Confirmed with Link: TOR extends Alex Kerfoot. 4 years, 3.5M AAV

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
RAPM backs that up, and adds that his impact on goals for was well below his impact on expected goals for, which I take to mean that he was better offensively than the scoring totals while he was on the ice suggest. That's also backed up by his 7.6% OIsh%, which for most top 6 players is closer to 10%

View attachment 246439

I don't exactly know what to expect with this guy, there's a lot of Bozak-like reviews from the Colorado fanbase, but it seems like he's going to be a much better player than our eyes will probably lead us to believe

"Bozak with the speed to compete defensively" seems like a good descriptor.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I would imagine the PP lines would be

Tavares
Matthews - Nylander
Rielly - Marner

Spezza
Kapanen - Johnsson
Kerfoot - Barrie​

I am praying that our new assistant coaches will take a page from the Bruins' PP and completely get rid of all those strict positions/roles.

All of Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly/Barrie can shoot, pass, create, and skate. It is silly to have them holed up in specific roles. Boston's PP was a wonder to watch - just whirling and switching and whirling and switching all positions until bam there's a guy wide open in front.

same thing with the 2nd unit, really, but I sure hope we just stack the top PP unit and play it the entire PP now.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
RAPM backs that up, and adds that his impact on goals for was well below his impact on expected goals for, which I take to mean that he was better offensively than the scoring totals while he was on the ice suggest. That's also backed up by his 7.6% OIsh%, which for most top 6 players is closer to 10%

View attachment 246439

I don't exactly know what to expect with this guy, there's a lot of Bozak-like reviews from the Colorado fanbase, but it seems like he's going to be a much better player than our eyes will probably lead us to believe

I absolutely did not like Bozak here playing top 6 mins especially with Kessel; but with the Blues he found his role and got the job done and now has a cup ring.

I am expecting Kerfoot to play his role well; at least not leak goals even if not scoring and that should be good IMO for someone his age. Also, his contract is such that can be traded down the line if some how in future we can run our center depth with following duos:

XXX-Matthews-Marner
XXX-Tavares-Bracco
Johnsson-Nylander-XXX
4th line

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Yeah I was drawing a brutal blank while thinking of a secondary net front presence who wouldn't be better placed elsewhere lol...I also left out Spezza accidentally as well but we couldn't stick him right in front and the thought of Nylander or Kerfoot in a net front role makes me shudder lol

Almost all of his goals are tips in front/wide open nets. He might be a fit there on PP2.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I absolutely did not like Bozak here playing top 6 mins especially with Kessel; but with the Blues he found his role and got the job done and now has a cup ring.

I am expecting Kerfoot to play his role well; at least not leak goals even if not scoring and that should be good IMO for someone his age. Also, his contract is such that can be traded down the line if some how in future we can run our center depth with following duos:

XXX-Matthews-Marner
XXX-Tavares-Bracco
Johnsson-Nylander-XXX
4th line
ya I see it the same, he'll be value at that contract, maybe to the point that we won't want to move him but that's a good problem to have

"Bozak with the speed to compete defensively" seems like a good descriptor.
I'm thinking he'll be viewed similarly to Gardiner in general, not beloved by the fanbase but a really good player at a cap efficient number

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I am praying that our new assistant coaches will take a page from the Bruins' PP and completely get rid of all those strict positions/roles.

All of Tavares, Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Rielly/Barrie can shoot, pass, create, and skate. It is silly to have them holed up in specific roles. Boston's PP was a wonder to watch - just whirling and switching and whirling and switching all positions until bam there's a guy wide open in front.

same thing with the 2nd unit, really, but I sure hope we just stack the top PP unit and play it the entire PP now.

Unlike our PP that was obsessed with making 2 or 3 set plays work, Boston had laundry list of set plays. One timer threats on both walls, Bergeron dangerous as hell in the slot/in front of the net, one-timer from the point, etc etc... they were so unpredictable it wasn't even funny.

Then there's Babcock's idea of running a PP: Have Marner tip-pass to Tavares or go across to Matthews on the left wall. And if it don't work, just keep on forcing it 'til it does.

Just so f***ing frustrating seeing our talent-loaded PP be so anemic.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I'm thinking he'll be viewed similarly to Gardiner in general, not beloved by the fanbase but a really good player at a cap efficient number

oh this fanbase doesn't tear apart forwards remotely as much as they do dmen.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Unlike our PP that was obsessed with making 2 or 3 set plays work, Boston had laundry list of set plays. One timer threats on both walls, Bergeron dangerous as hell in the slot/in front of the net, one-timer from the point, etc etc... they were so unpredictable it wasn't even funny.

Then there's Babcock's idea of running a PP: Have Marner tip-pass to Tavares or go across to Matthews on the left wall. And if it don't work, just keep on forcing it 'til it does.

Just so ****ing frustrating seeing our talent-loaded PP be so anemic.

the hilarious thing is that in the very last game of the year, he finally switched it up and put Matthews on the opposite wing where he proceeded to bombard the net at will. the very last game of the year. the first elimination game of the year. THAT's when he finally tries something new. it's amazing, really.

not to say that that switch would keep working forever, just that having more than one set play opens everything up so much.

the weird thing is that we've seen babcock get more and more inflexible in everything year after year - back in year 2, Matthews and Nylander would switch sides all the time on their unit to keep things interesting - and they fricken dominated on the PP as a result.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
oh this fanbase doesn't tear apart forwards remotely as much as they do dmen.
I mean more as a conceptual parallel, I think he'll be a lot better player than he gets credit for by most of the fanbase. But kudos to Dubas for his analysis and trade abilities, it seems like he's leaving Babcock without many of the not-good players that fit Babcock's biases and replacing them with good players even if they don't fit the archetype. And I would think by that same token, he won't let good players get boo'd out of town because the fanbase doesn't embrace them

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

Just so ****ing frustrating seeing our talent-loaded PP be so anemic.

Marner put up 27 powerplay points in 2:12 PP time a game in 17 / 18.

In 18 / 19 his PP time went up to 2:35 and he's also given Tavares and Matthews yet his PPP drops to 21.

Whatever we used to do worked with JVR and Bozak. Babcock coaches in a fantasy land where even if he doesn't have the players he needs, he'll pretend he has them and run plays that work for his fantasy players but don't work with the players we actually have.

In other words, our coach is not dynamic.

8816 others

Dec 3, 2012
Bowen Island, BC
Yeah that's why I said it was an interesting question haha.
Forgive me, I've only gone the majority of my life under a team policy where number retirement was literally reserved for players who had died while with the team and had contributed significantly to the team. It's only been a recent change to retire all the numbers and I fogot about the change.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Marner put up 27 powerplay points in 2:12 PP time a game in 17 / 18.

In 18 / 19 his PP time went up to 2:35 and he's also given Tavares and Matthews yet his PPP drops to 21.

Whatever we used to do worked with JVR and Bozak. Babcock coaches in a fantasy land where even if he doesn't have the players he needs, he'll pretend he has them and run plays that work for his fantasy players but don't work with the players we actually have.

In other words, our coach is not dynamic.

Babcock is the master of forcing square pegs into round holes.

We'll see if anything changes this season, but I won't hold my breath.

Reactions: SAMCRO44 and Havoc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad