Proposal: [TOR/EDM/OTT] 3 Way Trade

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The value may be off here, please let me know. That said, I think this deal makes a lot of sense for all three teams involved IF Erik Karlsson doesn't want to resign in Ottawa. The Senators get a great haul, including a 24 year old top 4 (top pairing?) defenseman on a great contract, a 20 year old who was just drafted 4th overall, the 10th overall pick in a deep draft, and two more picks. They are unlikely to find a better return that that. Toronto gives up a young winger, but adresses a position of need with one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. Toronto is already very deep on the wings, so the loss of Kapanen won't hurt too much. Edmonton adresses a huge need for an offensive right-defenseman, and gets their 1st bonafide 1D in a decade. He would also solve their issue on the powerplay. Kapanen is a speedy winger with a great shot. A line of RNH - McDavid - Kapanen with a defensive pairing of Nurse - Karlsson would be nearly impossible to stop.

:sens Oscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd (All from Edmonton)

:leafs Jean-Gabriel Pageau

:edmontonErik Karlsson (Verbal Agreement to Re-Sign) , Kasperi Kapanen

* Assuming Erik Karlsson will not re-sign in Ottawa.

Value favours Edm, I'd love to add both players but I still wouldn't do it from an Edmonton point of view. We need Klefbom's contract in the top 4 long term for salary cap reasons, especially if we add a big ticket like Karlsson.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
All these Ottawa fans getting real picky. Going to be salty when he walks for nothing.

Not that they should agree to everything but alot are saying no to everything.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
In what universe is Kapanen>Puljujarvi? Even with Puljujarvi's disappointing stats they are still better then Kapanens who is also almost 2 years older. Plus Kapanen is a playoff no show. Why is Toronto even in this trade?
Kapanen has been on the 4th line his entire career. He averages less toi per game than pOol party and he played in only 13 playoff games, all on the 4th line. All of his playoffs goals have either given Toronto the lead, tie the game or given them the win. Hard to be a no show given 4th line minutes.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
All these Ottawa fans getting real picky. Going to be salty when he walks for nothing.

Personally, I don't put much stock into what is agreed to in hypothetical trade discussions on an anonymous internet message board.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Kapanen has been on the 4th line his entire career. He averages less toi per game than pOol party and he played in only 13 playoff games, all on the 4th line. All of his playoffs goals have either given Toronto the lead, tie the game or given them the win. Hard to be a no show given 4th line minutes.
Not to mention that Kap was pacing at a similar goals per game while also playing 2 seconds of PP time a game vs 45 seconds a game for Puljujarvi...

Saying Puljujarvi is 1000 times the prospect or whatever the OP said is pure insanity. I get he was drafted much higher but hasn't exactly improved his stock at all. Quite the opposite.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
I really feel like we’re going to sign Tavares, something tells me Dubas is going to make a splash in the off season. If he doesn’t come here I would make a move for Stasny or Thornton as our 3rd line Center

I’d rather keep kapanen, you can’t teach that speed and at 20 he’s finally putting it together.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I really feel like we’re going to sign Tavares, something tells me Dubas is going to make a splash in the off season. If he doesn’t come here I would make a move for Stasny or Thornton as our 3rd line Center

I’d rather keep kapanen, you can’t teach that speed and at 20 he’s finally putting it together.

If he’s truly an analytics / numbers guru, he should be quite well aware that there’s no way on God’s green earth that the Leafs can afford Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander going forward.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If he’s truly an analytics / numbers guru, he should be quite well aware that there’s no way on God’s green earth that the Leafs can afford Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander going forward.
Actually, they could. But with that said, if by some strange miracle Tavares signs here, Nylander will probably get traded for defense. I mean look at Edmonton

McDavid-12.5
Drai-8.5
lucic-6

So even if the Leafs go:

Matthews-10 (Eichel comparison)
Tavares- 9( Or even 10)
Marner 6-7 (Pasta comparison)
Nylander 6 (a little less than Marner)

That's still 20 million on 1 and 2 Cs (Edmonton is 21 million)

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
To be honest, this trade will never happen because Karlsson knows he's going to get bank going free agent, he's not signing an extension anywhere unless its an overpayment to league max dollars

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Amazing stat line.
13303-5
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
He is a dime a dozen player and no one wants him, sorry.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Actually, they could. But with that said, if by some strange miracle Tavares signs here, Nylander will probably get traded for defense.

Matthews/Tavares/Marner alone will be 30 million at very least, and that’s probably being conservative.

Ok let’s say that they probably could, but the rest of the team would be AHLers so it wouldn’t be in your best interests.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Matthews/Tavares/Marner alone will be 30 million at very least, and that’s probably being conservative.

Ok let’s say that they probably could, but the rest of the team would be AHLers so it wouldn’t be in your best interests.

Check my edit. But if you base Matthews on Eichel...10 million, base Marner on Pastarnak...6-7 and put Tavares at 9ish....that's not 30 million. And if the Leafs can't do it, How is Edmonton surviving paying 27 million to McDavid/Drai/Lucic?

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
How is EDM fitting Karlsson under the cap
Would rather go after Ristolainen as his cap hit is half and the cost would be half

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Amazing stat line.
13303-5
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
He is a dime a dozen player and no one wants him, sorry.
he plays 4th line minutes. how much could you expect him to produce. also he had like 5 breakaways in the series and only converted on 1 of them, so he got chances as well. sorry he can't produce like 9 in 13 mcdavid

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Toronto/EDM dont need to swing this hard right now,and Ottawa needs to keep their captain...If there is a deal for EK neither of these teams will be involved

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
This is what i was thinking...we downgrade from Kap to JGP just because?
thats not a downgrade at all. thats an upgrade by almost every metric. kap has been stuck playing 4th line minutes on a team that is deep with wingers. a 3rd line center is a pressing need for the leafs and jgp fills that role well. he can penalty kill like kapanen does, and produce 30-35 points.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Check my edit. But if you base Matthews on Eichel...10 million, base Marner on Pastarnak...6-7 and put Tavares at 9ish....that's not 30 million. And if the Leafs can't do it, How is Edmonton surviving paying 27 million to McDavid/Drai/Lucic?

I don’t think Tavares is getting a dime under 11 if he gets to pick his landing spot.

Matthews I think gets 11, Tavares 11-12, Marner around 7.

You might have noticed, Edmonton wasn’t very good this year.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

Karlsson for one year on one foot > most of the offers received.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->