Proposal: Tor-Chi

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Leafs just got an influx of RD to the Marlies. Obviously he's better than most of these guys *All but Liljegren* but we already have:

Liljegren
Hollowell
Duszak
Rasanen
Lindgren (Liiga finals, may come over)

in addition to vets like:

Loverde
Corrado
Olesky
Subban

C depth is a bigger need than RD at the moment behind the big three.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Looks like Toronto will be hitting the golf course starting tomorrow. End of 1st Boston 2 Toronto 0

Mitchell is projected to be Chicago's future blue line blue chip player.

I'd say pass.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Pretty sure Toronto laughs at this.

Can a leafs fan comment on why Kadri is falling out of favor? I’ve seen a couple of threads now that suggest they are looking to deal him out of town

Also what would be a reasonable asking price?

He's absolutely f***ed the team in back to back playoffs, f*** him as far as I'm concerned, guys dead to me.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
If the Leafs are shipping out a forward after another playoff disappointment, it's the $7m winger with a goal and 2 assists in 7 games... not the $4.5m centre who got suspended for standing up for his teammates.

Reactions: OTC

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Mitchell is certainly promising but I don't think he lands Kadri. I think Kadri is somehow getting underrated on these boards now.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
To :hawks
C Nazem Kadri

To :leafs
D Ian Mitchell (Rights)

Lots of speculation that Kadri could be moving out of Tor in offseason especially with some of the cap issues and the past two years playoff meltdowns. Hawks could use an upgrade at #3C to slot alongside Saad and hopefully get more consistency from 3rd line

I suspect AA will be dealt in offseason for futures as Hawks continue to look at getting younger lineup overall

Leafs would get back a good RHD prospect who is going back to NCAA for his junior year and likely will be jumping to NHL for start of 2020-2021 season

Both teams are dealing from area's of depth they can afford to trade from. With Leafs its NHL C depth with Hawks its RHD prospect depth

Thoughts?

I’m as upset about losing as the next Leafs fan but I’m not sure I would call this a “playoff meltdown” The Leafs went seven games against a higher seeded Bruins team and lost due to some questionable coaching decisions and a less than solid performance from Andersen(and I’m being generous on both those fronts) The teams were actually closer than the score board indicated.

I don’t think the Leafs are looking to deal Kadri. He’s not even that expensive for a top end third line center these days and our forward depth was actually somewhat exposed during his suspension. Our second and third lines were both questionable when we had to shift Nylander from the wing to center. With Nylander paired with Matthews or Kadri, the Leafs might have advanced to the second round.

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Pretty sure Toronto laughs at this.

Can a leafs fan comment on why Kadri is falling out of favor? I’ve seen a couple of threads now that suggest they are looking to deal him out of town

Also what would be a reasonable asking price?

Pretty easy answer, the Leafs need to shed salary with a lot of contracts coming up this summer.

Reactions: Taylorst

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
If the Leafs are shipping out a forward after another playoff disappointment, it's the $7m winger with a goal and 2 assists in 7 games... not the $4.5m centre who got suspended for standing up for his teammates.
He was suspended for retaliating like a moron. Rose-colored glasses much?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Pretty easy answer, the Leafs need to shed salary with a lot of contracts coming up this summer.
Gardiner Hainsey brown being replaced with sub 1m players covers Matthews raise from 3.775 cap hold to 11.6, Horton on prior and natural cap increase covers marners raise. Is there a pinch point? Yeah, but it’s far from the dire issue most make it up to be

Torontoborn

Jan 9, 2019
Gardiner Hainsey brown being replaced with sub 1m players covers Matthews raise from 3.775 cap hold to 11.6, Horton on prior and natural cap increase covers marners raise. Is there a pinch point? Yeah, but it’s far from the dire issue most make it up to be

I agree it's not a dire issue but at the same time can adding 2 sub 1m dollar defenseman make this team better? Are you comfortable with a top 4 as Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott and Zaitsev? I think getting rid of Kadri can help us on D.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

Lol....go over to capfriendly and plug in some (real) numbers for your 3 RFA forwards. Put 3.75 each for Kapanen/Johnsson and 10 for Marner and you are at a cap hit of 92 million and only 5 D. Now realize those 3 numbers are highly optimistic and look at your GM's history in negotiating (with Nylander in particular) and you are probably light 500K each on the first 2 and a million on Marner. What argument are you going to make that Marner should not be paid the 11.6 Mathews is getting when he has out produced Mathews the last 2 seasons AND last 2 playoffs by a pretty decent margin?

Reactions: Taylorst and OTC

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Lol....go over to capfriendly and plug in some (real) numbers for your 3 RFA forwards. Put 3.75 each for Kapanen/Johnsson and 10 for Marner and you are at a cap hit of 92 million and only 5 D. Now realize those 3 numbers are highly optimistic and look at your GM's history in negotiating (with Nylander in particular) and you are probably light 500K each on the first 2 and a million on Marner. What argument are you going to make that Marner should not be paid the 11.6 Mathews is getting when he has out produced Mathews the last 2 seasons AND last 2 playoffs by a pretty decent margin?

Well said. This was Toronto's year to win the cup with throwing all their money eggs into the basket.

The fans in Toronto should realize the entire purpose of the salary cap is to create parity.

Now comes the hard decision who stays and who gets what in pay.

Consider resigning their free agents as july1st shopping, they will be looking at cheap 1 year rentals to fill the void.

Welcome to cap hell,

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I've stayed away from the trade board for quite a while, after pooping into 3 Leafs related threads, clearly i didn't stay away long enough.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Wouldn't be Kadri for peanuts, that is bad cap management.

What people need to realize is a few th8ngs kadri is not 22 yrs old, he is a 3rd line center who has issues and it's notm1 isolated incident it's a recurring theme with kadri , that has cost this team.

The leafs also have a well known salary cap problem coming their way with the contracts to resign .

Kadri IMO won't fetch the leafs much other than cap relief.

Take it from a Chicago fan , GMs bent Stan over and plundered .
Why because Chicago was always in cap hell and it cost them great prospects or high draft picks for 2 month rentals , just to win a cup or be dominant.

Reactions: Snowman

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What people need to realize is a few th8ngs kadri is not 22 yrs old, he is a 3rd line center who has issues and it's notm1 isolated incident it's a recurring theme with kadri , that has cost this team.

The leafs also have a well known salary cap problem coming their way with the contracts to resign .

Kadri IMO won't fetch the leafs much other than cap relief.

Take it from a Chicago fan , GMs bent Stan over and plundered .
Why because Chicago was always in cap hell and it cost them great prospects or high draft picks for 2 month rentals , just to win a cup or be dominant.

I am very familiar with Chicago, they're my #2 team.

Kadri is a #2C that is behind 2 better centres. Even with bad wingers and bad shooting %, he still nearly put up 50 pts. Centres also command a premium in this league.

If he doesn't fetch an asset then the Leafs will keep him as $4.5M for what he provides is very reasonable. Another player would go in his place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad