Confirmed Trade: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I'm guessing Malgin was sitting because he didn't bring the toughness Florida wanted on their 4th line.

I like this trade for Toronto and it probably means Kapanen, Kerfoot or Johnsson are getting moved.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'm guessing Malgin was sitting because he didn't bring the toughness Florida wanted on their 4th line.

I like this trade for Toronto and it probably means Kapanen, Kerfoot or Johnsson are getting moved.
It means Johnnson is out 6 months and is questionable to be ready start of 2020

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Well Johnsson's gone until next season so I doubt he goes anywhere.

Kerfoot was supposed to be on the move - at least that's what Dreger's "insiders" kept telling him - but who knows now. :dunno:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Leafs get even softer and easier to play against, awesome

Malgin isn't an NHL player either. Says a lot that he's scratched for defence turned forward every day
We shall see. Malgin appears to have ok underlying numbers and also have a very low PDO(luck) this year at .940. So maybe Dubas believes that luck can turn around and it results in more depth scoring.

And I am sure they will try him with Matthews to see if the chemistry returns that they had overseas.

Again, there is no real risk here for the Leafs. If he plays like garbage the rest of the year, they just don't offer him a contract and let him walk. If he does well, he is a RFA and they can replace a more expensive guy with a cheaper version.

And of course in saying all this, I hope he makes no difference. But in Florida he is a 27ish point guy. On Toronto, could that be pushed to a 40 point guy? I think so.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Was thinking exactly the same. Malgin is a Kapanen replacement.
Who is the D man this trade sets up as the return for Kap? It’s like Dubas is playing 3D chess. He’s steps ahead of all the other GMs.

Reactions: oilynutz

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Well Johnsson's gone until next season so I doubt he goes anywhere.

Kerfoot was supposed to be on the move - at least that's what Dreger's "insiders" kept telling him - but who knows now. :dunno:

Maybe it is just to fill Johnsson's spot then. I believe it will be a precursor to a larger move before the deadline though

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
But this didn't make them better they got worse Marchment is an AHL guy
They got a reasonable depth player. It's better than nothing. Malgin was the guy who was taking up the NHL roster spot but wasn't playing any games. That's worse than AHL guy. That's the guy you wish was in the AHL but you can't send him there.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Was thinking exactly the same. Malgin is a Kapanen replacement.
Who is the D man this trade sets up as the return for Kap? It’s like Dubas is playing 3D chess. He’s steps ahead of all the other GMs.

I could see Dudas having his eyes on a guy like Brandon Montour. Especially with reports buffalo is looking for top 6 wingers with term. Seems like a good fit

Reactions: qqaz and Luckylarry

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Minor, but good deal for Toronto. Malgin has always been solid when I’ve seen him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I don't get this for the Panthers . Malgin is an NHL player i don't think Marchment is .

This was my first thought when I saw the trade too. Malgin isn’t great, but he definitely belongs on an NHL roster imo (~30 point depth guy). Malgin fills in for Johnsson, but what exactly does Marchment do for Florida?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This was my first thought when I saw the trade too. Malgin isn’t great, but he definitely belongs on an NHL roster imo (~30 point depth guy). Malgin fills in for Johnsson, but what exactly does Marchment do for Florida?
Fill in for Hawryluk...

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Malgin fills in for Johnsson, but what exactly does Marchment do for Florida?
Almost nothing. But the alternative is absolutely nothing after losing him on waivers so almost nothing is still better. After losing Hawryluk they likely realized they need at least warm bodies back as there are teams willing to claim those guys.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
The trade helps out the Panthers with a future trade, or by being able to bring up Tippett now for the playoff push. Malgin has been pretty much nonexistent for us, and I thank the Leafs for giving us a bit more room to upgrade the team. Don’t have anything bad to say about him, just don’t expect much.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Malgin still has a lot of upside IMO. Great playmaker, quick hands, sees the ice extremely well. He had the nickname of "Denis Hockey" for a reason, dude has a lot of Johnny Gaudreau in his game. Shame that Florida didn't really use him in a more offensive role - he could light it up in Toronto if used properly.

Reactions: airbud

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I could see Dudas having his eyes on a guy like Brandon Montour. Especially with reports buffalo is looking for top 6 wingers with term. Seems like a good fit
Maybe Dubas is moving Kap to LA to beat the bid from Vegas for Martinez?

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
Those who keep on saying the Panthers needed to "maximize" the return by getting Marchment (lol) are completely missing the point. The Panthers best chance of making the playoffs is centered around beating a single team in the entire league: the Maple Leafs, the team they just dealt with.

So the only way this trade makes sense is if the Panthers are convinced that it is inconsequential; that Malgin will be a complete non-factor for the Leafs, or that Marchment will help them as much or more than Malgin would in getting a spot.

Because if Malgin somehow contributed in a victory or two that gave the Panthers that last coveted Atlantic spot, I don't think Marchment is going to feel like a great consolation prize for missing out the playoffs.

"Yeah, we missed out a chance at the Stanley Cup but at least, we got Marchment instead of some other AHLer we could have gotten" is probably not gonna cut it.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
so weird for two teams with pretty much the exact same record competing for the same playoff spot to make a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad