Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
You could look at Pittsburgh when Crosby won his first cup. They had Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang and Fleury locked up to quite a bit of cap and they made it work.

It’s not like Toronto is in cap hell with older vets locked in for a few years. The whole team is young and in their prime. If they have to move guys out to make it work, they will.

As much as people don’t want to admit it, if they had to move Nylander, Kapanen or Johnsson they have value. It’s what Chicago has to do and they still won another cup.

The difference is the league was weaker overall then and you didn’t have two other juggernauts in the division with Pittsburgh. The fact Toronto has to go through Boston or Tampa or both is just brutal. IMO there are just too many teams who are that good in goal and defense right now that Toronto will need some help if they’re gonna go all the way. St. Louis obviously got it last year as did Boston with Tampa and some other higher seeds getting booted

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
There are 25 players with a cap hit of 8.5 or more. Only 2 of them are not on max term contracts. Do you still think these are great deals
I think they're not bad. They were both odds on for signing offersheets with other teams according to "insiders" and internet forums.

I'm shocked they're still here. It's just gravy at this point.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
10.55 million in LTIR space with a cap overage of 13.365,199 when Dermott and Hyman get back.

Everyone on D needs to be resigned, save Rielly.

I guess they're all in this year?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What are you talking about 10-12 players? Its just d men coming off the books next year and some bottom end forwards who will be replaced or signed to a similar contract below a million. Obviously that cap friendly number of 15 million is accounting for those forwards coming off the books...So its actually more like 13 million space to resign the D men but then you have to realize that our roster will be smaller than what it currently is on cap friendly so its actually even more space. Also who knows what the cap will go up to next year like you said. We will have near 20 million to sign the d men...We have more than enough wiggle room next year and with Liljegren and Sandin coming that gives us even more space to wiggle.

We could definitely afford to sign Barrie at 8, resign Dermott at 4, and re sign Ceci/Muzzin around 4-5.

That will give us a solid top 4 and we will have Sandin-Liljegren while not having to remove any forwards. (Unless Bracco/Mikheyev has a big season and command a raise)

Huh??? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

For the 2020-21 season the Leafs have 11 fwds under contract for a total of $55,126,866 and 1 d-man under contract for $5,000,000 and 1 goalie under contract for $5,000,000 and they are also paying Kessel $1,200,000 to play in Arizona.
That's a total of 13 players playing for the leafs at a cost of $66,326,866 (Kessel, who will be playing for someone else, has his cost included). Lets just round it off to $66.3M to make things easy math wise.

Lets say the cap goes up to $84M.

$84M (2020 cap limit) - $66.3M (being paid to the 13 Leaf players currently under contract for next season) = $17.7M left to pay the other 10 players you need to sign to get to a full roster of 23 players.

If you are going to sign Barrie at $8M, Dermott at $4M, and either Ceci or Muzzin at $4M, total cost for those 3 players would be $16M, which gives you 16 signed players on the Leaf roster.

How the hell are you going to sign the other 4 (20 player roster) to 7 (23 player roster) players needed to fill out the roster for $1.7M?????

Last edited:

MMMOOOWWW

Dec 1, 2017
BC
Sure they're contenders for the foreseeable future, but 3 years from now they might have to make a hard decision, ever thought about that
Did you say 3 years? Do you live your life 3 years from now? Go back to your Moms basement!

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
what offer sheets? link?
Oh just two years of seeing people say Arizona will fling an offersheet, that Islanders bloke saying an offersheet was coming for Marner, the GM beeting his house an offersheet was coming (think Freidman or Mackenzie tweeted it).

A good 12 months of offersheet talk. You honestly couldn't miss it.

Reactions: 7even

The90

Feb 27, 2017
10.55 million in LTIR space with a cap overage of 13.365,199 when Dermott and Hyman get back.

Everyone on D needs to be resigned, save Rielly.

I guess they're all in this year?
I guess they don’t have expiring contracts? One or 2 of Ceci, Muzzin, Barrie will be signed. Dermott on a bridge deal is likely that’s 4 d there and 3 very good ones, with the other showing top 4 potential.

There will be shuffling, but you’d rather search for the small pieces than the big ones you would think. Unless of course you just don’t like the leafs and want to discount the ‘we can and we now have’ idea.

The fact of the matter is, if any other team in the league had the opportunity to sign JT for 11 million, and lose 0 assets, it’s automatically done.

The 3 kids are all a bit overpaid sure, and the majority of the leafs money is obviously on their forward lines, but they have the assets in place to shuffle the deck if the top loaded offence doesn’t work out.

It’s made out as if the leafs have 0 depth and it simply is not true. Their third line will have 2 40 point forwards and likely mikheyev who is yet to be seen, but all reports are that he will be a steady contributor (not a superstar).

Moore was great in limited action last year, spezza can fill in on the top lines for injury’s, is great on face offs.

The back end has 2 #1 d men in Reilly and Barrie. Muzzin is a great #3. Ceci probably more of a 5/6 guy. Dermott is probably in the same boat, add a young guy as your #6 d and you’re set.

The majority of the ‘problems’ or ‘lack of depth’ issues are made up. They have depth all over. It will put a premium on drafting and developing players 3-5 years from now. As it stands they’re in good shape. Albeit tight against the cap

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I mean the way the Leafs defense is currently structured with so many soon to be UFA's and RFA's they need more than some to pan out . Could it happen ? Sure but for the Leafs to field a competetive defense going forward they need an above-average number of prospects on defense to pan out . Thats really risky . I personally wouldn't be a fan if my team played it like that but if you like it sure whatever .
We like it. Thanks.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think Dubas has been particularly good in his negotiations with his RFA's. Including Marner. But I do give him credit for this statement. Not often a GM openly admits they screwed up. i do respect his honesty here.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I guess they don’t have expiring contracts? One or 2 of Ceci, Muzzin, Barrie will be signed. Dermott on a bridge deal is likely that’s 4 d there and 3 very good ones, with the other showing top 4 potential.

There will be shuffling, but you’d rather search for the small pieces than the big ones you would think. Unless of course you just don’t like the leafs and want to discount the ‘we can and we now have’ idea.

The fact of the matter is, if any other team in the league had the opportunity to sign JT for 11 million, and lose 0 assets, it’s automatically done.

The 3 kids are all a bit overpaid sure, and the majority of the leafs money is obviously on their forward lines, but they have the assets in place to shuffle the deck if the top loaded offence doesn’t work out.

It’s made out as if the leafs have 0 depth and it simply is not true. Their third line will have 2 40 point forwards and likely mikheyev who is yet to be seen, but all reports are that he will be a steady contributor (not a superstar).

Moore was great in limited action last year, spezza can fill in on the top lines for injury’s, is great on face offs.

The back end has 2 #1 d men in Reilly and Barrie. Muzzin is a great #3. Ceci probably more of a 5/6 guy. Dermott is probably in the same boat, add a young guy as your #6 d and you’re set.

The majority of the ‘problems’ or ‘lack of depth’ issues are made up. They have depth all over. It will put a premium on drafting and developing players 3-5 years from now. As it stands they’re in good shape. Albeit tight against the cap
Ceci showing top 4 potential?:laugh:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Seriously, people are glossing over the fact he's slotted in Leaf's top pair. He is a special type of bad that makes you throw things.
I'm thinking that might change come playoff time.

The Blues just won with Gunnarsson and Bouwmeester taking up 2 spots on their dcore. Both players were questioned how they were still in the NHL at points before the run from Christmas onwards.

Reactions: Metroid

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Seriously, people are glossing over the fact he's slotted in Leaf's top pair. He is a special type of bad that makes you throw things.
That’s a misquote of the ding dong who wrote that. It literally says Ceci is a 5 or 6 d.

Of all that I typed out, that’s the single thing that he could pick apart and it wasn’t even a correct statement. It was regarding Dermott.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Dermott. It literally says Ceci is 5/6. Use your eyes next time champ.

Swing and a miss
Re-read the phrase :

Muzzin,Barrie and Dermot are the 3 very good ones with the other ,Ceci, showing top 4 potential

Reactions: DueDiligence

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We'll be ok, worst case is trade one of the top 9 2-3M players for a dman.

Mikheyev2.2Matthews11.634Nylander6.963
Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner10.893
Johnsson3.4Kerfoot3.4Kapanen3.2
Agostino0.7Gauthier0.7Korshkov0.925
Moore0.775
Rielly5Barrie7.5
Dermott3Hometown UFA1.1
Sandin0.894Liljegren0.863
Harpur0.8Schmaltz0.8
Andersen5
Woll0.8
Kessel1.2
Salary84.997
Cap space0.003
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Re-read the phrase :

Muzzin,Barrie and Dermot are the 3 very good ones with the other ,Ceci, showing top 4 potential
I was referring to Muzzin Barrie and Reilly being signed and Dermott filling in on the top 4. Go down and highlight where it literally outright says ceci is a 5 or 6 d man for me. I will give that I didn’t proof read that post for clarity but good god. Talk about nit picking when it clearly states he’s a 5 or 6 d

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
$84M (2020 cap limit) - $66.3M (being paid to the 13 Leaf players currently under contract for next season) = $17.7M left to pay the other 10 players you need to sign to get to a full roster of 23 players.

If you are going to sign Barrie at $8M, Dermott at $4M, and either Ceci or Muzzin at $4M, total cost for those 3 players would be $16M, which gives you 16 signed players on the Leaf roster.

How the hell are you going to sign the other 4 (20 player roster) to 7 (23 player roster) players needed to fill out the roster for $1.7M?????

Dermott is not going to be making anything close to 4M. So far he has 1.5 years as an ultra-sheltered 3rd pairing D. He will be starting the season on LTIR and he is unlikely to be breaking the top-4 this year except to cover for injuries. Sign him for a year or two at 1.5M to give him a chance to show if he can play top 4.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think Dubas has been particularly good in his negotiations with his RFA's. Including Marner. But I do give him credit for this statement. Not often a GM openly admits they screwed up. i do respect his honesty here.

Nice, will we ever hear it from you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad