Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Peter Holland (1 year, $1.3M)

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Yeah I knew he wouldn't get a two-way deal. Just because he cleared waivers doesn't mean he deserves a two-way. I imagine most teams passed on him because he was in arbitration.

Would still prefer to move him though.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If Babcock was absolutely not a fan, I doubt he would have been re-signed.

This is Mr. Holland's season, to prove what he is worth, and take advantage of his opportunity.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Crap player

He's not crap. He's mediocre with some upside. If I were him I'd consider going to Europe though. Players like Holland are pretty common in the NHL. He's not terrible and far from a liability but he's more or less average in every way.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
He's not crap. He's mediocre with some upside. If I were him I'd consider going to Europe though. Players like Holland are pretty common in the NHL. He's not terrible and far from a liability but he's more or less average in every way.

Why would he go to Europe? Doubt they'd offer him this much.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Why would he go to Europe? Doubt they'd offer him this much.

I am an NHL player. I love the game and have wanted to play it professionally forever. I make the NHL, after a few years it's clear I don't stick and I can't get an NHL deal. I'm also assuming I wasn't smart and don't have millions of investments with a paid off house. Do I..

A) Retire and go flip burgers
or
B) Go over seas, make more than even the highest paid professions do on average per year and experience a different culture while still playing hockey?

Hell, I'd be a career AHLer if I could. 150k/year is amazing money to be playing hockey. If I was any good I might even make 500K. That's enough to have a nice home, retirement savings from my 30's, and several investments that will make my retirement savings stretch further.

These guys have it made.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I am an NHL player. I love the game and have wanted to play it professionally forever. I make the NHL, after a few years it's clear I don't stick and I can't get an NHL deal. I'm also assuming I wasn't smart and don't have millions of investments with a paid off house. Do I..

A) Retire and go flip burgers
or
B) Go over seas, make more than even the highest paid professions do on average per year and experience a different culture while still playing hockey?

Hell, I'd be a career AHLer if I could. 150k/year is amazing money to be playing hockey. If I was any good I might even make 500K. That's enough to have a nice home, retirement savings from my 30's, and several investments that will make my retirement savings stretch further.

These guys have it made.

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
not really. He was given every opportunity under Carlyle in a top 6 role and as a 3rd line center. He's the definition of mediocrity.

He was given an opportunity until Bozak came back.

And that "3rd line center role" was done between Clarkson and Komarov lol

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Don't really know hbow to feel about this. There's no good or bad feeling here, I'm not even sure if there's any feeling at all. Total meh contract. Not concerned about it but would prefer him to be deoth and not on the roster. If he gets a spot instead of Brown or Leivo I'll be kind of sad.

If it's for 1 year, how does that expose him?

Oh woops he needs to have a contract in the 2017-2018, brain fart.

He'll still be exposed in the expansion draft, and can be drafted, he just won't fit the experience requirements unless he has a contract.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I have hope Holland can be 15g/25a 3rd line C yet. Hopefully this will wake him up, as it's been said before in this thread he does have the toolbox to be more than a waiver-clearer.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Nah, he just sucks.

He does not suck, he's just not entirely NHL calibre... yet. He is a 25 year old 6'2'' center who WANTS to play better and showed last year that he does have a drive to be better. I believe he has even accepted his role as a bottom six player and will continue to improve his defensive skills. For all we know, the fact that he is focusing on defense, could very well allow his offensive skills to blossom. The kid has a great shot and is not a terrible playmaker. I still have hope for him in a 3-4 C role.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He does not suck, he's just not entirely NHL calibre... yet. He is a 25 year old 6'2'' center who WANTS to play better and showed last year that he does have a drive to be better. I believe he has even accepted his role as a bottom six player and will continue to improve his defensive skills. For all we know, the fact that he is focusing on defense, could very well allow his offensive skills to blossom. The kid has a great shot and is not a terrible playmaker. I still have hope for him in a 3-4 C role.

If he's 25 and not entirely NHL caliber yet, then he definitely does suck.

The Thin White Duke

Aug 11, 2009
We don't really need him at all. Even if a C or two gets injured, is there really going to be a noticeable change from Holland playing 12 minutes to Gauthier/Froese playing 10 and the other 3 centers picking up the rest of the slack? Useful for the expansion draft I guess.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
If he's 25 and not entirely NHL caliber yet, then he definitely does suck.

Oh really? If GMs had that attitude, there would be a lot of Elite players that would never have reached that status.

Perhaps my words were poorly chosen. What I meant to imply was that he has not necessarily reached the projection that people put on him when he was a prospect. He was supposed to be an NHL top 6 C, but clearly he is not yet. But, as I said, he still has the potential to be an NHL calibre bottom six C, or even a winger if required.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
we need holland signed to a 2 year deal so we can expose him as one of our two forwards in the expansion draft.

2 years, 1.2 per

A 2-year deal is not necessary.

A 1-year deal would bring him to RFA status.

All they would need to do is to give him a qualifying offer to expose him as a forward meeting the requirements.

PS: Hopefully I remember the expansion draft rules correctly...

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Holland reminds me a lot of matt cullen / mathieu peraullt. Not quite a 2nd line center, but ill fit for a 3rd line checking center.

Nevers seems to put it together early in their carears, but as soon as you move you him you probably regret it.

I think he is just a late bloomer. I think this is the right amount/smart signing.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Holland reminds me of Johnny Malkin, he'll surprise you occasionally with great hands or vision... but he just doesn't put it together every night. He's pretty good on the PP though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad