Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Tyson Barrie (@50%) , A. Kerfoot, '20 6th for Nazem Kadri, C. Rosen, '20 3rd - Pt.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
You guys do realize that we can just let Ceci go after next season and BOOM an 8M contract nets us only an added 0.75M to our cap?

shhhh leafs got worse here thats the way hf wants to see it

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It won’t be 8 years, think he takes 5x8. Tyler Myers just got 6 mill and Barrie is way better.
if it's 5 years, I'd be okay with that.

With Rielly, Dermott, Barrie long term (assuming he extends), if one of Sandin or Liljegren make the jump, it's a solid defense locked up for quite some time.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Barrie just guaranteed the leafs over 60 points :clap: Guaranteed that. He has always gone UP on his numbers. Last season 59 and now he plays with the matthews tavvy, marner, nylander etc.... woah mayne. That's that high scoring games comin up sire and sirettes!!!

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
You guys do realize that we can just let Ceci go after next season and BOOM an 8M contract nets us only an added 0.75M to our cap?

That's all and well, it works out fine in that regard. Just saying dont expect some sweetheart 6m deal with him. I think Barrie will thrive in Toronto for sure. It was a good hockey trade

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Anyone else notice that Kadri is now a top 2 centre and Barrie is a 1 dimensional player about to go to UFA. All in the span of 2 hours?
Yup but that is largely the same usual suspects who are in every leaf thread spewing BS.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Plenty of other RHD options available. It isn't Barrie vs nothing. It's Barrie vs his replacement. Pietrangelo, Schultz, Spurgeon, Green, Vatanen, Tanev, Hamonic etc. Are all scheduled to become UFAs July 1st, 2020 and the Leafs will have about 20 million in cap space.
Sure, but then a rental becomes an actual rental.

It'll be interesting to see what goes down. Leafs will need to sign a lot of defensemen starting next season

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018
I guess I can understand this from a Colorado point of view, they get a 2C or close enough to it and some toughness. However, I just don't get this from Toronto's perspective. Barrie basically replaces Gardiner, which is nice and Kerfoot is a decent enough player, but it made your two biggest weaknesses, team defense and team toughness, even worse.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I just don’t understand this deal from the leafs perspective:

-Needed defense - they got an offensively minded defensive liability that never starts in his own zone.

-Needs cheap contracts - they got rid of kadri’s 3 yr sweetheart contract for a guy that’s a UFA next year and wants $8m+. Whoever gives that will deeply regret it.

-Needs to get tougher to get past Boston - they trade Kadri (their toughest forward) for 2 5-10 guys that are soft and not dependable defensively.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
What I don’t get is why Dubas decided they needed another offensive guy? Why not just keep Gardiner. The 50% retain must have played a huge role I guess.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Anyone else notice that Kadri is now a top 2 centre and Barrie is a 1 dimensional player about to go to UFA. All in the span of 2 hours?

I don't think anyone is saying he's 1 dimensional. He's an offensive dynamo. However he's not exactly a defensive stalwart.

Has he had some serious mental lapses on the defensive end of the puck? Yes.
Have they become few and far between over the last year? Yes.
Will the pressure of being on a brand new team and heavier media presence bring those bad habits back out? I hope not.

Reactions: Weiss1604

LastOne2100

Jan 2, 2017
The bolded is the one reason why this deal might look bad for Toronto. I'm not sure exactly how they will manage to retain Muzzin(4M) and Barrie (2.75M) when they will likely be making between 6-8M each next season. Letting Ceci walk would open up 4.5M and cap increase probably lets them keep one of the two, unless they decide to move Nylander to make room.

Yes, I completely agree and am very worried. There was a time we could point to bad contracts that we could get rid of (Zaitsev, Marleau, Brown) as our saving grace, but at this point, there's really no dead weight left on our roster aside from possibly, but not definitely, Cody Ceci. All of our D are currently on team friendly contracts, including Reilly, Dermott, Muzzin, and Barrie. Even if Sandin and Liljegren are ready to play you're still losing at least 2/4 of our current top 4 D next year.

Frankly, without a significant cap change as part of the next CBA, I think the only way this remains possible is to move one of the big 10+ million dollar contracts, not Nylander. $33 million in 3 players, no matter how good they are, just doesn't seem like it leaves you enough to build a championship roster, which typically require both elite talent and depth.

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Leaf fans have hyped up Kadri as a 2C for years like that

So many trade discussion threads on a potential Barrie trade to Toronto had Leafs fans saying they didn't want him because it would be a rental and he isn't more than average defensively

These aren't new. That's the victim complex talking

Reactions: Weiss1604

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
This is probably not over. The Leafs now have 11M in cap space, assuming Marner takes 10-11.5M (somewhere in there), it leaves nothing for Kerfoot who's likely due for a raise (3.5-4.5M AAV).

My guess is Kerfoot gets flipped elsewhere.

(Or not signed until the season starts because of the Horton LTIR).

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
The leafs get rid of their (third) best centre signed to a bargain deal for 3 years and get another right-shot offensive (scored 59 points) defencemen, retained at 50% his cap hit for an AAV for Toronto of 2.275 million who is going to want a big payday after this season and a 24 C/W who scored 42 points last season. What could go wrong?
Fixed that original post to make it accurate.

And yes, yes they did :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad