Confirmed Trade: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Quoting a post from Februrary 2020? Obviously Dubas' too small and skilled formula failed last year, that he recognized his mistake that he had to pivot this season. I don't know how any good GM could think Malgin was ever skilled, he just looked small. Marchment on the otherhand has found a home in Florida while Malgin is no longer in the NHL. Obvious Win for Florida and a loss to Dubas in this trade.
Malgin is with the team.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Quoting a post from Februrary 2020? Obviously Dubas' too small and skilled formula failed last year, that he recognized his mistake that he had to pivot this season. I don't know how any good GM could think Malgin was ever skilled, he just looked small. Marchment on the otherhand has found a home in Florida while Malgin is no longer in the NHL. Obvious Win for Florida and a loss to Dubas in this trade.

Mason Marchment wouldn't make the Leafs unless they had 3-4 injuries. Depth for both the teams cannot be compared.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Malgin is with the team.
Malgin has not played for the Leafs this season, nor is expected to in the playoffs. Marchment played for the Panthers this season, and is contributing in the playoffs. He is also a physical player with size whose style fits for heavier hockey that playoff hockey brings. Exactly the type of player Dubas tried to pivot to when he realized small and skilled does not win in the playoffs.
Mason Marchment wouldn't make the Leafs unless they had 3-4 injuries. Depth for both the teams cannot be compared.
He made the Florida Panthers, who had a better record this season than the Leafs. And Florida played in a real division.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
Malgin has not played for the Leafs this season, nor is expected to in the playoffs. Marchment played for the Panthers this season, and is contributing in the playoffs. He is also a physical player with size whose style fits for heavier hockey that playoff hockey brings. Exactly the type of player Dubas tried to pivot to when he realized small and skilled does not win in the playoffs.
I see those Leafboard wounds of interactif have yet to heal. feel better fam

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto

I've never seen anyone as obsessed as you are with Dubas "losing" a minor trade that doesn't even matter for the Leafs. Mason Marchment would not crack the Leafs lineup so he traded him to a team that has little depth so he can get a chance to play.

He did this with Lehtonen, Barabanov, Marchment etc.

He scored a tap in goal in front of the net while playing with Barkov. When Florida has an empty net and has to get an extra man out there, their best player is...Alexander Wennberg. That should tell you everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sundinisagod

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've never seen anyone as obsessed as you are with Dubas "losing" a minor trade that doesn't even matter for the Leafs. Mason Marchment would not crack the Leafs lineup so he traded him to a team that has little depth so he can get a chance to play.

He did this with Lehtonen, Barabanov, Marchment etc.

He scored a tap in goal in front of the net while playing with Barkov. When Florida has an empty net and has to get an extra man out there, there best player is...Alexander Wennberg. That should tell you everything.
Just to correct the record, I was brought to this thread by someone that decided to bump a post of mine from February 2020. Someone or some are sure obsessed with my opinion. I could care less if Dubas lost this trade. But he did. NHL player for a player that could not play in the NHL this year, no need for further analysis.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Mason Marchment won the trade more than anyone else -- and that might be a win for the Leafs too.

The Leafs treat their players well, and don't mind seeing players they can't use and that have little to no trade value get a fresh start and a better chance to play elsewhere. It might also help them to sign players when others see them give a break to the likes of Josh Leivo, Mikko Lehtonen, Travis Boyd, Jimmy Vesey, Alexander Barabanov and others such as Mason Marchment.

It says the Leafs will try to.use you, but if they can't they won't block your career.

The opposite of the Corrado treatment administered by another regime.

Sometimes its good business to leave some change on the table for someone else, and I certainly don't mind the Leafs doing that.

None of the players named above would have much use to the Leafs anyway. The Leafs are too deep, those players had no trade value, and they just aren't good enough to make the roster.

BTW -- I noticed that Florida played Detroit and Columbus a bunch this season. Its not a balanced schedule.

Cheers.

Enjoy the game tonight.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I was a really big Marchment fan while he was in Toronto. He is an excellent body checker. I was sad to see him go, but it was never going to happen here. I'm not sure with the way the Leafs valued him that he'd even be in any better shape than Malgin is in now as the 16th forward on the depth chart behind Engvall and Brooks and a black ace for the playoffs in Toronto.

I think he's a good NHL 4th liner. I wish he'd lose the mitts more.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017

He made the Florida Panthers, who had a better record this season than the Leafs. And Florida played in a real division.
Lol ohh yeah cause Dallas Nashville Columbus Chicago and Detroit are terrifying.

Reactions: TS Quint

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Yes, Malgin was lent to the Swiss League for the season. You are right though Malgin is not expected to play in the playoffs. The fact remains that he is with Toronto. Dubas has always had size on his team. This realization is something that you made up. One just had to look at his Jr teams and Marlie teams and then look at this, his third year in Toronto, and realize that this is a type of team that Dubas usually builds. The only thing typical thing about the way Dubas operates is that he traded a pending UFA for a pending RFA

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, Malgin was lent to the Swiss League for the season. You are right though Malgin is not expected to play in the playoffs. The fact remains that he is with Toronto. Dubas has always had size on his team. This realization is something that you made up. One just had to look at his Jr teams and Marlie teams and then look at this, his third year in Toronto, and realize that this is a type of team that Dubas usually builds. The only thing typical thing about the way Dubas operates is that he traded a pending UFA for a pending RFA
Dubas went from trying to ice a small skilled line up against Columbus last season, to overcorrecting with trying to ice a more size and grit this year. Both line ups failed in the first rd. Malgin was not a factor this season. We don't know if Marchment would have. but we know he was good enough to play for Florida in this year's playoffs and make an impact, Malgin as expected was not an option. That in itself is a win for Florida in this deal that you decided to bump a post of mine from Februrary 2020.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Both players' seasons are done. There's no point for this thread to go on, sorry folks!

Feel free to open up proposals or player value threads in the offseason/next season if you truly think they are worth talking about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad