Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D John Klingberg signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $4.15M)

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Guy really messed up the potential amount of money he could have made by holding out last year and signing with the Ducks.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You’re not getting Dallas Klingberg and Dallas had Heiskanen to shelter Klingberg.

Klingberg was and needs to be sheltered, Klinberg refusing that contract was the best thing that has happened to Dallas (if the rumour was true).

& the money isn’t the main thing. It’s all about winning the Cup for Toronto and as a non Leafs fan I absolutely love Leafs adding Reaves and Klimberg instead of actually quality, hard to play against players, easier to take advantage of them
Klingberg played without Heiskanen for many years

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Said this on our board but it’s laughable at how many people are hating this. This guy is a very short time removed from being a premier offensive defenseman joining a team that got absolutely 0 offense from its D outside of Rielly, especially in the yoffs. Only one year too. I like it. Usually when HF hates certain deals, the deals are good. This is no different.

Whatever helps you sleep.

Every single team can take advantage of Klingberg.

With Reaves and Kling Toronto is that much easier to play against in the playoffs

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I don't hate the contract, but the fit with the leafs seems weird no?

Rielly - Brody
McCabe - Klingberg
Gio - Liljegren
Timmins

I feel like they needed a better shut down physical guy to push brodie down.

Probably will trade Brodie and sign Dumba?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Leafs D is deep enough to likely shelter Klingberg defensively. He is likely going to do very well on the PP, don't think the Leafs have a right shooting point option.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
They need a shot threat from the point. Teams just collapse the slot.

He’s got a decent shot, RHD and can move the puck. I think it’s a reasonable gamble.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I hate being put in the position where I feel like I need to vehemently defend something Toronto did but I don't really get why people are so adamant that this move sucks and think Klingberg is completely washed up now. He's 30, not 38, and we're talking about one big down year here. No he's never going to be a strong two-way guy and he won't be a #1 again but his defensive play being completely atrocious rather than just mediocre to "regular" bad but not a black hole has only been the case for one year, not his entire career. The tools are still there to be a really impactful 2-3.

I think people have way too much certainty about what public analytics can indicate, go look up what the Dom L or Evolving hockey charts looked like for Lindholm and Manson at the end of 21-22, the analytics models rated Lindholm as a mediocre #4 and Manson as as a bad #6, then Lindholm had a fringe-Norris season the second he got out of there and Manson went from a punchline to an excellent 2nd pair D again for Colorado when they won the cup. I would take defensive metrics from the Dallas Eakins coached ultra tank Ducks who solely existed to feed Zegras for tiktok highlights with a 1000kg sized grain of salt.

Last edited:

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
They need a shot threat from the point. Teams just collapse the slot.

He’s got a decent shot, RHD and can move the puck. I think it’s a reasonable gamble.
Klingberg has mad skill no doubt. This is certainly worth the gamble, but he should be a replacement for Holl. Less defensive D is not what TOR needs more of. Anyways, this will be a fun experiment to watch, and I hope he does great actually. ....As long as he doesn't win them a cup. lol

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
John will be a solid dman for the Leafs as long as you don’t overplay him, which will result in less minutes for Giordano.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think this is one of the more underrated signings

I just remember what Kingberg was. He wasn't just offense, and he's not old for a Dman, so he must still have some of that. He asked for too much from Dallas, and maybe on Anaheim he just didn't fit, or was pushing too hard for offense to get noticed, or something. I wonder if his fall from grace was itself a distraction for him.

Here's a review I found from that last season in Dallas:

I recall in those playoffs against Calgary, he was very physical and mouthy, getting mixed up in everything, and was giving offense.

And of course before Heiskanen's rise, he was their 1D, and did fairly well in the role, including that bubble playoff run

Reactions: kevrondl and Jmo89

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
He said he struggled here in Anaheim pressing too hard.
1. If that was trying too hard, my God what does coasting look like?
2. I’m sure the relaxed, casual atmosphere and pressure of Toronto will help!!

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I think he has a big bounce back year offensively. I could see 50 points from Klingberg if he gets plenty of pp time.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I think he has a big bounce back year offensively. I could see 50 points from Klingberg if he gets plenty of pp time.
I'd say that's even conservative. Klingberg likely gets a ton of points even without a ton of PP time. It's just too good a situation for him considering the strength of the forward core in front of him, and the weakness of the D core around him

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Even the announcers on HNIC in the Tor/Buf game tonight were questioning this signing on air.

They said they weren’t sure why Toronto signed him.

Ledge And Dairy

Even the announcers on HNIC in the Tor/Buf game tonight were questioning this signing on air.

They said they weren’t sure why Toronto signed him.
One of Toronto's biggest problem in the playoffs last year was moving the puck up ice when Rielly wasn't on the ice. Klingberg is known to be a good at that come playoff time. Nobody is expecting defensive play from him

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
One of Toronto's biggest problem in the playoffs last year was moving the puck up ice when Rielly wasn't on the ice. Klingberg is known to be a good at that come playoff time. Nobody is expecting defensive play from him
I forget the all the color analysts. But I believe that is Gary Galley?
Clearly not a fan of klingberg

Last edited:

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He’s so bad, basically unplayable at even strength. I thought Barrie was bad defensively, but Klingberg is on another level. His offence, while good, does not make up for it.

Insane that he’s getting over $4 mil, he should be closer to a league min guy. I don’t see much difference between him and Gustafsson, who signed for $825 K.

Reactions: MMC

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
He’s so bad, basically unplayable at even strength. I thought Barrie was bad defensively, but Klingberg is on another level. His offence, while good, does not make up for it.

Insane that he’s getting over $4 mil, he should be closer to a league min guy.

Well, right now he's playing too high because the Leafs have 3 defencemen injured at the same time.

His offence is good. He does a great job keeping the line and creating goals even when he doesn't put up points. The problem for the Leafs is with 3D injured he's basically a #2 - and he can't handle that - which makes him look worse. Hopefully McCabe returns soon so the Leafs can at least push him down a spot.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I can’t believe this guy actually turned down an 8 year deal from Dallas :laugh:

He’s horrible and will either be on a vet min or out of the league after this season

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I can’t believe this guy actually turned down an 8 year deal from Dallas :laugh:

He’s horrible and will either be on a vet min or out of the league after this season

He had good defensive partners and a well functioning team defense in general around him in Dallas . He thought that was enough so he could get more than he 8x7-ish the Stars offered . Lead to the Stars letting him walk and yeah his career totally cratering.

There was a time i would defend Klingbergs defensive play ( around 2018 2019 ish ) but that time has long past. His last couple years in Dallas the teams overall good defense hid his absolut worst defensive lapses and he still was pretty bad defensively.

Spotty 2 Hotty

Special teams, special plays, special players
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
He had good defensive partners and a well functioning team defense in general around him in Dallas . He thought that was enough so he could get more than he 8x7-ish the Stars offered . Lead to the Stars letting him walk and yeah his career totally cratering.

There was a time i would defend Klingbergs defensive play ( around 2018 2019 ish ) but that time has long past. His last couple years in Dallas the teams overall good defense hid his absolut worst defensive lapses and he still was pretty bad defensively.

Between the 2017 draft and dodging the 8-year Klingberg bullet, I feel like the Stars have used up their luck for the next decade, lol. :laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well, right now he's playing too high because the Leafs have 3 defencemen injured at the same time.

His offence is good. He does a great job keeping the line and creating goals even when he doesn't put up points. The problem for the Leafs is with 3D injured he's basically a #2 - and he can't handle that - which makes him look worse. Hopefully McCabe returns soon so the Leafs can at least push him down a spot.
Long story short, he’s terrible. And was terrible before any injuries to other D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad