Sunny Etobicoke
That oughtta do it. Great work, Dubas!

lCAPuE5.gif

Reactions: Morrison

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
This is a trade....that sets up the next trade. Good deal for Leafs....added a NHL player for a AHL player.

Now they can trade away a Kerfoot/KK in a deal for a Dman and have a NHL replacement.

Toronto already has a replacement for Kapanen/Kerfoot in Mikheyev who should be back in a few weeks.

This feels more like Florida wanted to unload a guy that was at odds with the coach and Toronto was offering something they wanted more than other teams’ offers.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Malgin has skill and play good against the Puck, Has Eye and Hockey IQ, but biggest weak points so far. He cant put up the Numbers and physical Game is not what he is solid in.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I don't understand this for Florida, they are in a playoff battleand gave up a guy that we at least know is an NHL player for a guy that isn't and make no mistake Mason Marchment isn't an NHL guy.

It's a minor deal but I don't get it.

I know, right? It's almost as if they're knowingly shipping over a player who will torpedo Toronto's playoff hopes, awarding that 3rd divisional spot to Florida in the process.

Maybe he'll be like the Martin Marincin of depth forwards. :laugh:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It is probably a situation where Malgin was going to go on waivers. The Leafs prefer to dump a contract while Florida prefers to get something of value for Malgin. The win-win solution would be Toronto giving Florida Marchment because Marchment is currently exempt from waivers.

Florida maintains their organizational depth while being able to open up a spot in the NHL for a player they prefer over Malgin. Keep in mind, Florida just lost Hawryluk to waivers. So by placing Malgin on waivers, they would have put themselves in a position to lose two of their top 15 or so forwards in a week.

Toronto acquires Malgin without losing a contract spot. They are currently at 49/50, so a waiver claim would max them out at 50.

Dubas has a history of going after this skilled fringe forwards. Nic Pecan was his pickup last year.

I like the pickup for Toronto (meaning I don't like it!). While he is an undersized tweener, I would have liked Ottawa to take a crack at Malgin. With the availability of top minutes, I think he would have had a great chance in Ottawa.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Toronto already has a replacement for Kapanen/Kerfoot in Mikheyev who should be back in a few weeks.

This feels more like Florida wanted to unload a guy that was at odds with the coach and Toronto was offering something they wanted more than other teams’ offers.
This added depth allows the Leafs to trade a KK or Kerfoot and replace the offense with Malgin.

This is a good trade for the Leafs...nothing to lose in rolling the dice on a NHLer for an AHLer.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
1) They wouldn't play him.
2) They would lose him to waivers.
3) Sitting him still takes up cap space.

Ok but why Toronto? you made the team you are in direct competition with better, even if only slightly they are better today than Yesterday

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Florida fans were too critical of Malgin, imo.

he is still a young developing player with some upside. Toronto got the better player.

he has great patience with the puck, good playmaker, very slippery, but his size hurts him and his shot stinks. If he gets stronger and works on his shot, it wouldn’t be crazy to see him turn into a 40 point player.

he started the season on a hot streak then cooled off and couldn’t get back into the lineup

Reactions: letsgrowcactus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad