Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Tavares gave the isles a chance and considered signing an extension with them even though they didn't deserve it. For that he is being trashed by isles fans.

It's just pure greed on their part.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If I were a young Isles fan, I'd be ordering a leafs Tavares jersey right now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I bet all the people here have a hard time choosing what they want for dinner each night and spend half an hr deciding what movie they want to watch.

Just brutal.
Guy leaves probably 6 million on the table to have a team build around him. They fail miserably. They move arenas, trade his buddies and he turns third line grinders into ppg players.

He doesn’t have a Ntc. Denies asking not to be traded, and the isles have the right to trade him at any time. They choose not to, fire his buddies (right move or not) and then he decides to leave.

He didn’t sign. He didnt demand a Ntc. The isles could have moved him against his wishes. They gambled and lost in a close decision which should never have even been close really.

Fans are pissed he didn’t write an article like Bozak, who spent tons of time on toronto but then ends it with excitement for the blues. Isles fans applaud it. Even after the threats and the jersey burning and ridiculousness, there is an article that follows the exact same format as Bozak.

Isles fans are still mad. They continue to say that they loved him and blah blah blah. But say they were fine with him leaving but just wanted to get something for him.

That’s like being fine with a break up, but hoping that the person just leaves their TV.

Reactions: 4thline

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Not remotely the same situation here Syl Apps. Again channel your avatar, and you will know why.
You have nothing. You have been whipping Isles fans into a frenzy, since Lou joined them, and are stoking the flames of anti-Tavares sentiment for my guess is 2 reasons.
1) To prop Barzal up by tearing down Tavares.
2) Because he signed with the Leafs.
You have not made any logical rebuttal, substantiated with any sort of evidence other than "so and so feels..."

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You have nothing. You have been whipping Isles fans into a frenzy, since Lou joined them, and are stoking the flames of anti-Tavares sentiment for my guess is 2 reasons.
1) To prop Barzal up by tearing down Tavares.
2) Because he signed with the Leafs.
You have not made any logical rebuttal, substantiated with any sort of evidence other than "so and so feels..."

Plus apparently JT is going to decline at 29 and the contract will be an albatross with all the sports science going on, and the cap increasing.........:huh::help:

If he signed that same contract withe the Isles, he would be saying how great it was to sign a player just entering his prime, at a price that's reasonable for superstar players lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Ironic statement, considering you have more posts and emoticons in this thread than me in the last 2 weeks. Don't even dispute this fact.

Don't be modest now, the volume of your posts on the subject of the Maple Leafs is the stuff of legend.

On the subject of facts - has this thread even been open 2 weeks?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I bet all the people here have a hard time choosing what they want for dinner each night and spend half an hr deciding what movie they want to watch.

That’s like being fine with a break up, but hoping that the person just leaves their TV.

Gem of a post.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010

Just brutal.
Guy leaves probably 6 million on the table to have a team build around him. They fail miserably. They move arenas, trade his buddies and he turns third line grinders into ppg players.

He doesn’t have a Ntc. Denies asking not to be traded, and the isles have the right to trade him at any time. They choose not to, fire his buddies (right move or not) and then he decides to leave.

He didn’t sign. He didnt demand a Ntc. The isles could have moved him against his wishes. They gambled and lost in a close decision which should never have even been close really.

Fans are pissed he didn’t write an article like Bozak, who spent tons of time on toronto but then ends it with excitement for the blues. Isles fans applaud it. Even after the threats and the jersey burning and ridiculousness, there is an article that follows the exact same format as Bozak.

Isles fans are still mad. They continue to say that they loved him and blah blah blah. But say they were fine with him leaving but just wanted to get something for him.

They should be mad...but at snow.

Snow milburried that team so bad, who would choose to stay there right now?

Reactions: DanM

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Plus apparently JT is going to decline at 29 and the contract will be an albatross with all the sports science going on, and the cap increasing.........:huh::help:

If he signed that same contract withe the Isles, he would be saying how great it was to sign a player just entering his prime, at a price that's reasonable for superstar players lol
If JT signed the even larger contract in San Jose the talk of the town would be how great a move it was, how San Jose won the lottery for a franchise player etc etc.

The complete 180 turn on JT from many posters after he signed for the Leafs was comical. It to perfectly describes how some posters act towards anything Toronto related.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If JT signed the even larger contract in San Jose the talk of the town would be how great a move it was, how San Jose won the lottery for a franchise player etc etc.

Yep

Classic HFBoards

We have some great posters, but for sure the highest amount of morons per capita of all the major sports boards lol

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
All this anger at JT speaks volumes to how bad it is on the island right now. There is no hope there if they are still clinging to anger at one player two weeks later.

Also speaks volumes to the haters of just how good the leafs are that they are grasping at all the straws right now in an attempt to villify the Leafs two weeks later.

These tears are too salty for my tongue lol.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yep

Classic HFBoards

We have some great posters, but for sure the highest amount of morons per capita of all the major sports boards lol
I have thought that a lot of these morons are the same like 10 posters with a ton of different accounts.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

The complete 180 turn on JT from many posters after he signed for the Leafs was comical. It to perfectly describes how some posters act towards anything Toronto related.

Tavares is a like a fine wine. Those who have it savour it. Those who don't have to make do with sour grapes.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
You use the avatar of one of the greatest captains in NHL history yet you comment as you are naive about what a true Captain is. IMO change your avatar if you truly do not understand how Isles fans feel. But a true Captain does not bail out on a team and his teammates.

Thinking of your avatar comments towards me, I couldn't help posting about the irony of a guy who has a brainwashed assassin as his avatar, lecturing me on the virtues of leadership and loyalty, also considering you seemingly abandoned the team (Leafs) you were once supposedly loyal to.

Again ask Isles fans about how they feel Tavares deceived them and his teammates and organization. To me I don't care either way since I feel Tavares contract will only be palatable for 2 years before he becomes another July 1 free agent signing that is overpaid and declining.

If Tavares and Marner have big years playing together, how are you going to spin it?

Declining Tavares being carried by Marner who according to you was carried by Christian Dvorak in London?
or
Undersized Marner being carried by the supposedly declining Tavares?

Who am I kidding, you will probably latch on to neither, but they are both being carried by Zach Hyman.
or
Better yet, are you going to use the match ups argument and say their stats are inflated by the fact that sometimes teams line up their best checking lines against Matthews/Nylander....

But then you have to admit how good of a C Matthews is, and even better you run the risk of having that argument thrown back in your face, because one could point to how Tavares did the same thing for Barzal last year and his stats were inflated as a result.

Looking forward to your reply.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Friendly reminder that anyone not willing to commit to uprooting their family and leaving a job they're happy with 6 months before they're even allowed to speak with their dream job is scum.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Ironic statement, considering you have more posts and emoticons in this thread than me in the last 2 weeks. Don't even dispute this fact.

You know that just sounded odd to me with the sheer amount you post in any thread where you disagree with someone, so I was curious and had a few minutes to kill while waiting for my turn to present on a call at work. It's interesting how you like to leave out certain details like you were actually on vacation during this arbitrary timeline.

Hey guys, I am away on vacation a week now. Just checking in.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You use the avatar of one of the greatest captains in NHL history yet you comment as you are naive about what a true Captain is. IMO change your avatar if you truly do not understand how Isles fans feel. But a true Captain does not bail out on a team and his teammates.

At the end of the day, he left a joke of a franchise(their current situation) after they wasted 9 years of his career.

Who cares how Islanders fans feel when they can't even fill an arena. You think Tavares likes looking into the stands and seeing an empty barn all the time?

Islanders attendance has been bottom 10 every single year Tavares was there, including many last place finishes in attendance.

Islanders fans want to talk about loyalty?

How about you guys go support your team, even when they're bad.

You think he likes knowing that the earliest they'll move into their new arena is when he'll be in his 30's?

The guy signed a sweet-heart deal for them and they did nothing with it.

Islanders ownership and the Islanders fan base are the ones that deserve all the blame here.

Last edited:

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Trotz, Lamoriello, and new Ownership who have invested a lot of money and all indications are still going to invest money have zero to do with previous 6 years of how the Organization was run. This is a false point people point to, to give the 16M dollar man an out in how he left.

Again ask Isles fans about how they feel Tavares deceived them and his teammates and organization. To me I don't care either way since I feel Tavares contract will only be palatable for 2 years before he becomes another July 1 free agent signing that is overpaid and declining. In the end, if I am an Isles fan, I do not want a Captain that wants to leave at the first chance to test free agency. Test is the key word, he failed what a true captain would do. That is stay loyal to his teammates and to the team that he credited in shaping the person he is today. Isles are in an infinite better position than they were under Snow. So call it as I see it. No one blames him for testing free agency, he has earned this right.

But Isles fans do blame him for his lack of transparency and deception on stringing them along. For this they are better off without Tavares wearing the 'C' IMO. As a true Captain would not do this.
Interesting thing about the bolded part.

Isles may have good news on John Tavares as well

Funny thing is you even got called out by another Islanders fan for flip flopping on signing Tavares for 8 years as a bad move and then after Trotz was hired you were all on board the long term contract again. Now it seems he was going to have a good 5 years with NYI and now that he's a Leafs he gets 2 years max.

Reactions: Kelly and AppsSyl
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad