Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs sign Nick Ritchie (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It’s totally okay to be positive, and by no means am I saying he can’t be an effective player, but being blind to history also isn’t realistic when it comes to discussing and evaluating a player’s potential. A message board full of devoted hockey fans definitely isn’t going to be butterflies and roses.

My view on Ritchie is he needs to really get motivated. He’s a very bad skater, but he has the ability to catch guys off guard with huge hits and he definitely has a mean streak, though not nearly to the level that most fans would want to see. He’s a very good fighter as well.

Maybe it works out with the Leafs if they don’t count on him for much offense because after the first portion of last year he was a boat anchor on most lines most nights. I’m not saying he didn’t earn the points he got, but he was an underperforming player constantly being put in good positions to get points. And all last year was after coming off a very weak playoff performance the year before.

Hopefully Toronto can find him a role that fits. He didn’t seem dedicated at times in Boston and at no point did he seem at all capable or providing the play necessary fora top 6...any top 6. At times it felt like it was approaching Laraque to the first line in Montreal. I only mention this because many Leaf fans have projected him in the top 6.
Agreed
And I don’t think Leafs will relly too much on him for offence
We got our paid kids to take care of this
U can see dubas is targeting role players so yeah
Should be interesting
Lots on the line this next season

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I didn’t criticize his future play, I criticized his past play and put a little cold water on the insane optimism in this thread. The leafs gave a replacement level player $5m.
And that’s fine
U have to discuss what’s he’s done on the ice
But it’s 5M over 2 years
Leafs can always retain and get something for him lol if he continues to be weak

Claude The Fraud

Apr 2, 2008
Rimouski
It’s probably a good thing we have Barb Underhill than.

He’s going to be home and is excited for that, that’s not something Boston nor Anaheim could provide. I’d like to see him in a place he’s interested in being first before getting negative. :dunno:

Yeah… Poor Nick… Imagine playing hockey for a living, getting paid millions for it, but having to play in Anaheim and Boston… Life can be so tough.

I’ve always thought of the NHL draft being one of the cruelest thing ever. Imagine being a 18 years old kid and being drafted by a team you weren’t really interested being drafted by.

I tought that my grand-father had it rough at 18 when he had to went over-sea to fight Nazi, but that’s nothing compared to the poor Nick being drafted by Anaheim.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Are the “leafs won’t make the playoffs” posts serious or trolling. I think the leafs suck as much as anyone but they should easily make the playoffs

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Are the “leafs won’t make the playoffs” posts serious or trolling. I think the leafs suck as much as anyone but they should easily make the playoffs

I think they should but I think the Atlantic could be competitive at the top. Depends also how the metro shakes out as well which also has quite a few good top teams there too. Will be interesting to see how some of the teams take a step forward who weren't so great last year. I wouldnt be shocked to see some team that has recently normally been a playoff team to find themselves out of it.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
It is pretty funny that Barb Underhill somehow has the magic power to transform any player's skating. People need to realize that every team has a skating coach and they are also at the highest level in their field for a reason. Barb isn't a miracle worker....Ritchie's skating is what it is and I really don't think she could teach him anything he hasn't already been taught. He is a massive man and his skating won't change unless he drops 30 lbs.

I don't think Dubas signed him because he thought Barb could transform him into Tom Wilson. He'll probably settle into a bottom six role, score 10 - 15 goals and stick up for his teammates. Something this team desperately needed. Any expectations over or under this are unrealistic.

Yeah, how is Barb's work with Sandin going? Guy is a painfully slow.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012

With Tampa, Boston, Florida in division I wouldn't say it'll be easy but they should be a playoff team.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
The context is the Leafs cant afford any better and are shopping in the bargain bin for diamonds in the rough. In that context, Kase and Ritchie are decent signings. The likelihood of them working out to fill the gaps on the roster arent great though. People were excited about Thornton and Simmonds last year, and that died out by the 2nd half of the season.
To be fair Simmonds and Thornton individually are as old as Ritchie and Kase are combined, so there’s that

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Leafs looking for Pat Maroon found Nick Balloon
J/K
I was always interested to watch who would turn out better - Jake Virtanen or Nick Ritchie?
Same draft. They are both big wingers, taken four spots apart. People said Virtanen at 6 was a reach, but I always felt that Ritchie at 10 validated the pick somewhat (apparently big power forward wingers were in demand in 2014)
Both seem to have fitness/work ethic issues. Jake Virtanen's skating was always good, which was even more frustrating.
Nick Ritchie seems to have the lead right now but if someone takes Virtanen on reclamation he could have a chip on his shoulder and put together a couple of good seasons. Depends how/if he navigates his legal issues first, though.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
They might not even make the playoffs.

For all the issues the Leafs have in the postseason, scoring and winning in the regular season remains unchanged.

I expect them to be a top 5 team point wise this upcoming season, saying they might not make the playoffs is a horribly bad take

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
For all the issues the Leafs have in the postseason, scoring and winning in the regular season remains unchanged.

I expect them to be a top 5 team point wise this upcoming season, saying they might not make the playoffs is a horribly bad take

...the Atlantic Division this year is gonna be barbaric for every team...don't really see anyone running away with it...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
...the Atlantic Division this year is gonna be barbaric for every team...don't really see anyone running away with it...

Don't see it IMO

Sabres and Red Wins are easily bad.

Senators are still rebuilding

Montreal was a borderline playoff team last year and is worse this year IMO

Heck even TB has to figure out their salary cap still

We should easily be top 3 in the division

Reactions: Metal God

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Enjoy Foligno aka "back spasms"

That’s fine. I’m not expecting too much.

I know it’s inevitable, but I think people are thinking us Bruins fans are just somehow piling on to spite Leafs fans. And I can assure you that’s not the case. I’ve been a Bruins fan for 25 years and there have been few if any players that have spun me into a rage like Ritchie. I’d be saying the same to any fanbase.

Kase on the other hand is a very capable player if he can stay healthy, which he hasn’t been able to thus far in his career.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I think they should but I think the Atlantic could be competitive at the top. Depends also how the metro shakes out as well which also has quite a few good top teams there too. Will be interesting to see how some of the teams take a step forward who weren't so great last year. I wouldnt be shocked to see some team that has recently normally been a playoff team to find themselves out of it.
The reality is that there are a lot of good teams in the East. All of Tampa, Florida, Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Washington, and NYI are quality teams. Montreal has a knack for surprising. Then you have teams like the Rangers and Sens who could take a big step forward at any time (hell I think the Rangers were a lot better than their record from last season would tell you), and the Flyers who have some very good pieces as well. It's not like the West which only has a few teams I could realistically see winning a cup.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
With Tampa, Boston, Florida in division I wouldn't say it'll be easy but they should be a playoff team.

As a Bruins fan, I wouldn’t even be all that surprised if the Bruins miss the playoffs. I wouldn’t say “expect”, but it’s not out of the question. They have a ton of holes that are plugged with guys who may not be capable of filling them.

Losing DK is huge. Sure he declined a bit and they locked up Hall (a very good and necessary move) but what does it really matter in the short term with such a question mark for that 2c spot? They’ve also rebuilt their bottom 6 (again, as they should have) but there’s definitely a chance that it doesn’t work out in terms of being a consistent winner.

And this doesn’t even get into the shortcomings on defense.

The only thing I can say about the Bruins is that they are, as usual, in good shape in terms of goaltending.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
That’s fine. I’m not expecting too much.

I know it’s inevitable, but I think people are thinking us Bruins fans are just somehow piling on to spite Leafs fans. And I can assure you that’s not the case. I’ve been a Bruins fan for 25 years and there have been few if any players that have spun me into a rage like Ritchie. I’d be saying the same to any fanbase.

Kase on the other hand is a very capable player if he can stay healthy, which he hasn’t been able to thus far in his career.
Fair . I take back my snappy retort.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The reality is that there are a lot of good teams in the East. All of Tampa, Florida, Boston, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Washington, and NYI are quality teams. Montreal has a knack for surprising. Then you have teams like the Rangers and Sens who could take a big step forward at any time (hell I think the Rangers were a lot better than their record from last season would tell you), and the Flyers who have some very good pieces as well. It's not like the West which only has a few teams I could realistically see winning a cup.

I think even a team like Tampa or Boston could have issue with it. Not just saying the leafs will not make it because of that. It's going to be very competitive.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Don't see it IMO

Sabres and Red Wins are easily bad.

Senators are still rebuilding

Montreal was a borderline playoff team last year and is worse this year IMO

Heck even TB has to figure out their salary cap still

We should easily be top 3 in the division

Tampa, Toronto, Florida, Boston, Montreal… I’m as skeptical about the Habs as you are, but securely top 3 is nothing anyone but the defending champs should say…and even for them…their bottom six was decimated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad