Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Marner re-signs (6 years, $10.893M AAV) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
...Is this a serious post? Anyone who knows 2 ****s about hockey would disagree. I really hope this is a sarcastic post or so help me God this board will be the end of me
Really? 1st round exit this year with 1 defense man signed. What do you think is going to happen?

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Really? 1st round exit this year with 1 defense man signed. What do you think is going to happen?
Looking at your post history i dont know if its worth my time to try to get through your thick skull. Come at me with a logical post rather than just "harhar 1st rnd exit 1 dmahn blehbleh" looks like all your comments go that way to be honest. Leafs are fine buddy but thanks for gatekeeping our cap situation.

IronHalen

Feb 7, 2013
I don't think much of Leafs management. They fall backwards into a first overall pick, hope their other guys over perform and that seems to have been their plan in hindsight. Dubas might as well let his players write their own cheque.
Just wait until its time for Pettersson to sign a new deal.

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Leafs are fine now and in the future cap-wise.

Leave it to a Leafs thread to remind me that 95% of people on here are either trolls, compulsively obsessed with the Leafs (but in denial about it), or have the IQ of a burnt potato.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Looking at your post history i dont know if its worth my time to try to get through your thick skull. Come at me with a logical post rather than just "harhar 1st rnd exit 1 dmahn blehbleh" looks like all your comments go that way to be honest. Leafs are fine buddy but thanks for gatekeeping our cap situation.
Enjoy your cup window

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Just wait until its time for Pettersson to sign a new deal.

That's why I'm hoping Benning and company don't sign Boeser to an 11 million dollar contract to set precident. Even a 7 million dollar one isn't a great deal if Boeser is the Nylander of this comparison.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Not everyone. But I dont see a lot of pointless jab posts like that. Maybe try and support your insults so it gets past the logical thinkers

An opinion that the Leafs have suspect defense is illogical? Pray tell.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Huh??? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

For the 2020-21 season the Leafs have 11 fwds under contract for a total of $55,126,866 and 1 d-man under contract for $5,000,000 and 1 goalie under contract for $5,000,000 and they are also paying Kessel $1,200,000 to play in Arizona.
That's a total of 13 players playing for the leafs at a cost of $66,326,866 (Kessel, who will be playing for someone else, has his cost included). Lets just round it off to $66.3M to make things easy math wise.

Lets say the cap goes up to $84M.

$84M (2020 cap limit) - $66.3M (being paid to the 13 Leaf players currently under contract for next season) = $17.7M left to pay the other 10 players you need to sign to get to a full roster of 23 players.

If you are going to sign Barrie at $8M, Dermott at $4M, and either Ceci or Muzzin at $4M, total cost for those 3 players would be $16M, which gives you 16 signed players on the Leaf roster.

How the hell are you going to sign the other 4 (20 player roster) to 7 (23 player roster) players needed to fill out the roster for $1.7M?????

You dont need to have a full roster of 23. You can have a roster of 20 if needed which babcock has already said they probably will at some point. Your calculations are wrong saying we have 11 forwards for 55 mil. We are paying 55 million right now for all 13 forwards on our roster so how does it stay the same for 11?

But yes if the Cap is 84 Million and we sign Dermott(4), Ceci(4), Barrie (8) and we run a 20 man roster we will be about 1.5 million over the cap. IF the cap goes up more then that which its expected it very well might than we could afford to keep Ceci and Barrie...Doubt we could sign Muzz at 4. Its possible Ceci/Dermott could actually make less than 4 mil AAV too so that could help.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Leafs are fine now and in the future cap-wise.

Leave it to a Leafs thread to remind me that 95% of people on here are either trolls, compulsively obsessed with the Leafs (but in denial about it), or have the IQ you of a burnt potato.
It's pretty poor form to make an IQ jab with grammatical errors. Mind you, I'm not a Leaf hater in the least.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But then how does them coming off the books help their cap space for the future? The first person I responded to made it seem like when their contacts expire they will gain more cap space for the future. But I don't get how that can happen, unless they place other players on the ltir to make space or trade players.

The only thing I can think of is when they come off the books, capspace accrual is possible, opening up options to get a higher cap limit throughout the season by executing tricks to operate under the cap. This accrued capspace will provide a team the ability to make a deadline acquisition.

One example of a trick is to send waiver-ineligible players down to the minors when not on game days (reducing to a 20 man roster), and then bringing them up only on days the team plays games. Just a paper transaction but each day of the season you operate below the daily limit, you accrue a bit of space that increases your overall daily limit. As the season approaches the trade deadline that space adds up, and also the cost of a player on the cap is less than their AAV seems because they are only on your roster a partial season.

Leafs did this trick with Moore last season, and other teams do it regularly when in a tight cap.

But these things aren’t options if you’re in LTIR. It’s likely Leafs will not be able to make a TDL acquisition given they don’t really have any dead cap weight on the roster and they’ll be tight against their relief pool limit all season.

Reactions: Here I Pageau Again

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sure. Tons of third pairing D getting paid 3M per.

Do you think that's all he'll play as this year? Most Leaf fans seem to pencil him in as a guaranteed top four defender, sooner or later. Even if he improves moderately on his play last year, you're looking at closer to a $2.5 million D-man.

Some comparables:
Troy Stetcher 2.325 x 2 yrs.
Markus Nutivaara - 2.7 x 4 yrs.
Ryan Pulock 2.0 x 2 yrs.

Last edited:
Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
“Your case” would be expanding on your intimation as to my being wrong when I say the leafs don’t have a good defense. That’s not you defending a statement. In fact you’ve been way too big of a wuss to even offer a definitive opinion.

Respond all you like. You may want to mix it up by trying to say something interesting or smart, your call.
You called out the leafs' D for being subpar, my "case" would be defending as to why that is not the case. Its as simple as that. Dance around it with this fancy talk all you like. I wont go out of my way to explain their d situation until you actually call out specifics rather than an elementary remark.

Reactions: bigbabybuda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad