Confirmed Trade: [TOR/COL] Calle Rosen for Michael Hutchinson

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
This is pretty underwhelming, but the hope is that he never actually has to play a game before being waived when Gru is healthy. I guess you don’t want to spend much on that type of player.

Reactions: MarkT

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I’m in the small minority I think, but I still think Hutch is an NHL-level backup. He had a couple of bad games where he was clearly part of the problem, but other than that I think his numbers had as much to do with the team as with him, plus he got into an awful place in terms of the media/fans/blame.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he puts up some solid numbers in Colorado.

I mean I also wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up riding off quietly into the night, but he’s been treated like garbage by Toronto fans and media and I think a lot of it is circumstance/ the team / the system.

We’ll see.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Makes sense from Toronto's POV.

Rosen is better than Marincin comfortably and can play the right side if need be. He'll replace Sandin as the Marlies' #1D in the mean time but its good injury insurance.

Hutchinson is an ECHL goalie. Glad he won't be taking minutes away from Woll/Kaskisuo in the AHL.
Idk about that. Rosen was a turnover machine and he only played 8 games. Pretty much had to be scratched. Def did not see what leaf fans saw.

Reactions: Morrison

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Not that it's a game changing trade or anything, but I am SHOCKED we got anything for Hutch. My gosh... Rosen is decent, young and has upside still. Why would they do this?

They would clearly be better off trading for our Zamboni driver...

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Rosen was buried, Avs needed AHL depth goaltending. Rosen probably has higher value in a vacuum, but negotiating for the small delta is probably not worth the bandwidth for Joe at this point, with a move necessary for that 3rd goalie, but additional opportunities more demanding of his attention. Fine with it.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Rosen was buried, Avs needed AHL depth goaltending. Rosen probably has higher value in a vacuum, but negotiating for the small delta is probably not worth the bandwidth for Joe at this point, with a move necessary for that 3rd goalie, but additional opportunities more demanding of his attention. Fine with it.
Hutch is clearly not even a 3rd string goalie... he literally had the worst save % in the entire league this year. Now had you traded for our Zamboni driver...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Hutch is clearly not even a 3rd string goalie... he literally had the worst save % in the entire league this year. Now had you traded for our Zamboni driver...
While I doubt Hutch can be an NHL goaltender in the long run, I'm willing to give him a chance behind the Avs defense. It's not the best in the league but miles ahead of Toronto.

Like someone else said already, it probably means Grubauer is not too far out. Just need Hutch to be the backup and maybe take one b2b. I can give him that.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
While I doubt Hutch can be an NHL goaltender in the long run, I'm willing to give him a chance behind the Avs defense. It's not the best in the league but miles ahead of Toronto.

Like someone else said already, it probably means Grubauer is not too far out. Just need Hutch to be the backup and maybe take one b2b. I can give him that.
You haven't seen Hutch this year I'm guessing... you would literally be better off taping up a cardboard cutout of Michael Hutchison, it would play better.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You haven't seen Hutch this year I'm guessing... you would literally be better off taping up a cardboard cutout of Michael Hutchison, it would play better.

Ideally, he literally never has to face a single shot for us at the NHL level. He’s insurance, so the primary concern was cost. This cost was pretty low. It’s not who I would have gone with, but whatever.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Ideally, he literally never has to face a single shot for us at the NHL level. He’s insurance, so the primary concern was cost. This cost was pretty low. It’s not who I would have gone with, but whatever.
Hopefully he never sees the net... better off playing your Zamboni driver, seems to be a thing these days.

Reactions: Morrison

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Hutchinson has 0 value, so gaining back Rosen here is a free asset IMO. He is better than Marincin

Better than Marincin means absolutely nothing, there are probably negative assets which are better than Marincin.

I would not be shocked if Hutchinson recovers behind the Avs defence, but this trade looks more like a below average backup for a below average #7 D-man, who cares....

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Better than Marincin means absolutely nothing, there are probably negative assets which are better than Marincin.

I would not be shocked if Hutchinson recovers behind the Avs defence, but this trade looks more like a below average backup for a below average #7 D-man, who cares....
Better than Marincin actually means a lot considering we have had to play Marincin quite a bit this year... and now maybe we don't. In a straight-up trade for literally the worst goalie in the league... its a small win.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Has any goalie not named Andersen looked good for the Leafs this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad