Proposal: [TOR/EDM/OTT] 3 Way Trade

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
no he wasn't. who on the leafs wasn't a detriment?
Marner was amazing
Reilly was pretty good
Anderson was amazing in the ones they won (Only reason why they won those games) with his .952, .933 and .970.
Plekanec was good
Marleau was good
Brown was decent
Polak was good

The worst were Matthews (everyone saw), Nylander (Eberle soft in the playoffs), Zaitsev (not a NHL dman this year), Gardiner(I like him but that game 7), Kadri (cost his team bigtime and was not the shutdown guy he normally is)

JVR was ok but a nightmare in his zone.

The Leafs got dominated in all but one game and Anderson was the reason they won the other two. That D is never going to get you past the first round unless Anderson literally stands on his head every single game. Team is also a bit too soft for the playoffs.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
LOL @ JT signing for 9M

Wishful thinking
'9 or even 10".......LOL...Stupid Leafs fans thinking Tavares signs for 9!!!! DERP!!!!DERP!!!!

Stamkos was going to get 11-12 million as well....what? 8.5? Well, i guess he took a 3 million dollar discount....

And for what it's worth, i don't see Toronto signing JT, i think he stays on Long Island.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Marner was amazing
Reilly was pretty good
Anderson was amazing in the ones they won (Only reason why they won those games) with his .952, .933 and .970.
Plekanec was good
Marleau was good
Brown was decent
Polak was good

The worst were Matthews (everyone saw), Nylander (Eberle soft in the playoffs), Zaitsev (not a NHL dman this year), Gardiner(I like him but that game 7), Kadri (cost his team bigtime and was not the shutdown guy he normally is)

The Leafs got dominated in all but one game and Anderson was the reason they won the other two. That D is never going to get you past the first round unless Anderson literally stands on his head every single game. Team is also a bit too soft for the playoffs.
Rielly was the worst player on the ice for games 1 and 2 so I can't really trust your opinion anymore lol.

Zaitsev is most certainly an NHL defender... come on. You must realize how crazy you sound right?

Gardiner had a pretty solid series other than game 7. Made some very good defensive plays that stopped certain goals.

The Leafs went from last place in the league to making the playoffs the next two years with their very young core and got beaten in 6 and 7 games. Maybe they need a little more time to mature as players before you make statements like that...

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Rielly was the worst player on the ice for games 1 and 2 so I can't really trust your opinion anymore lol.

Zaitsev is most certainly an NHL defender... come on. You must realize how crazy you sound right?

Gardiner had a pretty solid series other than game 7. Made some very good defensive plays that stopped certain goals.

The Leafs went from last place in the league to making the playoffs the next two years with their very young core and got beaten in 6 and 7 games. Maybe they need a little more time to mature as players before you make statements like that...
The Leafs in general were all horrible in Games 1 and 2. None of them played well in the first two games.
Everyone knows the Leafs have defensive problems.
Losing in the first round two years in a row is not impressive at all, sorry. Both teams that beat them lost the following round as well.
But I guess focus on getting another Center, leave that D as it is.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The Leafs in general were all horrible in Games 1 and 2. None of them played well in the first two games.
Everyone knows the Leafs have defensive problems.
Losing in the first round two years in a row is not impressive at all, sorry. Both teams that beat them lost the following round as well.
But I guess focus on getting another Center, leave that D as it is.
Making the playoffs the year after finishing dead last is impressive for sure.

The Leafs played two of the better teams in the NHL in Washington (presidents trophy winner I think) and Boston (4th in the NHL I think) with an incredibly young and inexperienced team. I wasn't really thinking they would make it past but they fought hard and pushed those teams and almost won.

The Leafs defensive problems are overblown. They had like the 11th least goals against in the league, ahead of Tampa, Washinton etc etc.

I think they will upgrade the D but it won't be at the expense of players like Nylander or Kadri. The Leafs window is just starting to open, they don't need to be making any rash trades.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Making the playoffs the year after finishing dead last is impressive for sure.

The Leafs played two of the better teams in the NHL in Washington (presidents trophy winner I think) and Boston (4th in the NHL I think) with an incredibly young and inexperienced team. I wasn't really thinking they would make it past but they fought hard and pushed those teams and almost won.

The Leafs defensive problems are overblown. They had like the 11th least goals against in the league, ahead of Tampa, Washinton etc etc.

I think they will upgrade the D but it won't be at the expense of players like Nylander or Kadri. The Leafs window is just starting to open, they don't need to be making any rash trades.
The problem is there team is built to be a good regular season team. The playoffs are a different monster. Two of the top players are baby soft (Matthews and Nylander). There team is built to get destroyed in the playoffs and when they try to fight back like Kadri does look what happens.
Bruins were not that good at all, they just played one of the worst playoff teams.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
The problem is there team is built to be a good regular season team. The playoffs are a different monster. Two of the top players are baby soft (Matthews and Nylander). There team is built to get destroyed in the playoffs and when they try to fight back like Kadri does look what happens.
Bruins were not that good at all, they just played one of the worst playoff teams.
Nylander and Matthews are second year NHLers, Matthews being only 20 years old. Writing them off as soft is not really fair yet. Boston were going for head shots and elbows the entire series too. It was a really rough series.

The year before against Washinton, they didn't look 'soft' at all. I dont buy that the Leafs aren't or won't be good in the playoffs with their current core. Writing them off way too early.

Missing Kadri, the Leafs most physical forward who actually plays, also hurt a lot. I mean I get why Kadri did what he did. 4th liner head shots his buddy who is probably like a little brother to him. Saw red and went to finish his check no matter what.

I think the Leafs will add in more physicality in the positions they will have open though such as bottom 6 and bottom 4 of the defense. Just not at the expense of their young stars.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think you can just take Toronto out of it since they aren't changing any assets with Edmonton.

Edmonton makes this deal and scrambles to save their right wing in the off-season. Sekera becomes untradeable unless Jones turns into a #3/4 d-man overnight.

Bear or goes back down to the AHL until he can flat out outplay Benning in all situations.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Marner was amazing
Reilly was pretty good
Plekanec was good
Marleau was good
Brown was decent
Polak was good

Fair enough.

Reactions: hockeyguy1121

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wouldn't Ottawa want Bear instead of the 2nd or 3rd? Could add some offensive punch and is a RD so would help out a bit with losing Karlsson.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Actually, they could. But with that said, if by some strange miracle Tavares signs here, Nylander will probably get traded for defense. I mean look at Edmonton

McDavid-12.5
Drai-8.5
lucic-6

So even if the Leafs go:

Matthews-10 (Eichel comparison)
Tavares- 9( Or even 10)
Marner 6-7 (Pasta comparison)
Nylander 6 (a little less than Marner)

That's still 20 million on 1 and 2 Cs (Edmonton is 21 million)

Those seem like wishful thinking numbers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I listed comparables for the Leafs 3, why do you think they get more? Tavares? Well....who knows....

Every season the comparable's change as the cap and specific player cap hits increase, and Tavares is getting PAID. I just don't think longterm you get Marner for 6-7 either

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Every season the comparable's change as the cap and specific player cap hits increase, and Tavares is getting PAID. I just don't think longterm you get Marner for 6-7 either
I think people hope that the kids get massive contracts....anything to screw the Leafs. But Pasta signed for 7....Stamkos took a discount, players understand that to build a winner, ut takes balance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->