Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Nick Ritchie (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
How is there 15 pages on a thread for Nick Ritchie? :laugh:
It is surprising that a Bruins' fan asks this, because the Boston forum has three entire threads on Ritchie!
Since most Bruins fans are dumping all over Ritchie as a Leaf, I thought it would be interesting to see what they thought of him when he was a Bruin. To be fair, you yourself have been consistent in your criticism, but many of your colleagues have not. This spring during the playoffs there was quite a bit of speculation on what Ritchie's next contract would be. One poster nailed it at 2.5 X 2, but was quickly shot down for making an "insulting" offer. The majority expected to see 3.5 X 2. And as pointed out earlier in this thread, Ritchie won the "7th man" award which appears to be considered quite an honour by your forum.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
I think Ritchie is a good fit there. I liked brother in Calgary. Just shouldn't be playing top 6. He has enough skill to play 3rd line and brings some size. Liked this one and Kase for the Leafs. Awfully risky goaltending tandem though.

The Leafs really shouldn't have signed Tavares. Makes it almost inevitable that there will be roster holes elsewhere.
Tavares hasn't cost the leafs anyone of importance. Marleau and Zaitsev contracts did...and Marner should be paid about 1.5 million less. If we kept our 13th pick (lost in Marleau trade), and C.Brown (lost in Zaitsev trade)... we would be in a fine position right now. The other problem is Dubas also tried to build an 80s Oilers team and neutered the leafs of any toughness they had.
someone gotta put dubas on skates and run him over just so he can get a feel for playoff hockey. 4?rounds of constant battering by teams like the islanders and lighting isnt for 23 finesse players

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
It is surprising that a Bruins' fan asks this, because the Boston forum has three entire threads on Ritchie!
Since most Bruins fans are dumping all over Ritchie as a Leaf, I thought it would be interesting to see what they thought of him when he was a Bruin. To be fair, you yourself have been consistent in your criticism, but many of your colleagues have not. This spring during the playoffs there was quite a bit of speculation on what Ritchie's next contract would be. One poster nailed it at 2.5 X 2, but was quickly shot down for making an "insulting" offer. The majority expected to see 3.5 X 2. And as pointed out earlier in this thread, Ritchie won the "7th man" award which appears to be considered quite an honour by your forum.
I've been inconsistent with my criticism towards Ritchie as well but that's because Ritchie himself has displayed inconsistency throughout his entire time in Boston. I was one of the many Bruins fans pleased with his performance in the regular season but once the playoffs started he was no longer able to keep up with the pace of the play. Cassidy also notice how ineffective he was that he took Ritchie off the top PP unit and he's had Ritchie on that unit for pretty much the entire season. Overall I think I somewhat liked Ritchie but I was glad that he didn't receive his QO from Sweeney because he had arbitration rights and the thought of having to pay him more than $2.5M left a bitter taste in my mouth.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Tavares hasn't cost the leafs anyone of importance. Marleau and Zaitsev contracts did...and Marner should be paid about 1.5 million less. If we kept our 13th pick (lost in Marleau trade), and C.Brown (lost in Zaitsev trade)... we would be in a fine position right now. The other problem is Dubas also tried to build an 80s Oilers team and neutered the leafs of any toughness they had.

The 80's Oilers teams were tough as hell. Semenko, Hunter, McSorely, McCelland. There were ZERO similarities between the 80's Oilers and Dubas' Leafs.

Last edited:

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Or just do not take into consideration the Ducks and Bruins fans who have watched him at the pro level. Just assume he is a goal scorer who has size and will hit everything in site. Good luck with that, Duck fans warned Bruins fans. There are reason's you trade a young high pick. As a Bruins fan good luck to him. Maybe he finally gets it and gets in shape. On the same hand I am so glad he is gone. I would take Nordstrom over him 10 times out of 10.

Reactions: Blowfish

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Or just do not take into consideration the Ducks and Bruins fans who have watched him at the pro level. Just assume he is a goal scorer who has size and will hit everything in site. Good luck with that, Duck fans warned Bruins fans. There are reason's you trade a young high pick. As a Bruins fan good luck to him. Maybe he finally gets it and gets in shape. On the same hand I am so glad he is gone. I would take Nordstrom over him 10 times out of 10.
Right on.
I guess we shoulda just rolled over and showed our bellies.
Imagine if everyone listened to former teams.... Hamilton, Seguin, Wheeler have had fine careers.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Not a bad signing I guess. Ritchie always struck me as one of those players who thinks he's better than he is, so doesn't work as hard as he should.
It's always been and effort and conditioning thing with him. My guess is he will start off well with the Leafs and try hard, then he'll get comfortable and lazy and coast the rest of the contract

Reactions: duckpuck

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes Tavares has cost multiple important pieces. He has an 11M dollar deal and there's a salary cap. You could have another top 6 forward, top 4 D and an upgrade in goal with that money.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Right on.
I guess we shoulda just rolled over and showed our bellies.
Imagine if everyone listened to former teams.... Hamilton, Seguin, Wheeler have had fine careers.

No one ever said they were not good players. I see the attempted pattern you project however Wheeler was traded for Peverley which led to the Bruins winning a Cup. Swing and a miss.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
still doesn't change how invisible he was and how non-physical he was.
The bar is a 43 year old joe Thornton lol. Anywhere’s above that and he’s an improvement which is hilarious as it is

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
still doesn't change how invisible he was and how non-physical he was.
Yeah that happens. Happened with Marner Matthews some guy named foligno and even taylor hall only had 1 point more than Ritchie in the playoffs. For 2.5mil wouldn't say it's a huge risk.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
You really going to compare Nick Ritchie to Hamilton, Seguin, and Wheeler?
Crazy thing is i recall wheeler had pretty low value while in Boston ... If I remember correctly people scoffed at him possibly being a big piece in the Kaberle trade. Remember people seemingly bring happier to get Colborne at the time. Could be wrong though it's a long time now.

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
The Atlantic will be like the pacific where only 3 teams get in and being in a race with Boston Florida and Tampa for the top 3 spots will not be easy as you say it is
Here we go again. Any division the leafs find themselves in sucks and would get killed in X division. This garbage is just too predictable at this point

Reactions: Tarmore

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Literally nobody cares what division the Leafs are in or if they make the playoffs because we all know they'll lose in the first round anyway.
Are you new here? These boards are literally filled with haters banging on about what division the leafs are in. Circle back to the meme that was the north division last year buddy.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Here we go again. Any division the leafs find themselves in sucks and would get killed in X division. This garbage is just too predictable at this point
What are you talking about. I responded to a leaf fan who said the leafs would make the playoffs easy. I don't think so. I think there's a good chance they finish 4th in the Atlantic and then all bets are off considering how good they metro is. Certainly not locks to make playoffs.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
This is 17 pages of Leafs fans trying to be happy with the signing and everyone else trying to tell them Ritchie sucks
Not everyone else. I think he can do the job if well rounded and put in the right chair. A lot of Boston fans are not fans of N. Ritchie and he got a lot of heat on our Boston board. Kase can do the job if he starts .... playing. Was injured most of his time in Boston.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad