Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
This Leafs organization never learns; Hired a rookie GM in JFJ and he completely screwed it up and its happening again

Reactions: Faltorvo

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
It really should.

The culture of taking every penny possible from Dubas is not a good thing.
You realize after taxes Marner takes home the same amount as Rantanen? Even with the discrepancy in actual AAV. But that’s the league’s and certain teams’ problem.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Leafs hands were tied. I’m an Avs fan and even I understand that Dubas did what he had to do.

It is what it is. Giving into Nylander changed the future makeup. If he didn’t sign Matthews/Marner he’d be in a much worse position than he is now.

Still probably gonna win the cup.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Deals arent amazing but i'm not complaining. I'm sure management will have a plan, since its their jobs and all. My job as a fan is to watch these amazing players for the next 6 years. Gonna be a fun ride
what marketing firm do you work for????

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You realize after taxes Marner takes home the same amount as Rantanen? Even with the discrepancy in actual AAV. But that’s the league’s and certain teams’ problem.
The Leafs have advantages in terms of endorsement deals. You can’t just look at taxes in isolation. And they should have advantages over some other low tax teams (not Colorado or Tampa but others) in that they have a very good team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

So Sakic managed to use taxes to his advantage, but Dubas failed to use marketing opportunities to his advantage? Is that what you're saying? Because either Toronto is the hockey mecca or it's not.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We have no idea how much the offer sheets were for. We know how much the Leafs offered though, which is > 1.5m more than a player who, at worst, is his equal.
But it was hard to play hardball with Marner, after making Matthews the 2nd highest paid player....and then have Marner outproduce him in real points AND PPG. It just snowballed.

But yeah, these 2...Marner and Rants are the 2 closest comparables out there and the AVS did well in comparison.

Reactions: DFC

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But it was hard to play hardball with Marner, after making Matthews the 2nd highest paid player....and then have Marner outproduce him in real points AND PPG. It just snowballed.

But yeah, these 2...Marner and Rants are the 2 closest comparables out there and the AVS did well in comparison.

I totally agree. I think the big mistake was not getting Matthews to understand that RFA contracts aren't the same as UFA contracts, and therefore he should have come in below Tavares. Failing to do that created this "new market" we kept hearing about, but that turned out to only exist in Toronto.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Can't wait :naughty:

Boy did you ever pick a bad time to switch from Leafs to Bruins to back to Leafs :( :(
aww i am honoured that you even cared to remember me :dainty:

to think you still remember a post i made dang near 8 years ago

i must hold a special spot

living rent free baby

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So Sakic managed to use taxes to his advantage, but Dubas failed to use marketing opportunities to his advantage? Is that what you're saying? Because either Toronto is the hockey mecca or it's not.

Or maybe getting dramatically more in Gauranteed take home money is not in any way equivalent to having to do extra work and not having gauranteed contracts? Maybe just maybe that’s it?

I fully believe dubas overpaid by a million. Easy. But you have embarrassed yourself so often with this line of reasoning that it’s unfortunate

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I totally agree. I think the big mistake was not getting Matthews to understand that RFA contracts aren't the same as UFA contracts, and therefore he should have come in below Tavares. Failing to do that created this "new market" we kept hearing about, but that turned out to only exist in Toronto.

I think Matthews understood perfectly well the OS situation for him. Because, Marner didn't have the same OS potential and because he isn't close to Matthews, the team should have turned the screws on him. Matthews is a much better player and worth about 3M more per year than Marner is.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I think Matthews understood perfectly well the OS situation for him. Because, Marner didn't have the same OS potential and because he isn't close to Matthews, the team should have turned the screws on him. Marner's contract is the extreme overpayment.
Extreme overpayment lol

I can't wait for the season to start and the Leafs putting these middling teams out of their misery early

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad