Confirmed with Link: (TOR/COL) Leafs Acquire Colin Smith + 4th Round Pick in 2016 for Shawn Matthias

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
if nothing else White sounds like a good AHL center so even if he doesn't make it he might have some value helping our AHL wingers develop

he's probably just trade filler but looking at this stats in junior and ahl it seems he does improves but takes more time than most, so maybe they see him as an outside chance to be a late bloomer

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
smith gives the marlies a center to fill in for the callups too. nice.

solid return.

indicates we should be able to get some 2nds and 3rds from the better performers.
Wouldn't surprise me if he was the call-up so the Marlies can stay together.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Collin Smith isn't that great of a prospect.. And is another small player.

He has about 34pts I think in the AHL on a bad team, don't really know much about him.

But a him + a 4th from Colorado is a pretty good hual for a guy that doesn't have much value on our team.

I mean, you don't know much about him, yet he isn't that great of a prospect.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Can't complain about the return. I think Colorado will like him as an addition.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
if nothing else Whitesounds like a good AHL center so even if he doesn't make it he might have some value helping our AHL wingers develop

he's probably just trade filler but looking at this stats in junior and ahl it seems he does improves but takes more time than most, so maybe they see him as an outside chance to be a late bloomer

Who?

I doubt he becomes anything.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
we need to get at least two more picks before the lottery because we don't want the ping pong balls floating around with 13 picks in our pocket. (jinx)

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Colin Smith is a little on the small side 5' 10", Shawn Matthias 6' 4" we are getting smaller but Smith appears to be a good AHL player and a center that can play in that League.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The 2nd would be 2017, IIRC.
Correct, if the Leafs end up with a 2nd, it'll be 2017.

Doubt it happens though.

Sportsnet said:
-- If Pittsburgh qualifies for the 2016 post-season, Toronto will receive the Penguins' 2016 first-round draft pick; and the Penguins will receive Toronto’s 2016 second-round selection. The second-round pick would be the one Toronto originally acquired from Pittsburgh for Daniel Winnik earlier this year.

-- Should Pittsburgh miss the 2016 playoffs, Toronto will INSTEAD receive the Penguins’ 2017 first-round pick; with Pittsburgh getting Toronto’s 2017 second-round selection in return.

-- If the Penguins were to miss the post-season the next two yearse], Toronto would receive Pittsburgh’s 2017 second-round draft pick and Pittsburgh would not receive a draft pick.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Wouldn't surprise me if he was the call-up so the Marlies can stay together.

doesn't really make sense. he's not older or better than them.

and with Arco gone they need centers. seems clearly a get to fill that hole on the marlies.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
We actually got a somewhat decent pick and a prospect for this rental scrublette? Nothing trade but hey it's something to talk about lol. Either way Matthias was gone so to get an extra pick is always nice.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
I don't get the correlation or why'd you would bring him up.. In this thread.?

Well, when a lot of naysayers I talked to didn't think that the Leafs would get a 6th rounder for Matthias, yet he lands a low level prospect AND a 4th, some perspective on player value here needs to be reassessed, methinks. ;)

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I feel more comfortable about Grabner bringing back a 2nd rounder now (even if its 2017)

OvenMittz*

I mean, you don't know much about him, yet he isn't that great of a prospect.

Drafted 7th round. Numbers aren't that great.

By not knowing much about him I'm obviously saying I don't know what else he can bring to the table since numbers don't tell the whole story.

But no.. He doesn't look that great. He seems ok but nothing special.

Unless you've seen something I didnt that you'd like to share for the rest of the class.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
The 2nd would be 2017, IIRC.

The Leafs currently have the penguins 2nd from the Winnik deal. If the Pens make the playoffs, they get the penguins first but send their second back.

If the pens don't make the playoffs, the Leafs keep the Penguins second.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
doesn't really make sense. he's not older or better than them.

and with Arco gone they need centers. seems clearly a get to fill that hole on the marlies.
My thought is he'll replace Arco, whether that is with the Marlies or Leafs is the question.

It's not a matter of being better IMO, I don't see him as a long-term option. He's just filler.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Colin Smith was just thrown in so that Colorado could take on Shawns contract. They where at the 50-contract limit. Doubt he is kept after this season.

OvenMittz*

Well, when a lot of naysayers I talked to didn't think that the Leafs would get a 6th rounder for Matthias, yet he lands a low level prospect AND a 4th, some perspective on player value here needs to be reassessed, methinks. ;)

But you said Kadri haters.... Why would they be a Kadri hater on a discussion about Matthias?.

Is everyone who doesn't agree with you on anything considered a Kadri hater?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
smith did score a sick OT winner against the marlies recently. made Loov look silly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad