Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs' Johnsson accepts qualifying offer [1 year, $787,500]

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
I think he’s one of the most underrated forward “prospects” in the league. He’s going to be a really good second line wing in a year or two.

Toronto should have gone for more term. He’s getting a raise.

The Leafs didn't get a choice really. They qualified him and he accepted, they had to qualify him or lose him for nothing. I like his chances on a raise and hope the Marlies produce another option in case he proves to be to expensive.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I guess but it would be kinda weird if a player in his position took 800k over guaranteed 3-4.5M.
But its not a straight trade of 800k vs 3-4.5, because that 3-4.5 is over 2-3 years. So he is hoping that 1 year at 800k turns into another 2-3 at $2-$3 each so it becomes $4.8 at the lowest over the same 3 year span.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Leaf fans, what are you expectations of this guy? I've never seen him play, but from what I see, you like this player.

How do you compare Johnsson to Kapanen? Who has the higher ceiling?

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Leaf fans, what are you expectations of this guy? I've never seen him play, but from what I see, you like this player.

I think Kapanen has higher value because of raw skill and name recognition, but Johnsson will be the better player, because of his smarts.

Both are very fast, hard working, defensively responsible wingers who possess good offensive skills, and would be at home in any team’s middle-6. Both have the potential to be top line guys in a few years.

I like Johnsson more because, as I said earlier, he seems like the smarter player. Always in the right spot, and despite his size, he’s got no fear.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
To me this is actually bad news for the Leafs.

If Dubas and company could have signed Johnsson for 2 or 3 years that would have been better than this 1 year deal.

With the Tavares and Marleau contracts already in play and Nylander, Marner, and Matthews getting significant raises within the next 12 or so months, the Leafs need guys like Johnsson and Kapanen on deals that are as cheap as possible.

If Johnsson has a good year he could ask for $2-$3 mil per year where if he signed a bridge deal now, he might get paid $1-$1.5 a season.

Its not much of a difference but once the big contracts kick in every penny will help.
We'll have to deal with it. If he has such a phenomenal year and we can't sign him (unimaginable) he'll be traded. I'm happy for him and the belief he has in himself. We'll see how Babcock deploys him :sarcasm:

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Dubas should have signed Johnsson for 5 million, one year, and then sign Nylander 11 million for one year (assuming we have 16 million in cap.

Then sign them long term Jan 1, at a discount, on account of paying them way above market value for a single year.
What a wonderful idea... except for a tiny, tiny problem.

They could refuse to sign, and the Leafs would need to give them qualifying offers next June for $5M and $11M, or let them go as UFAs...

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Fun question. Very similar impacts in pro leagues pre-Leafs, both ready to be NHLers, both offensive players who had to pick up some PK time at the behest of Keefe.

IMO, Kapanen has the better straight-line game and a little more strength to adapt after the rush...but Johnsson is better laterally and thinks better in those terms. With the Leafs weaker left side and little opportunity to take PP time on the right, I can't see Kapanen getting the opportunities Johnsson will.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Dubas should have signed Johnsson for 5 million, one year, and then sign Nylander 11 million for one year (assuming we have 16 million in cap.

Then sign them long term Jan 1, at a discount, on account of paying them way above market value for a single year.

Lol that's not how things work.

Reactions: iSophagus

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Kap and Johnsson could be two disgruntled players never to crack the top 6 in TOR.

Will they ask for a trade after this season?

Who knows?

Do you know?

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Did you know that John Druce led the playoffs in scoring one year for the Washington Capitals?

Sample size, guy. One playoff does not a stellar prospect make. Johnsson is a tweener until proven otherwise.

But if you watched every game of the final, as you say, you must have noticed that he was head and shoulders above every other player on the ice. So much so, that Texas focused completely on him whenever he stepped on the ice. Not many prospects do that at the AHL level. Anyway, we'll see how it shakes out, but he has not shown to be "dime-a-dozen" in any way, aside from draft pedigree.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
While as a habs fan I painfully concede that the leafs will be the next best thing for years to come, there are still games to be played. Don't get cocky ;) ! Don't give us an unecessary chance to rub your wounds with salt ... You'd think 10 years of mediocrity would have thought you that much... ;)

Enjoy your golden age!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
For a 7th round pick he looks terrific. He was a great in the AHL playoffs and looked real good in the NHl in a very limited role. He's a huge upgrade on Komorov for sure.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
For a 7th round pick he looks terrific. He was a great in the AHL playoffs and looked real good in the NHl in a very limited role. He's a huge upgrade on Komorov for sure.

Leo and him are completely different players - can't compare them to claim it's an upgrade.

Leo was a black hole offensively who hits everything and plays solid defensive minutes. AJo is gifted offensively and is no where near as physical, although they both can skate (AJo is faster, although Leo's speed is very underrated).

They bring different attributes to the table, but I'm glad we didn't give out that contract Lou gave Leo for sure; if AJo suddenly explodes this season (unlikely, since he will not get alot/if any PP time), then we trade him for as much as we can and move on.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
While as a habs fan I painfully concede that the leafs will be the next best thing for years to come, there are still games to be played. Don't get cocky ;) ! Don't give us an unecessary chance to rub your wounds with salt ... You'd think 10 years of mediocrity would have thought you that much... ;)

Enjoy your golden age!

I agree.

Games have to be played, and players need to preform.

I also think being to cock or arrogant is a bad thing, and it is exactly what will piss off other posters. So lets all just enjoy the seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad