cowen is arguing he is still injured. So if he wins his case he will be considered injured. If not, he will be able to be bought out (2nd window). Its in Cowens best interest to claim he is still injured allowing them to put him on LTIR.

Robidas and Horton will bring the Leafs $8 mil under the cap as it stands today. Generalfanager includes both their hits today, will not get relief until day 1.

Trust me, they are fine either way.

Mad Brills*

Um, Cowen is arguing he is still injured. So if he wins his case he will be considered injured. If not, he will be able to be bought out (2nd window). Its in Cowens best interest to claim he is still injured allowing them to put him on LTIR.

Robidas and Horton will bring the Leafs $8 mil under the cap as it stands today. Generalfanager includes both their hits today, will not get relief until day 1.

Trust me, they are fine either way.

from rjoac on hfboards:

Basically, the issue is that if a team utilizes LTIR, they end the season with 0 cap space. Thus, all performance bonuses count against the next year's cap.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
Yeah if the Oilers are regretting letting go of Martin Marincin then something either went very wrong for Oiler fans, or very good for the Leafs.

I don't mind this signing, but if he's force fed top minutes beside Rielly again it's going to be a long year for Leaf fans. Really hope they bring in a top 4 RHD, so we can put Marinicin in his rightful bottom pairing spot.

Sticking Marincin with a good puck mover had interesting results. He breaks up a lot of plays with his long reach but isn't outstanding at doing something with the possession. If he ever develops a gritty side and starts winning board battles he might actually be a useful top-4 D with the right type of partner.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
from rjoac on hfboards:

I'm not sure what you are getting at.

We'll have atleast $8 mil to utilize next year. Unless we have $8 million in bonuses carrying forward, we'll be fine. According to Generalfanager our overage (bonuses) is slightly under $500k.

Leaves us $7.5 mil in LTIR to utilize with both Robidas and Horton on the LTIR as expected.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Sticking Marincin with a good puck mover had interesting results. He breaks up a lot of plays with his long reach but isn't outstanding at doing something with the possession. If he ever develops a gritty side and starts winning board battles he might actually be a useful top-4 D with the right type of partner.

He basically has to play with a puck mover. Because like you said he isn't very good at moving the puck out, but if he has a guy he can get to do it for him then great. I'm not sure expecting Marincin to develop a gritty side to his game is reasonable, I just don't think he has it in him. But if he did, and he started using his body to separate guys from the puck, and was actually a punishing defender behind the net we definitely would have a decent top four guy, but I'm very doubtful that will happen.

He looked okay beside Rielly in the short sampe size last year, but so did Hunwick for some time and then he fell off pretty quickly. If they think their sticking Marincin beside Rielly the whole year I feel like something similar will happen to him. Put him with Carrick on the bottom pair, and have him play PK minutes and I would think he'd be a lot more useful for the full duration of the season.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
How would Oilers fans compare him to Nikita Nikitin or Anton Belov?

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
This guy was really, really good in the second half of the season. Not so much in the first half. Curious to see which Marincin we see but if it's the second half one he's a terrific player.

Yeah, he was like that with the Oilers too. He seems like the kind of player that kind of settles down as the season goes on. Would be nice to see him in the playoffs. Loved the guy in Edmonton.

victor

Sep 6, 2003

I can't really speak to Nikitin - he's a player that injuries took his game away. He played 53 games for the Oilers over 2 seasons, and didn't have the mobility to play at the NHL level.

Belov was better than his stint in Edmonton, but unfortunately had a rookie coach. "There is no one [specific] reason that made it an abrupt change. It all was building up during the season, especially more so after the Olympics,†Belov told Pavel Lysenkov of Sovetsky Sports. “[SKA hiring coach Vyacheslav Bykov] was also an influence. The other point is that I could have re-signed with Edmonton, but I didn’t want to stay with that coach [Eakins]." Source

Marincin's has a really good stick, and breaks up plays with it. He uses his body position well (albeit not physically.) He has some nice things, and could develop more as he makes his way into the NHL. He was caught in a numbers game in Edmonton, and he's not the player type that Edmonton is now moving towards (heavy, cycle-breaking, puck retrieving defender.) Edmonton had Klefbom, Sekera, Nurse, Davidson, and probably felt that swapping Marincin for a right shooting Gryba would get them closer to where they wanted to go.

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
pointless. Vegas isn't taking him over bozak/komarov.

That's not why you'd resign Polak... You need to expose a defenceman who played 70 games over the past 2 years or 40 games in most recent year. If we resign Polak, he'd fit that criteria.

sOILing McSelf

Aug 18, 2011

Nikitin had a rough go here with injuries and being played too high on the depth chart for his skills. Belov was brought in and used primarily to be a PP point shot.

I always saw Marincin as a Nick Schultz type of player. Good body positioning, good stick play, very little body contact, but not a top 2 defender. It's puzzling to me because it looks like with a little push from the coaches in the right direction, MM (and Schultz for that matter), could have been more than a pigeon-holed positioning defenseman.

As much as I hate the Leafs, I really hope that Babcock can get him to realize his potential.

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Yeah, I was wondering about Marincin's shot. Physically he's the same as them, but either is a better defender or has some offensive upside. Strong slap shot? Anything? Belov had a bomb.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Yeah, I was wondering about Marincin's shot. Physically he's the same as them, but either is a better defender or has some offensive upside. Strong slap shot? Anything? Belov had a bomb.

Not an offensive defenseman - better breaking up plays with his stick.

Doesn't really have a hard shot - 2 nhl goals and 18 points in 150 games.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

We'll have atleast $8 mil to utilize next year. Unless we have $8 million in bonuses carrying forward, we'll be fine. According to Generalfanager our overage (bonuses) is slightly under $500k.

Leaves us $7.5 mil in LTIR to utilize with both Robidas and Horton on the LTIR as expected.

The Leafs presently have $500K available with a back-up goalie to find.

So they will have to use LTIR to be cap compliant.

But LTIR is not a magic wand.

It allows you to replace the LTIRed salaries with new salaries, but it does not create cap space.

Any performance bonuses earned this season will be taken out of their cap next season.

They may pay as much as $3.7M in bonuses this season.

And they already have $2.533M in dead cap space (Kessel + Gleason)...

Thus the squeeze if they can't buy out Cowen.

And they'll have no second buy-out window, as they don't have any player left for arbitration.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto

Leafs have around 1.5 mil in cap space including Horton and Robidas. With a backup goalie and a forward spot (which would be filled internally) left, Assuming none of the vets (other than Horton and Robidas) are on the main roster at the beginning of the season. If any of them are in the minors then the leafs get a little bit more space too.

This cap space does not include performance bonuses which Zaitsev, Nylander, Marner and Matthews have a good chance of earning. The Leafs will get an overage if bonuses are achieved and it puts them above the cap (which includes the cap of players on LTIR), or if they are already above the cap. The Leafs can easily get 1.5+ mil of performance bonuses, so in all likelihood they will be transferred to the 2017-18 as an overage charge.

You can argue that it doesn't really matter though because the leafs should have a lot of cap space next season and no where to spend it (weaker UFA market than this year and no high profile RFAs other than Zaitsev maybe?), so they can absorb it.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Marincin had a great year and he was gonna be the next big thing for the oilers but he had a slump the next year and was banished and then traded. When he's on his game this he is pretty good defensively with his giant wingspan

Belov started great too but started slumping. Should of given him more time tho cuz lots of guys need more than a year to adjust from the khl. Plus he was on an awful oilers team

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The Leafs presently have $500K available with a back-up goalie to find.

So they will have to use LTIR to be cap compliant.

But LTIR is not a magic wand.

It allows you to replace the LTIRed salaries with new salaries, but it does not create cap space.

Any performance bonuses earned this season will be taken out of their cap next season.

They may pay as much as $3.7M in bonuses this season.

And they already have $2.533M in dead cap space (Kessel + Gleason)...

Thus the squeeze if they can't buy out Cowen.

And they'll have no second buy-out window, as they don't have any player left for arbitration.

The Leafs have the second buy-out.

All you need is a player to file for arbitration, you don't actually need to go to the arbitration.

Considering we don't know how the Cowen thing will pan out, and our depth at the wings, it would be best to buy out Michalek tbh

Mad Brills*

The Leafs have the second buy-out.

All you need is a player to file for arbitration, you don't actually need to go to the arbitration.

Considering we don't know how the Cowen thing will pan out, and our depth at the wings, it would be best to buy out Michalek tbh

Yup. The have to get rid of someone out if cowen wins his case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad