Proposal: [TOR/EDM/OTT] 3 Way Trade

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I don’t think Tavares is getting a dime under 11 if he gets to pick his landing spot.

Matthews I think gets 11, Tavares 11-12, Marner around 7.

You might have noticed, Edmonton wasn’t very good this year.

If the best player in the NHL is getting 12.5, do you honestly think a team is giving Tavares 12? And, if the best player in the NHL is getting 12.5, you think Matthews gets close to that?

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
The value may be off here, please let me know. That said, I think this deal makes a lot of sense for all three teams involved IF Erik Karlsson doesn't want to resign in Ottawa. The Senators get a great haul, including a 24 year old top 4 (top pairing?) defenseman on a great contract, a 20 year old who was just drafted 4th overall, the 10th overall pick in a deep draft, and two more picks. They are unlikely to find a better return that that. Toronto gives up a young winger, but adresses a position of need with one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. Toronto is already very deep on the wings, so the loss of Kapanen won't hurt too much. Edmonton adresses a huge need for an offensive right-defenseman, and gets their 1st bonafide 1D in a decade. He would also solve their issue on the powerplay. Kapanen is a speedy winger with a great shot. A line of RNH - McDavid - Kapanen with a defensive pairing of Nurse - Karlsson would be nearly impossible to stop.

:sens Oscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd (All from Edmonton)

:leafs Jean-Gabriel Pageau

:edmontonErik Karlsson (Verbal Agreement to Re-Sign) , Kasperi Kapanen

* Assuming Erik Karlsson will not re-sign in Ottawa.
1pzinj.jpg

member 157595

If the best player in the NHL is getting 12.5, do you honestly think a team is giving Tavares 12?
McDavid was an RFA, Tavares is one of the best players to hit UFA in recent memory. I'm sure a team like Montreal would offer him >= $12M/year immediately. I'm equally sure that Tavares doesn't belong in the same pay tier as McDavid, but that's UFA for you.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
he plays 4th line minutes. how much could you expect him to produce. also he had like 5 breakaways in the series and only converted on 1 of them, so he got chances as well. sorry he can't produce like 9 in 13 mcdavid
McDavid was not a minus player like this guy and Matthews.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
In what universe is Kapanen>Puljujarvi? Even with Puljujarvi's disappointing stats they are still better then Kapanens who is also almost 2 years older. Plus Kapanen is a playoff no show. Why is Toronto even in this trade?

Kapanen has scored three timely goals in 13 playoff games playing bottom six minutes, also had to have hit the post about 15 times in round one, but sometimes I like to just spew out words that don't really mean anything too

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Replace Klef with Larsson and id do it. Value is fair whether sens fans like it or not there not getting better than a yoing top 4d, blue chip rw, top 10 pick and 2nd and 3rd rounders.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Replace Klef with Larsson and id do it. Value is fair whether sens fans like it or not there not getting better than a yoing top 4d, blue chip rw, top 10 pick and 2nd and 3rd rounders.

Serious question here, how in the world would the Oilers compete paying 5 players (McDavid, Karlsson, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Lucic) ~$44 million?

I always assumed an Oilers package would have to start with Draisaitl/Nugent-Hopkins just for cap reasons.

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
Why not just re-sign bozak and not lose kapanen? Or is he that much better than Bozak? (I honestly dont know)

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Serious question here, how in the world would the Oilers compete paying 5 players (McDavid, Karlsson, Draisaitl, Nugent-Hopkins, Lucic) ~$44 million?

I always assumed an Oilers package would have to start with Draisaitl/Nugent-Hopkins just for cap reasons.
Your assumption is correct.

I'd rather pass on Karlsson altogether and build a deeper team than trying the same crap as Lowe/Tambellini/MacTavish and now Chiarelli have tried

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

Eliminating lucic’s contract would be a start?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Lucic + 2018 first + puljujarvi + Oscar Klefbom for
Eric Karlsson(Agreed to extend)

If you're getting an extended Karlsson and dumping all of Lucic's contract, at the very least its Nurse instead of Klefbom and probably another addon from Edmonton like a second or good prospect.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Actually, they could. But with that said, if by some strange miracle Tavares signs here, Nylander will probably get traded for defense. I mean look at Edmonton

McDavid-12.5
Drai-8.5
lucic-6

So even if the Leafs go:

Matthews-10 (Eichel comparison)
Tavares- 9( Or even 10)
Marner 6-7 (Pasta comparison)
Nylander 6 (a little less than Marner)

That's still 20 million on 1 and 2 Cs (Edmonton is 21 million)
LOL @ JT signing for 9M

Wishful thinking

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
he plays 4th line minutes. how much could you expect him to produce. also he had like 5 breakaways in the series and only converted on 1 of them, so he got chances as well. sorry he can't produce like 9 in 13 mcdavid
Still hung up on that eh.

So he produces like Matthews' 5 in 13 (over 2 years)...or is it Matthews the produces like Kap? ...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Still hung up on that eh.

So he produces like Matthews' 5 in 13 (over 2 years)...or is it Matthews the produces like Kap? ...
7 in 13 (over 2 years- 5 of em goals) and matthews has more than double the production of kap...

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Kapanen has scored three timely goals in 13 playoff games playing bottom six minutes, also had to have hit the post about 15 times in round one, but sometimes I like to just spew out words that don't really mean anything too
He got 1 goal in 7 games..... He was a big minus and basically trash. Sorry that the truth hurts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad