Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You realize by saying the team is failing to meet expectations, you truly believe this is an elite team capable of winning the cup?

You can’t blame Dubas when the stars disappear on the playoffs. By the deadline the GMs duties are done and it’s all on the players at that point.

Like @TheDoldrums said, we’ve watched this team miss the playoffs for over a decade with less complaints. At some point this team will break through and it’s entirely a mental hurdle.

Elite is a subjective term, but yes during the regular season they are a very strong team. I do not in any way think they are cup contenders at this point, Just not built for the playoffs. The sticking up for eachother and showing push-back during the season and in the playoffs however is still a concern no matter who they bring in.

Dubas is responsible for the results - regardless of who fails to show up. Saying it's all on the players is convenient and would absolve Dubas of any blame. He constructed the team. He paid the players, hired and fired the coaching staff. He sticks by this core. He signs players he things will bring an element of toughness/leadership, and he makes the call at he TDL to trade picks for someone like Foligno.

He has failed, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.

Reactions: paulhiggins

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So you're a regular season success guy and playoff apologist. Year after year
You go in hiding because all of your proclamations mean nothing every playoffs. Only excuses and stats pointing to expected goals, wins and other shyte that means nothing.
They go far this year I'll gladly eat my words whereas if the same shit continues you'll still maintain they're elite.

You're claiming Marchment is a success based on the regular season...
Just so you know Colorado and Florida are not elite teams by your standards, but the NYI are.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'll just say this: When Cam Payne played amazing in last year's playoffs, Raptors fans didn't start cursing Masai for letting him go.

Actually, in a way, it was a credit to Masai and the Raptors that they recognized something in him and even though they didn't give him a contract...it's clear that their scouting department knows how to identify talent.

I think the same thing with Marchment. Obviously in hindsight it would've been great to hold unto him. But the fact that Dubas and the Leafs scouting identified him to begin with, and spent time developing him, shows that they're a good front office that is on the right track.

No, they won't always get everything right, but there are very few teams that can identify the right undrafted or UFA players like Trevor Moore and Justin Holl and develop them into NHL assets. Kind of the same way the Raptors have been so great with undrafted/2nd round picks.

They came up against Marchment's UFA and waiver status and maybe made the wrong move, but the fact that he was in the system to begin with is awesome and shows that this is a good organization.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
NHL playoffs have never made any sense.

Tampa by the numbers played worse against MTL than we did(we both dominated them) and they won in 5.

MTL somehow beats a team like Vegas, should never happen but it does.

CBJ beat an all time powerhouse Lightning team in a sweep.

None of this makes sense.

Well...all of that except the Vegas part. The west teams, especially the Pacific teams, have been feasting on weak competition for years now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well let me say that a few posters here with the Leafs and Dubas can do no wrong attitude, constantly making excuses for this team, and arguing in every thread about how everyone else is wrong and they're right - that's unbearable. No balance with these posters - can never admit maybe, just maybe their fancy stats don't tell the whole story and can't/won't even entertain a different point of view. So who are the "dorks" again?

Hey I get it - the Leafs are on pace for 120pts with the best underlying numbers in the league, so it totes makes sense that the most active thread on the board is about a fringe player traded away years ago who's on a hot streak for a team with even less playoffs success than the leafs.

Totally reasonable this thread should be the hottest one on the board.

Reactions: Pinto

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Hey I get it - the Leafs are on pace for 120pts with the best underlying numbers in the league, so it totes makes sense that the most active thread on the board is about a fringe player traded away years ago who's on a hot streak for a team with even less playoffs success than the leafs.

I haven’t even read any of this thread but for this to be (currently) the most bumped thread with the season we are having is typical HF.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I haven’t even read any of this thread but for this to be (currently) the most bumped thread with the season we are having is typical HF.
I remember when you use to be able to see how many posts each user has in a thread.
Would it be any surprise that those weeping about the thread would also have the most posts in it?

There use to be an 'Ignore thread' feature. Wonder why they got rid of it?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I remember when you use to be able to see how many posts each user has in a thread.
Would it be any surprise that those weeping about the thread would also have the most posts in it?

There use to be an 'Ignore thread' feature. Wonder why they got rid of it?

Do you just look around in threads for things to complain about 24/7? Seems you are the one doing the weeping here
You can ignore the thread - please do

Reactions: The Podium

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Typical response with your protoge in tow.

Reactions: hotpaws

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

Well if you did you'd find that it's more about evaluation of talent overall and not just one player......which again got hijacked by the same 2 or 3 people.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well if you did you'd find that it's more about evaluation of talent overall and not just one player......which again got hijacked by the same 2 or 3 people.

yes it was about using marchment alone to prove that the GM of this elite team is bad at evaluating talent.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
yes it was about using marchment alone to prove that the GM of this elite team is bad at evaluating talent.

Many other players were mentioned - Ritchie, Foligno, Simmonds, Petan, Malgin, Hutch, Barabanov, Jumbo, Riitich, Mrazek (to be seen), Hutton, Barrie,....you just choose to ignore it

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Many other players were mentioned - Ritchie, Foligno, Simmonds, Petan, Malgin, Hutch, Barabanov, Jumbo, Riitich, Mrazek (to be seen), Hutton, Barrie,....you just choose to ignore it

interesting selection of players. looks like our GM is an idiot.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Elite is a subjective term, but yes during the regular season they are a very strong team. I do not in any way think they are cup contenders at this point, Just not built for the playoffs. The sticking up for eachother and showing push-back during the season and in the playoffs however is still a concern no matter who they bring in.

Dubas is responsible for the results - regardless of who fails to show up. Saying it's all on the players is convenient and would absolve Dubas of any blame. He constructed the team. He paid the players, hired and fired the coaching staff. He sticks by this core. He signs players he things will bring an element of toughness/leadership, and he makes the call at he TDL to trade picks for someone like Foligno.

He has failed, and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit it.
Who would have brought in the cup and done it right?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Since 2018 they have been telling us how amazing these dubas led teams are. Yet they been proven 100% wrong for 3 years now. It's honestly hilarious to see how all the dubas fanboys go into hiding as soon as the season ends. Yet they come right back the following season with even more "elite" stats and numbers.

The crazy part is that even though they have been wrong so often, they still have the audacity to act like they are the ones who have been right all along. It's so detached from reality that it borders on insanity.

Either too embarrassed to face the truth after another playoff loss (I mean there are only so many excuses) or they are off the payroll once the season ends and they get out the golf clubs.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Or would you say Dubas's evaluation of talent has been spot on? Or are you just here to complain?

Of your list below, Barabanov is performing well, Barrie had good offensive seasons with Toronto and Edmonton before shitting the bed this year, Simmonds has been fine as a league minimum signing, and Mrazek has looked great outside of his first 4 games of the season. Not to mention Malgin is still young and performing well overseas so it’s possible he’s a player as well. Hutch and Rittich as 3rd string goalies performed as well as you could expect so I don’t see the concern there either. Petan as well who was a Marlie for the majority of his stint here.

Now that we recognize his bad list is really just Ritchie and Foligno.

The good list:
Hyman
Bunting
Mikheyev
Kampf
Kase
Spezza
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl
Campbell

I may be missing a few, point is the good is really good and the bad is not that egregious. You’re mostly up in arms about replacement level players.

And that’s just at the pro level how about draft picks like Robertson, Sandin, Knies, Abruzzese, Niemela, Hirovnen, Kral, etc that are well surpassing their draft position.

Reactions: Its not your fault

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Of your list below, Barabanov is performing well, Barrie had good offensive seasons with Toronto and Edmonton before shitting the bed this year, Simmonds has been fine as a league minimum signing, and Mrazek has looked great outside of his first 4 games of the season. Not to mention Malgin is still young and performing well overseas so it’s possible he’s a player as well. Hutch and Rittich as 3rd string goalies performed as well as you could expect so I don’t see the concern there either. Petan as well who was a Marlie for the majority of his stint here.

Now that we recognize his bad list is really just Ritchie and Foligno.

The good list:
Hyman
Bunting
Mikheyev
Kampf
Kase
Spezza
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl
Campbell

I may be missing a few, point is the good is really good and the bad is not that egregious. You’re mostly up in arms about replacement level players.

And that’s just at the pro level how about draft picks like Robertson, Sandin, Knies, Abruzzese, Niemela, Hirovnen, Kral, etc that are well surpassing their draft position.

Nawwwww I know he's made some good moves but there's been some questionable or poor ones too. This thread is as long as it is because once again, the Dubas apologists go on and on about how he can do no wrong - ever. Regarding Marchment and only him however, we needed a player like that and they didn't give him much of a shot at all. Instead they go out and get Simmonds and Jumbo types and play the hell out of them regardless. It is what it is

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Since 2018 they have been telling us how amazing these dubas led teams are. Yet they been proven 100% wrong for 3 years now. It's honestly hilarious to see how all the dubas fanboys go into hiding as soon as the season ends. Yet they come right back the following season with even more "elite" stats and numbers.

The crazy part is that even though they have been wrong so often, they still have the audacity to act like they are the ones who have been right all along. It's so detached from reality that it borders on insanity.

I really do love this. You guys have been so amazingly wrong about how good this team is every year, you've had to try to retrofit all your arguments to saying regular season means liiterally nothing at all and that the only thing you were ever talking about was that you were saying they would lose in 7gms in the playoffs every year so you were right all along. You even have to pretend that they lost for the reasons you said they would lose (scoring depth, defense) even when they clearly lost for entirely different reasons (elite players not scoring).

And so in the midst of a year you guys predicted the team would literally be a bubble team life and death to make the playoffs, you whine and cry all year and claim you're right while the team sits at the top of the standings.

But hey you guys have this one last thread to enjoy yourselves in as long as Marchment's hot streak keeps up so I'll leave you guys to your fun.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nawwwww I know he's made some good moves but there's been some questionable or poor ones too. This thread is as long as it is because once again, the Dubas apologists go on and on about how he can do no wrong - ever. Regarding Marchment and only him however, we needed a player like that and they didn't give him much of a shot at all. Instead they go out and get Simmonds and Jumbo types and play the hell out of them regardless. It is what it is

Errr no, it’s mostly folks who are mad about this move in hindsight

Reactions: Dekes For Days
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: