Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs' Johnsson accepts qualifying offer [1 year, $787,500]

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
20 goals, 50 points.

Best forward group in the league AINEC.

well the leafs do have a very good group at forward and is top 5 for sure best is a bit of a jump. There are a few teams that can give them a run caps, pens, bruins, bolts, jets, preds, all have very strong groups and could challenge for that spot.

Those teams mentioned all have stronger defense groups. This is all on paper though and no team ever won the cup in mid July. gonna be a fun season

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Well this thread is out to a marvelous start.

He's giving himself a chance to earn a bigger contract in a years time.

Yup, no chance he's going to be in the minors this year, so the two way contract doesn't matter. Took his QO offer knowing that he's likely to be in a top nine role this year and he's betting on himself to have a good year.

I would've liked to have got him for 2-3 years but I see how this makes sense for Johnsson.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
As many have stated would have liked to see him locked up for 2-3 years but considering we haven’t seen anything in the regular season it’s hard to say that would have been smart. I see him in our top 9 long term but he might be thrown on the forth line until Leivo is moved at the TDL.

Reactions: ninetyone

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
well the leafs do have a very good group at forward and is top 5 for sure best is a bit of a jump. There are a few teams that can give them a run caps, pens, bruins, bolts, jets, preds, all have very strong groups and could challenge for that spot.

Those teams mentioned all have stronger defense groups. This is all on paper though and no team ever won the cup in mid July. gonna be a fun season

Also all have a better goaltender.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yup the guy above gets what a thread is.... but like usual half the people on here want to have a pissing contest...

Anyway great contact. Prove yourself and go from there. Nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Liferleafer

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You can? over who?

Marleau Matthews Nylander

Hyman Tavares Marner

baring injury that will be tough to crack
only thing I can see depending how much of a hotstreak Johnsson goes on, I can see him bumping up to 2nd line over Marleau (doubt it would stick just from game to game)
but really u never know what if Johnsson gets around 50-60 points (I dont expect anywhere close to that)
but its still possible. this is a great problem to have anyways.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
20 goals, 50 points.

Best forward group in the league AINEC.
I know this is not sarcasm as it lacks any sense of irony. It is close. Pittsburgh with Crosby and Geno and Phil might better. They certainly are not devestated by the loss of a superstar like the Islanders are. Oh, I think the Jets also a forward group that is as good if not better; more seasoned anyway.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Johnsson is a good young player. He'll be good on the 3rd line, and I expect 10-15 goals out of him, and maybe 30 points.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He wants to get paid, makes sense. Why accept more than a one year deal when you haven't had a chance to establish yourself. If he plays as well as most Leafs fans expect he'll get a nice raise in a year as opposed to making a low amount for another year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Sure liked his intensity when he played with Leafs and with the Marlies. I kinda doubt that he is going too be scoring much in the NHL. His "greatness" in the AHL, just may not transpose in the NHL.
If Hyman and Marleau are the top two LWer and Kadri continues to get PP time as LWer, there may not be great opportunities offensive opportunities for Johnson. Maybe just 3rd line minutes....which is still good.
Good signing by the Leafs. And good luck to both parties. Hopefully he has a great season and earns himself a big well deserved contract.

Buzzman17

Apr 13, 2017
Dubas should have signed Johnsson for 5 million, one year, and then sign Nylander 11 million for one year (assuming we have 16 million in cap.

Then sign them long term Jan 1, at a discount, on account of paying them way above market value for a single year.

HoBOonFiRE

Nov 8, 2009
Oshawa
I'm going to say he's the leafs best LW. Sure Marleau plays a smart safe game but Johnsson has all the tools to be an impact scoring 2 way guy that can be slotted onto the pk.

Hes betting on himself and if he gets a fair chance at playing time he could put up some nice numbers. I've been pumping this guys tires for the last 2 years and now it's his time to show what he can do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad