Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Matthews understood perfectly well the OS situation for him. Because, Marner didn't have the same OS potential and because he isn't close to Matthews, the team should have turned the screws on him. Marner's contract is the extreme overpayment.

I don't know. There's a problem in the culture--it's either Matthews/Marner, or it's Dubas. But for some reason, these guys are getting more, yes, more, than market value. If Matthews was going to hold his team over a barrel for every last cent... That's an issue.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I totally agree. I think the big mistake was not getting Matthews to understand that RFA contracts aren't the same as UFA contracts, and therefore he should have come in below Tavares. Failing to do that created this "new market" we kept hearing about, but that turned out to only exist in Toronto.
Or...like I said in another post, that the top money...comes with 7/8 year deals.

Leafs have 3 of the top 7 highest contracts, 4 of the top 20 in cap%, and the only 2 contracts out of the top 15, that are not 7 year deals or longer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But it was hard to play hardball with Marner, after making Matthews the 2nd highest paid player....and then have Marner outproduce him in real points AND PPG. It just snowballed.

But yeah, these 2...Marner and Rants are the 2 closest comparables out there and the AVS did well in comparison.
Tripod my friend we saw this coming when the other RFA's started to sign, The Rantenen deal clinches it. Not only do the Avs get the better player but at almost 3M less on the AAV. This is evidence why no one should trust Dubas in contract discussions.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't know. There's a problem in the culture--it's either Matthews/Marner, or it's Dubas. But for some reason, these guys are getting more, yes, more, than market value. If Matthews was going to hold his team over a barrel for every last cent... That's an issue.

Who says Matthews would hold his team over a barrel for every last cent? It is simply the case that Matthews would have received a massive OS, and he would have within his rights to sign it if he chose to. There is no real reason for Matthews to have extreme loyalty to the Leafs.

Marner, however, actually did hold his team over a barrel for every last cent.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Good to see other GMs and agents are just treating the Marner overpayment contract as an outlier and ignoring it when negotiating with their star players. Good job by Sakic to lock up a better player at $1.6 million cheaper per year.
Colorado is looking like a long term threat.

Reactions: Neutral Hockey Fan

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tripod my friend we saw this coming when the other RFA's started to sign, The Rantenen deal clinches it. Not only do the Avs get the better player but at almost 3M less on the AAV. This is evidence why no one should trust Dubas in contract discussions.
While I agree the market didn't change, the 3M AAV is a typo. ;)

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Extreme overpayment lol

I can't wait for the season to start and the Leafs putting these middling teams out of their misery early

It will be fun right up until the next Game 7 loss to Boston. Maybe it'll be at home this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->