Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Almost every other rfa deal this year has been a bridge. Leafs have their guys locked up. No complaints

...He locked them up for more money than most of those guys are likely to get after their bridge is up.

Rantanen is rumored to be coming in under 10.

I'm not sure how you spin this as a win.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
you hear and read how Tbay "has a culture" and Boston "has a culture"

thats starts from with in and is born by management and the players

our new rookie GM set our culture by bending and overpaying(weak GM) Nylander and by Nylander that greed is good.

IMO our "culture" should have been set by letting him watch last season from over seas (and this is NOT 20/20 hindsight) i have had this stance the entire time.

I think CupsOverCash hit the root of the point. People talk about tax advantages in TB--well, the GM has to sell that tax advantage to the players in order to keep their AAV down. And it's on Dubas to sell the advantages of playing in a big market to the Leafs in order to keep their AAV down. Instead, he had two, maybe three, players go for the jugular. They wanted the aav AND the big market advantages. And he gave it up to them.

Reactions: Faltorvo

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
...He locked them up for more money than most of those guys are likely to get after their bridge is up.

I guess paying top dollar to buy 4 total UFA years between Marner, Matthews, and Nylander is better than paying less and still having control of the player at the end of the contract.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I guess paying top dollar to buy 4 total UFA years between Marner, Matthews, and Nylander is better than paying less and still having control of the player at the end of the contract.
YUP!!!! kinda staggering when you think they only bought 4 effn UFA years.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

We have no idea what they will make after their bridge deals.

"rumored"

Huge win to have an elite young forward core locked up through their prime years

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013

"rumored"

Huge win to have an elite young forward core locked up through their prime years

You do realize they will need to be resigned when they are 27-28 right?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

"rumored"

...At any cost? Like, at what point do you consider them overpaid? Not even overpaid but, at what point do you say, "Gee, I think this is a great player, but I really wish Dubas had been able to keep the AAV down."

Because it seems like there is no point where that becomes true for Leaf fans. There's a reason why fans of other teams are cringing at these deals, and it's not just "blind Leaf hate."

And we do have a pretty good idea what they'll make after their bridge deal. In TB, Brayden Point, if he remains a star player, will get 11% of the cap--whatever that is at the time. It's the same thing all his predecessors took. That's not a bad predictor when we've seen it four times in a row, and when the player in question took a great deal this time around.

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
...At any cost? Like, at what point do you consider them overpaid? Not even overpaid but, at what point do you say, "Gee, I think this is a great player, but I really wish Dubas had been able to keep the AAV down."

Because it seems like there is no point where that becomes true for Leaf fans. There's a reason why fans of other teams are cringing at these deals, and it's not just "blind Leaf hate."

And we do have a pretty good idea what they'll make after their bridge deal. In TB, Brayden Point, if he remains a star player, will get 11% of the cap--whatever that is at the time. It's the same thing all his predecessors took. That's not a bad predictor when we've seen it four times in a row, and when the player in question took a great deal this time around.
Deals arent amazing but i'm not complaining. I'm sure management will have a plan, since its their jobs and all. My job as a fan is to watch these amazing players for the next 6 years. Gonna be a fun ride

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Everyone takes less in Tampa. My real interest is what Rantenen gets. The Matthews and Marner contracts sure seem like a new way to build a team. Rantenen's contract will be an indication if that is the direction the league is going.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Deals arent amazing but i'm not complaining. I'm sure management will have a plan, since its their jobs and all. My job as a fan is to watch these amazing players for the next 6 years. Gonna be a fun ride

Oh. Okay then.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
That's a lot of faith for a fan of a team who had a 10 year stretch of JFJ, Burke, and Nonnis.

I joke, obviously things got better with Shanny and Lou. But I might still be a little twitchy from that decade.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Everyone takes less in Tampa. My real interest is what Rantenen gets. The Matthews and Marner contracts sure seem like a new way to build a team. Rantenen's contract will be an indication if that is the direction the league is going.

Yeah, and I think that's key. That this is new. Which is why I don't agree with forecasting absolute doom either. I just think it's important to acknowledge that this is only happening in Toronto, and there are risks involved. More risks than with other contracts. You really, really need the cap to go up in order to fill out the D. That said, this coming year should be a good one. But after that, I don't see how you move forward without a pretty big trade, and a trade you might not win, given that you'll be forced to make it. (Depends on how many potential trade partners you have, mind you.)

CatchyTune

Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
That's a lot of faith for a fan of a team who had a 10 year stretch of JFJ, Burke, and Nonnis.

I joke, obviously things got better with Shanny and Lou. But I might still be a little twitchy from that decade.
Only thing i'll be twitchy from is how exciting this team will be to watch for the next 6+ years. No worries on my part

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

If it's not your team, why would you cringe?

Reality is non Leaf fans are overjoyed with it. It's why they were posting non-stop all summer, praying for it. All the while never saying a peep about the rest.

They spend more time hoping for Leaf failure than rooting for their own team.

Us? We'll just keep on keeping on.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yeah, and I think that's key. That this is new. Which is why I don't agree with forecasting absolute doom either. I just think it's important to acknowledge that this is only happening in Toronto, and there are risks involved. More risks than with other contracts. You really, really need the cap to go up in order to fill out the D. That said, this coming year should be a good one. But after that, I don't see how you move forward without a pretty big trade, and a trade you might not win, given that you'll be forced to make it. (Depends on how many potential trade partners you have, mind you.)

They'll have Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren under contract, then figure out the rest. Aside from big contracts to stars, Dubas has shown to be a very deft stickhandler so far. Just keep paying the depth appropriately and keep churning it out.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

He also led his team in scoring. The only other RFA to do that was Aho, which Marner scored 11 more points than.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He's also not as good as Marner, or locked up long-term. :)

Well, he's definitely as good, especially when you consider he's a shutdown center.

As for being locked up long-term, you're right, but for all practical purposes he is. You don't wave off offer sheets if you're intention is to leave in three years.

Seras

Dubas supporter
Sep 1, 2015
New Westminster, BC. Canada

We have all our star players signed, likely overpaid some of them. If anyone should be overpaid it should be the star players so it might not be optimal but it's close

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well, he's definitely as good, especially when you consider he's a shutdown center.

As for being locked up long-term, you're right, but for all practical purposes he is. You don't wave off offer sheets if you're intention is to leave in three years.

His intention could be to stay today, doesn't mean it would be to stay in 3 years. That's the certainty of going longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->