Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs' Johnsson accepts qualifying offer [1 year, $787,500]

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
except the previous poster said he didn't watch much leafs and watch all the Calder cup finals
If you want to talk nhl games, I could point to his stellar possession umbers (56.9%
)
He faced pretty bad competition in the nhl though. But I think he proved he can play in the top 9

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
You know people really don’t care about your team, when they find a way to turn a 23 y/o RFA signing a QO into a controversy

HandshakeLineRespect

Respect in the Handshake Line
Apr 17, 2017
Brampton
Man, who cares if the haters think he is barely a top 9 player. Let’s not forget that the leafs third line is gonna be better than most teams second line. A Johnsson-Kadri-Kap third line would feast.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Until Johnsson proves that he can score 15 goals and get 40 points at the NHL level........no, he does not.

Why not give Johnsson the chance and put Hyman on the third line with say Kadri and Kapanen in a checking/grit role? Hyman's played two seasons with Matthews and Nylander and 40pts is the best he's done. I'd give Johnsson 20-30 games with either of Matthews or Tavares and see if he can't do just as well if not better playing on a talented line.

If he can't handle it you can always bump him down, but I'd much rather test trying Johnsson on one of the two top lines and look at what he can do than have Hyman in the top six again unless we have no choice.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Why not give Johnsson the chance and put Hyman on the third line with say Kadri and Kapanen in a checking/grit role? Hyman's played two seasons with Matthews and Nylander and 40pts is the best he's done. I'd give Johnsson 20-30 games with either of Matthews or Tavares and see if he can't do just as well if not better playing on a talented line.

If he can't handle it you can always bump him down, but I'd much rather test trying Johnsson on one of the two top lines and look at what he can do than have Hyman in the top six again unless we have no choice.

There's more of a chance of Marleau sliding down to play with Kadri than Hyman. He wants to play Zach with the top players. I think the only reason he's off Matthews line is that Babcock expects Marner/Tavares to be even better than Nylander/Matthews.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
There's more of a chance of Marleau sliding down to play with Kadri than Hyman. He wants to play Zach with the top players. I think the only reason he's off Matthews line is that Babcock expects Marner/Tavares to be even better than Nylander/Matthews.
I think Hyman is in a unique situation, his skill set allows him to play with guys like Matthews and Nylander because all you really need to do is get them the puck. Don't need to be a play-making wizz really. I don't know if he'd be as effective playing with less skilled guys. The Kadri line is still going to be expected to produce offense, it's not a typical grinding line. If he's going to get moved off the top two lines I'd rather see him just go down to the fourth and make a real grinding line. I don't see the 4th line being used very much though this season.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I never assumed all those things, but he came in this past season when given a chance(injury) and took the job pushing Komarov, and keeping Martin, Leivo, and Moore out of the lineup. He was pretty solid in the playoffs as well playing ahead of those guys and Babs loves him from the short stint he had. He's also not waiver exempt so worse case he'd be another Leivo asset management waiver avoidence thing. But lets be real for that to happen 5 guys would have to pass him. Leivo, Lindholm, Grundstrom, Ennis, Jooris? He's beating out likely all of those guys.

He's going to be on the roster. Where it goes from there will depend on him and how he plays. He probably starts on 3LW with Kadri and Kapanen/Brown, and it'll go from there. He's not our 3rd best winger now, but it wouldn't be completely outlandish if he outperforms the likes of Kapanen, Brown, and Hyman this year and TBH current Marleau isn't the highest of bars for a winger to reach either. Obviously the guy who said that is very high on Johnsson and thinks he could accomplish that this year. That's him, it's not all of us, so not sure why you decided to respond to me with that comparison.

Responded to you bc I’ve chatted with you in the past. He’s likely slotted first in line for the prospects (him and KK), my only point is it’s a big step from the A to the nhl......before being gifted a perm position on the Leafs he needs to earn it. Albeit he may start in that position in Oct, he’s got to keep it/earn it. Certainly won’t be the Leafs 3rd best winger, that’s a bit of crazy talk.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
To me this is actually bad news for the Leafs.

If Dubas and company could have signed Johnsson for 2 or 3 years that would have been better than this 1 year deal.

With the Tavares and Marleau contracts already in play and Nylander, Marner, and Matthews getting significant raises within the next 12 or so months, the Leafs need guys like Johnsson and Kapanen on deals that are as cheap as possible.

If Johnsson has a good year he could ask for $2-$3 mil per year where if he signed a bridge deal now, he might get paid $1-$1.5 a season.

Its not much of a difference but once the big contracts kick in every penny will help.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He faced pretty bad competition in the nhl though. But I think he proved he can play in the top 9

He showed flashes of real top 6 skill. The goal against Boston in the playoffs comes to mind. Like with any prospect it's an uphill battle, but there's reason to be moderately excited with Johnsson. He's very versatile, PP, PK, passing is decent, hands are decent, shot is decent, and he's flat out fast. He has the tools to succeed. Up to him to prove it.

Reactions: 67Cup

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Patrick Marleau isn't hard for him to outperform? A player who scored 27 goals last year and who has over 1100 points in 1500+ NHL games, isn't hard for Andreas Johnsson to outperform?

This is a player with 3 goals in 15 career NHL games. I wouldn't be so certain.
What does Marleaus career numbers have to do with this? And again, some of you really lack context. Johnsson was on the fourth line last year. The fourth line. Same with Kapanen. I bet you didn't know that. But that doesn't stop you guys from heading over to hockeydb and forming an opinion. Nobody cares how certain YOU are because we actually watch the team play and understand the context of those numbers. It's not exactly a secret that increased ice time almost always equals more points. Johnsson is one of the most nhl ready prospects in the league, he's been around for a long time and if he can find his way onto the top 9 he's going to be playing with one of Tavares,Matthews or Kadri. He's going to produce.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Responded to you bc I’ve chatted with you in the past. He’s likely slotted first in line for the prospects (him and KK), my only point is it’s a big step from the A to the nhl......before being gifted a perm position on the Leafs he needs to earn it. Albeit he may start in that position in Oct, he’s got to keep it/earn it. Certainly won’t be the Leafs 3rd best winger, that’s a bit of crazy talk.
no, it's really not. It's only a possibility as I've said and I wouldn't bet on it, but it's not crazy to think he might be more talented than a 39 year old Patty Marleau. I also don't think Brown, Hyman, or Kapanen are as far ahead of him as you seem to think, if at all

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Johnson should get 15g and35ish pts
leafs will give him a brown/hyman type deal - 3-4 years x 2.5

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
well the leafs do have a very good group at forward and is top 5 for sure best is a bit of a jump. There are a few teams that can give them a run caps, pens, bruins, bolts, jets, preds, all have very strong groups and could challenge for that spot.

Those teams mentioned all have stronger defense groups. This is all on paper though and no team ever won the cup in mid July. gonna be a fun season

id say second. jets were 2nd last year (3 ahead of leafs) but adding tavares and the jets not keeping stastny (plus losing armia) should tilt the balance

Tampa has to be #1

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Was it expected he'd get more than his qualifying offer? especially on a 1 year deal.

yeah, most likely would have gotten what leivo got (925k) on a 2 yr deal.
thats 1.85 over 2, so he is banking on playing well enough to make more than 1.1 next year to make up for it.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
yeah, most likely would have gotten what leivo got (925k) on a 2 yr deal.
thats 1.85 over 2, so he is banking on playing well enough to make more than 1.1 next year to make up for it.

787k vs 925k isn't exactly a huge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad