Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Interesting thing about the bolded part.

Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Funny thing is you even got called out by another Islanders fan for flip flopping on signing Tavares for 8 years as a bad move and then after Trotz was hired you were all on board the long term contract again. Now it seems he was going to have a good 5 years with NYI and now that he's a Leafs he gets 2 years max.

The very post you cited, had me stating that a 8 year long contract with the Isles has a lot of risk. It just confirms what I have stated all along. Tavares early years of the contract are palatable as long as you do not view him as the best or 2nd best player in the NHL. 15.9M the 16M dollar man, or 11M per second only to McDavid where he should rack up enough points on the PP to quiet the critics. But the game is only getting faster and Tavares as with most players will be getting slower. The latter years of his contract, I give it 2 years he will never live up to. You can mark my words on this in the 20-21 season and beyond. But check the threads when he was an Islander. I have been consistent on win now and suffer later observation based on my many viewings of watching Barzal's historic season, a by product of watching Tavares for some time now.

Feb 24, 2017
I will leave you with this regarding your true captain does not leave nonsense. Tell it to Mark Messier, arguably one of the greatest captains to ever put on skates, so much so they have leadership award named after him.

July 28: Messier leaves Rangers for Canucks
That was actually a covert operation to really finish the job off after winning the 94 final over Vancouver. Just like Benning was sent by Boston to really plummet Vancouver into shit after 2011.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You know that just sounded odd to me with the sheer amount you post in any thread where you disagree with someone, so I was curious and had a few minutes to kill while waiting for my turn to present on a call at work. It's interesting how you like to leave out certain details like you were actually on vacation during this arbitrary timeline.

LMAO. I just knew there was something fishy about that post. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting thing about the bolded part.

Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Funny thing is you even got called out by another Islanders fan for flip flopping on signing Tavares for 8 years as a bad move and then after Trotz was hired you were all on board the long term contract again. Now it seems he was going to have a good 5 years with NYI and now that he's a Leafs he gets 2 years max.

TWS jinxed the Islanders by creating that thread.

I'm thankful he's not a leafs fan anymore.

Reactions: nobody

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ironic statement, considering you have more posts and emoticons in this thread than me in the last 2 weeks. Don't even dispute this fact.

Just wanted to welcome you back. I will be honest, it has been a long few weeks while you were away. The others are not as good as you at what you do. You provide hours of entertainment and I suspect most Leaf fans play along for the same reason I do - because it's really, REALLY entertaining to see you flip flop and contradict yourself in multiple threads and get called out on it, only to flip flop again.

You are truly - generational - at it.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
The very post you cited, had me stating that a 8 year long contract with the Isles has a lot of risk. It just confirms what I have stated all along. Tavares early years of the contract are palatable as long as you do not view him as the best or 2nd best player in the NHL. 15.9M the 16M dollar man, or 11M per second only to McDavid where he should rack up enough points on the PP to quiet the critics. But the game is only getting faster and Tavares as with most players will be getting slower. The latter years of his contract, I give it 2 years he will never live up to. You can mark my words on this in the 20-21 season and beyond. But check the threads when he was an Islander. I have been consistent on win now and suffer later observation based on my many viewings of watching Barzal's historic season, a by product of watching Tavares for some time now.
its funny you have a crystal ball stating that JT is going to regress to the point of being a burden to the leafs, I watched a lot of Isles games too and most nights he was the best player on the ice, hard on the puck, competing, and a crazy good skill set, I bet he is in crazy good shape considering how hard he works in the corners and out muscles most defenders.

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
The very post you cited, had me stating that a 8 year long contract has a lot of risk. It just confirms what I have stated all along. Tavares early years of the contract are palatable as long as you do not view him as the best or 2nd best player in the NHL. 15.9M the 16M dollar man, or 11M per second only to McDavid. The latter years of his contract, I give it 2 years he will never live up to. You can mark my words on this in the 20-21 season and beyond. But check the threads when he was an Islander. I have been consistent on win now and suffer later with Tavares for some time now.
Yup, I read the part and I also read the part where you said 5 years is ideal but not possible to sign for less than 8. I also read the part where you said Islander fans (I'm assuming you count as one?) would not care about JT's performance in years 6, 7 or 8. So after 5 years move JT to Matthews' wing for the remainder of his term. Contract seem more palatable to you then?

Tell me what has happened to JT in between that post and the one from today other than changing jerseys?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What's funny is that TWS was very keen on having Tavares join the Habs as a possible destination last summer, but Tavares wasn't viewed as a traitor in that context.

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/135498101/

"As a NHL neutral fan. I'm hoping he goes to Montreal. He has played with Price and Weber for Team Canada. He would be the man up front there. Tavares, Weber, Price, with Drouin and Pacioretty as wingers. This would be a team that is quite formidable."

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/135518795/

“Yep, star players and the city of Montreal should be incentive enough for Tavares if Montreal pursues him as a FA. If you are a great player, you are idolized there like no other place in hockey.

Here is what Subban said: There is no place like being a player in a city with so much history in hockey like Montreal. “

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147384987/

“I don't know. A Stamkos, Tavares, Point 1-2-3 punch is pretty scary if Yzerman can pull it off. Maybe he saw this as the missing part against Washington this spring. It is interesting to see how Yzerman approaches this off season. He's got a meeting with JT, so he's got a chance tomorrow selling a roster that looks stronger with the Miller signing.”

The raw truth is, there was probably no one more upset on this planet than TWS when JT signed with the Leafs.

I've known him a long time, he's crushed, but it makes everything a lot funnier.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yup, I read the part and I also read the part where you said 5 years is ideal but not possible to sign for less than 8. I also read the part where you said Islander fans (I'm assuming you count as one?) would not care about JT's performance in years 6, 7 or 8. So after 5 years move JT to Matthews' wing for the remainder of his term. Contract seem more palatable to you then?

Tell me what has happened to JT in between that post and the one from today other than changing jerseys?

If you are as efficient as searching my posts as to find that one snippet. You will discover starting in the 2nd half of last season I commented on' is Tavares hurt'? More than a few times to Isles fans because it looked like the game was too fast for him, there was a decline in his game in the 2nd half. I commented on this. This is where me and the poster you quoted had a disagreement on whether it was worth the risk to sign a player that was never fast to begin with, that was only getting slower for today's game. Who knows maybe he was hurt, and this is why he played so badly 5 v 5. Only his PP stats made his season respectable. But yeah if you want to pay Tavares 16M this year or 11M per for his cap hit. A 5 year contract would be best. 2, maybe he can squeeze a 3rd good year, and a decline where of 2 overpaid years is better than 4 or 5 years of overpaid declining player at 11M per. It's going to be interesting starting in the 20-21 season. But I have seen players slide after big contracts at a similar age. IE. Perry, Weber, Toews. So if you want to quote me in the 20-21 season. Save this post.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If you are as efficient as searching my posts as to find that one snippet. You will discover starting in the 2nd half of last season I commented on' is Tavares hurt'? More than a few times to Isles fans because it looked like the game was too fast for him, there was a decline in his game in the 2nd half. I commented on this. This is where me and the poster you quoted had a disagreement on whether it was worth the risk to sign a player that was never fast to begin with, that was only getting slower for today's game. Who knows maybe he was hurt, and this is why he played so badly 5 v 5. Only his PP stats made his season respectable. But yeah if you want to pay Tavares 16M this year or 11M per. A 5 year contract would be best. 2, maybe 3 good years, and a decline where of 2 overpaid years. It's going to be interesting starting in the 20-21 season. But I have seen players slide after big contracts at a similar age. IE. Perry, Weber, Toews. So if you want to quote me in the 20-21 season. Save this post.

Why are you using all these characters/words to just hide that you started fearing JT to Toronto back in February.

It's okay man.

Reactions: nobody

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
Just because it is fun, I want to point out another hypocrite comment being made in this thread

Tavares thread #3, Perhaps we can now move onto his hockey expectations this year from a league perspective, He will be making double what he previously did at 5.5M per, he is now the highest paid player this upcoming season at 15.9, 2.4 more than McDavid. And is no longer a bargain with the 2nd highest cap hit next year at 11M. Tavares went from the safety of a small market to the danger of under a microscope of one of the largest markets in the league. Any slump will be magnified when you are a normal player playing in this market, but as the highest paid player in tbe NHL. He will literally have to be the best player in the league to earn that 15.9 next season or the critics will be out that he is another overpaid free agent that was signed on July 1 for the next 7 years.

See, here you are selling this as a bad thing, but in this thread

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/thre...is-his-most-likely-destination.2383339/page-3

You said

Yep, star players and the city of Montreal should be incentive enough for Tavares if Montreal pursues him as a FA. If you are a great player, you are idolized there like no other place in hockey.

Here is what Subban said: There is no place like being a player in a city with so much history in hockey like Montreal.

P.K. Subban honored in return to Montreal

So which is it? Is it a good thing to be idolized or a bad thing? Or were you trying to imply the Montreal media are friendly and would never talk about a slump?

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
What's funny is that TWS was very keen on having Tavares join the Habs as a possible destination last summer, but Tavares wasn't viewed as a traitor in that context.

"As a NHL neutral fan. I'm hoping he goes to Montreal. He has played with Price and Weber for Team Canada. He would be the man up front there. Tavares, Weber, Price, with Drouin and Pacioretty as wingers. This would be a team that is quite formidable."

“Yep, star players and the city of Montreal should be incentive enough for Tavares if Montreal pursues him as a FA. If you are a great player, you are idolized there like no other place in hockey.

Here is what Subban said: There is no place like being a player in a city with so much history in hockey like Montreal. “

“I don't know. A Stamkos, Tavares, Point 1-2-3 punch is pretty scary if Yzerman can pull it off. Maybe he saw this as the missing part against Washington this spring. It is interesting to see how Yzerman approaches this off season. He's got a meeting with JT, so he's got a chance tomorrow selling a roster that looks stronger with the Miller signing.”

The raw truth is, there was probably no one more upset on this planet than TWS when JT signed with the Leafs.

I've known him a long time, he's crushed, but it makes everything a lot funnier.

Lmao man we posted the same quote a few minutes apart but you beat me. Good job. Great stuff.

Reactions: X66

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Win now. Suffer later. Very consistent in what I have posted when he was an Islander and consistent if he would have landed in TB. Nothing to see here. We all know you are a biggest Leafs cheerleader here. But as for Montreal having something to cheer about for the next 2 years. What's wrong with this? Thread is about Tavares, not me. You may not like it, but there is plenty of time to see if Tavares will live up to the latter years of 11M per. I am betting he won't come the 20-21 season. A serious decline will start to emerge. You want to obsess on posters and not the player, then search my post here. I have a good idea the window to win with Tavares is no more than 2 years given his contract. The remaining 5 years may be painful ones for you. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Win now. Suffer later. Very consistent in what I have posted when he was an Islander and consistent if he would have landed in TB. Nothing to see here. We all know you are a biggest Leafs cheerleader here. But as for Montreal having something to cheer about for the next 2 years. What's wrong with this? Thread is about Tavares, not me. You may not like it, but there is plenty of time to see if Tavares will live up to the latter years of 11M per. I am betting he won't come the 20-21 season. A serious decline will start to emerge. You want to obsess on posters and not the player, then search my post here. I have a good idea the window to win with Tavares is no more than 2 years given his contract. The remaining 5 years may be painful ones for you. Time will tell.

All those words. Too bad you didn't address the point. :popcorn:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

Again, why waste all the time to type this.

You’re obviously distraught over this signing, come back in a few years.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad