Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Agreed. The Leafs are going to be very scary and if their young D, other than Reilly, can take that next step collectively next Spring than they'll hoisting the SC.
The true keys to whether the Leafs can be a perennial long-term contender will be the development of Dermott and Liljegren. Liljegren, I'm not expecting to play a role for the Leafs until 2019/20. Sandin will be in the mix, but its way too early to put that type of burden of expectations for him, and any player picked in the 20's is a somewhat longshot to be an impact NHLer. Those 2 are by far the two biggest X-factors for the Leafs long-term. If both turn into legitimate top 3 defenders, it solves a big long-term need. I'm not saying its likely, but if they can, along with the retention of the 4 key forwards, the Leafs will be in the best spot they've been in ages.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
This has gotten to three threads? Wow.

I love Tavares in the line-up as much as the next Leafs fan, but what is there left that has been unsaid at this point?
It's just because they switched back to the 1000 post thread limit in the last few days. It would actually be 8 pages if they switched earlier. The JT free agency thread would have been about 15 pages long lol

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The Leafs top 9 is

Marleau Matthews Nylander

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Kadri Brown

What's amazing about that the only asset that was traded in putting that together was Greg Mckegg for Hyman.
They traded ZERO 1ST round picks and ZERO top prospects to build that top 9.

John Tavares cost them NOTHING
The Hyman McKkegg trade was a prospect trade as well the Marlies had a role in developing him.

Reactions: bansheebeat

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
john-tavares-holds-up-maple-leafs-jerser.jpg

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think Tavares will have a huge impact. Some people however seem to think he's "just a name", I guess we'll see.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
The Leafs top 9 is

Marleau Matthews Nylander

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Kadri Brown

What's amazing about that the only asset that was traded in putting that together was Greg Mckegg for Hyman.
They traded ZERO 1ST round picks and ZERO top prospects to build that top 9.

John Tavares cost them NOTHING
Poor kadri. Playing with 4th liners. Should be him playing with marner.
I guess he has to play with 4th liners since the leafs can't afford to pay for 3rd liners since the need to budget about 25 million to pay 3 players within a year.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
The true keys to whether the Leafs can be a perennial long-term contender will be the development of Dermott and Liljegren. Liljegren, I'm not expecting to play a role for the Leafs until 2019/20. Sandin will be in the mix, but its way too early to put that type of burden of expectations for him, and any player picked in the 20's is a somewhat longshot to be an impact NHLer. Those 2 are by far the two biggest X-factors for the Leafs long-term. If both turn into legitimate top 3 defenders, it solves a big long-term need. I'm not saying its likely, but if they can, along with the retention of the 4 key forwards, the Leafs will be in the best spot they've been in ages.

Yup. The Leafs have a LOT of good young defencemen coming up now, and it will hopefully pay dividends for years to come. Dermott is already there, and Liljegren is maybe a year away, and then there's Sandin and Durzi on the way, then Rasanen, Gordeev, Kral, Hollowel, Greenway, Nielson..........even if just a few of these kids pan out, it'll be huge.

Reactions: RayB

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Poor kadri. Playing with 4th liners. Should be him playing with marner.
I guess he has to play with 4th liners since the leafs can't afford to pay for 3rd liners since the need to budget about 25 million to pay 3 players within a year.

Poor Kadri? Part of the reason he scored 30 goals for two seasons was he played on the PP at LW with Matthews and Nylander. He was the centre for a 27 goal scorer Marleau. Poor Kadri? No poor misinformed fan that think a numbering system of positions has meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad