Confirmed Trade: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
it seems to be his modus operandi
...maybe he's thinking smaller players will get squished and perhaps the leafs can get a penalty called for them for a change instead of only against them
Or he thinks he is smarter than anyone else and is trying to reinvent the wheel. Heavy hockey is a proven formula in winning cups. Small and skilled has yet to be proven. It may get you into the playoffs where regular season play is less physical but winning 4 rds in rhe playoffs when it is usually a war. Dubas’ small approach is going to be a challenge

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Or he thinks he is smarter than anyone else and is trying to reinvent the wheel. Heavy hockey is a proven formula in winning cups. Small and skilled has yet to be proven. It may get you into the playoffs where regular season play is less physical but winning 4 rds in rhe playoffs when it is usually a war. Dubas’ small approach is going to be a challenge

...maybe one day Ref's will call the playoff the same way as the regular season, but, there is a better chance i find a herd of unicorn on a yet to be discovered island

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I don’t think it’s particularly brilliant, it is completely predictable Dubas would trade for a 5’9 170 lb fwd.
It is as equally brilliant for Dubas as it is for Tallon. Obviously, you could predict the trade- easy to do when it has taken place. You didn't predict beforehand. How could you?

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
You win some (Hyman for McKegg)

You lose some (Marchment for Malgin)

Things evened themselves out in the end

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bad trade. Marchment looks like a force of a 4th liner out there and has an element that would've been very good in the current Leaf line-up. Malgin provides absolutely nothing.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Marchment would have been perfect on this Leaf team... its too bad they made this deal.. but then again who knows what opportunity he would have been given in TO and if he would have been playing like this.. sometimes trades give players a kick in the ass that they need.. and that's what seems to have happened for MM

Reactions: Steeler23

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Didn't say that please point to where i said that?

Toronto SURE didn't win it.

FLA got themselves a versatile NHL player, a style of player that the Leafs had to pay a premium to get at the TDL this year. The Leafs got themselves a Swiss league superstar!
They paid a premium for a proven top six player with that skill set. Marchment is an unproven bottom six.

That said this trade has more to do with doing a solid for marchment then an actual trade of substance. He put in his rime with the marlies and earned that respect.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
They paid a premium for a proven top six player with that skill set. Marchment is an unproven bottom six.

That said this trade has more to do with doing a solid for marchment then an actual trade of substance. He put in his rime with the marlies and earned that respect.
You can call it what you want, but Nick Foligno is on the downswing of his career and serves a role on this team that in all reality, Marchment could have done also.

That being said i agree with the bolded.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

FLA got themselves a versatile NHL player, a style of player that the Leafs had to pay a premium to get at the TDL this year. The Leafs got themselves a Swiss league superstar!

He scored 2 goals that's not a loss no matter how badly you want to spin it as one

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You can call it what you want, but Nick Foligno is on the downswing of his career and serves a role on this team that in all reality, Marchment could have done also.

That being said i agree with the bolded.

That's quite the claim for a guy who has barely over 30 career NHL games to date.

Folingo's defensive metrics are quite a bit better plus he obviously has the intangible factor of leadership. Folingo also gets trusted with more ice time.

I'm happy to see Marchment get a second chance with another team but it's doubtful he'd be in the Leafs starting lineup for the playoffs, certainly not in the top 9. Florida and the Leafs have very different lineup considerations

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Me trying to sleep with the knowledge Mason Marchment doesn't play for my team

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
What small players are on the Leafs?

Reactions: Ciao

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Bad trade. Marchment looks like a force of a 4th liner out there and has an element that would've been very good in the current Leaf line-up. Malgin provides absolutely nothing.
Yeah, he had been playing in Switzerland and didn't come back till mid month, how could he. He might get into some playoff games.

Reactions: uncleben

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto

Marchment is a marginal NHL player who would not have made the Leafs roster.

If waivers were needed to send him down he would have been waived before Boyd and Vesey -- each of whom are also more valuable and more established players.

He is not at all comparable to Foligno -- a former team captain with oodles of NHL experience.

Maybe Marchment is establishing himself now with Florida. If so, that's all well and good. All the best to him. Giving him an opportunity elsewhere may have been part of the reason for trading him. That's how the Leafs work.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What small players are on the Leafs?
Quoting a post from Februrary 2020? Obviously Dubas' too small and skilled formula failed last year, that he recognized his mistake that he had to pivot this season. I don't know how any good GM could think Malgin was ever skilled, he just looked small. Marchment on the otherhand has found a home in Florida while Malgin is no longer in the NHL. Obvious Win for Florida and a loss to Dubas in this trade.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Quoting a post from Februrary 2020? Obviously Dubas' too small and skilled formula failed last year, that he recognized his mistake that he had to pivot this season. I don't know how any good GM could think Malgin was ever skilled, he just looked small. Marchment on the otherhand has found a home in Florida while Malgin is no longer in the NHL. Obvious Win for Florida and a loss to Dubas in this trade.
Marchment still wouldnt have made the club, so, its a win for Marchment.
perhaps the Leafs were just doing him a favor, as they have for many other players that are buried with zero chance to get ice time.

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad