Proposal: [TOR - CGY] - Hanifin, Dube for Nylander, Liljegren

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It's like you didn't even read your own link lol.
I read it. It says they are leaning towards not re-signing. Unless it's a contract play for more money, you wouldn't leak something like that publicly. Last year you lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Toffoli wanted out, and has since been traded. Hanfin is waiting for a trade. Now it leaks that Backlund and Lindholm are looking for the exit. You don't keep players who don't want to be there.

Ledge And Dairy

I read it. It says they are leaning towards not re-signing. Unless it's a contract play for more money, you wouldn't leak something like that publicly. Last year you lost Gaudreau and Tkachuk. Toffoli wanted out, and has since been traded. Hanfin is waiting for a trade. Now it leaks that Backlund and Lindholm are looking for the exit. You don't keep players who don't want to be there.
So you read the first paragraph and then tabbed back here, congrats.

You didn't even get to the actual tweet where it says "general league speculation is that he (Lindholm) is leaning towards not re-signing w/ CGY." That is A) not a leak, it's an opinion. And B) not recent news as that was posted 18 days ago.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
So you read the first paragraph and then tabbed back here, congrats.

You didn't even get to the actual tweet where it says "general league speculation is that he (Lindholm) is leaning towards not re-signing w/ CGY." That is A) not a leak, it's an opinion. And B) not recent news as that was posted 18 days ago.
I guess you're right, they will be re-signing in CGY then.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Dube is underrated in the flames system of young talent suppression.
He is worth keeping around with an opportunity in the top 6 this season.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Hanifin requested a trade to a U.S. team and he has an 8-team NTC list so I think it’s unlikely he goes to a Canadian team. There’s always a chance but it’s low.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Are they really that far apart though? Even when Weegar's offense took a huge dip while he was getting used to his new team (10 points in the first 40 games), he was still top of the league defensively. His offense in the 2nd half of the season was more than double that of the first half though (21 points in final 41 games for a 42 point pace) and he picked up even more in the final 20 games where he paced over 50 points. I would not be shocked at all if his offense goes back to normal next year and he still keeps up the excellent defensive play
When Towes is at his very best he’s on Par with Slavin when Weegar at his best he’s not that good

Ledge And Dairy

I'll go with what the insiders are saying.
And the insiders are all saying they are negotiating, nothing more, nothing less

When Towes is at his very best he’s on Par with Slavin when Weegar at his best he’s not that good
Slavin is a top 10 defenseman in the league. Toews is good but he's not that good, reminder that he plays with Makar eho is a top 3 defenseman in the league, if not the best

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
And the insiders are all saying they are negotiating, nothing more, nothing less

Slavin is a top 10 defenseman in the league. Toews is good but he's not that good, reminder that he plays with Makar eho is a top 3 defenseman in the league, if not the best
I know Slavin is that good but he’s that good because he’s so consistent. I do think Towes in his playoff run was as good as Slavin and during that regular season aswell. Yes Makar is great but those 2 compliment eachother perfectly. Either case Weegar is very good. Easily a top 60 dman. I’d say on par with Jacob Trouba

Ledge And Dairy

I know Slavin is that good but he’s that good because he’s so consistent. I do think Towes in his playoff run was as good as Slavin and during that regular season aswell. Yes Makar is great but those 2 compliment eachother perfectly. Either case Weegar is very good. Easily a top 60 dman. I’d say on par with Jacob Trouba
Lmao Jacob Trouba doesn't hold a candle to Weegar. Trouba is not bad by any means, he's simply average. Not great offensively, not great defensively. What he offers is his size and physicality, he's more in line with Ryan Graves or Jamie Oleksiak

Reactions: Nanuuk

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Lmao Jacob Trouba doesn't hold a candle to Weegar. Trouba is not bad by any means, he's simply average. Not great offensively, not great defensively. What he offers is his size and physicality, he's more in line with Ryan Graves or Jamie Oleksiak
Well Jacob Trouba in my eyes is great defensively and physically he is top 10 of his position. Similar to Morgan Rielly in terms of on ice value imo. Not a great number 1 but excellent number 2.

I’ll say Pesce, Brodin, Trouba, Weegar are 4 players of equal talent.

Ledge And Dairy

Well Jacob Trouba in my eyes is great defensively and physically he is top 10 of his position. Similar to Morgan Rielly in terms of on ice value imo. Not a great number 1 but excellent number 2.

I’ll say Pesce, Brodin, Trouba, Weegar are 4 players of equal talent.
Yeah if I had to rank those 4 I would put Weegar and Brodin at the top, Weegar has the offensive advantage though so definitely edge to him (top like 20-35 defensemen). Then Pesce like 15-20 spots back and then Trouba somewhere as you said in the top 50-60 range of defensemen. In terms of skill Trouba isn't even the 2nd best defenseman on his own team, I would rank all 3 of Fox, Miller, and Lindgren above him. Trouba is captain material, he's a good team leader which I think is very important but if we are just talking skill he is a #4 on a good d-core like Tanev, Carlo, or Cernak, the aforementioned Pesce, Brodie, etc. A guy who's primary role is killing penalties and shutting down the opposition. You can expect some offense from him but not a lot.

If Weegar returns to being a 50 point defenseman (like he was pacing at the end of the year) while also staying elite defensively then there is not a single person who would ever take Trouba over him

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah if I had to rank those 4 I would put Weegar and Brodin at the top, Weegar has the offensive advantage though so definitely edge to him (top like 20-35 defensemen). Then Pesce like 15-20 spots back and then Trouba somewhere as you said in the top 50-60 range of defensemen. In terms of skill Trouba isn't even the 2nd best defenseman on his own team, I would rank all 3 of Fox, Miller, and Lindgren above him. Trouba is captain material, he's a good team leader which I think is very important but if we are just talking skill he is a #4 on a good d-core like Tanev, Carlo, or Cernak, the aforementioned Pesce, Brodie, etc. A guy who's primary role is killing penalties and shutting down the opposition. You can expect some offense from him but not a lot.

If Weegar returns to being a 50 point defenseman (like he was pacing at the end of the year) while also staying elite defensively then there is not a single person who would ever take Trouba over him
Nazim Kadri would take Trouba over Weegar. Just so he could stop getting ran over by him every year. I haven't seen a player so thoroughly dominated physically as Kadri is by Trouba since Regehr and Hemsky played.

You're overrating Weegar a bit. You like Jfresh cards a bit too much. Weegar is prone to the big mistake. He makes quite a few of them. Excellent possession guy, but those big gaffs are costly. He's a solid #2. He's not better than Toews. Maybe in terms of possession but you never see Toews make a big mistake like Weegar does all the time. I'd say he was our best defenseman the last third of the season but was probably #4/5 the first 2 thirds of it.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

I’d take Trouba over the guys you mentioned and if I had the opportunity to add any of Brodin, Pesce, Weager or Trouba to my team ( leafs ) I’d chooses Trouba because I believe he’d compliment Rielly the most on the top line. I’d say calling Miller and Lindgren better is kinda a joke.

Ledge And Dairy

Nazim Kadri would take Trouba over Weegar. Just so he could stop getting ran over by him every year. I haven't seen a player so thoroughly dominated physically as Kadri is by Trouba since Regehr and Hemsky played.

You're overrating Weegar a bit. You like Jfresh cards a bit too much. Weegar is prone to the big mistake. He makes quite a few of them. Excellent possession guy, but those big gaffs are costly. He's a solid #2. He's not better than Toews. Maybe in terms of possession but you never see Toews make a big mistake like Weegar does all the time. I'd say he was our best defenseman the last third of the season but was probably #4/5 the first 2 thirds of it.
I really should have clarified that Toews is better but the gap between to 2 is not large at all. Due to hockey pools and the Bennett trade, as well as being a Bolts fan I've watched quite a bit of Florida games over the past few years and Weegar is very good. The Weegar we got to start this season is not the norm, the Weegar we got for the last 30 games or so is more in line with the norm. He is a top end #2 like how prime Ekholm, Seabrook, or Kronwall were as well. Devon Toews is also falls into that category.

You are right that he is prone to huge blunders here and there but 99% of the time he is one of the most reliable defensemen in the league.

I’d take Trouba over the guys you mentioned and if I had the opportunity to add any of Brodin, Pesce, Weager or Trouba to my team ( leafs ) I’d chooses Trouba because I believe he’d compliment Rielly the most on the top line. I’d say calling Miller and Lindgren better is kinda a joke.
You are welcome to your own opinion on who the best defense are on New Yorks blue line but I'm confident any Rangers fan would agree with me. And no, outside of team leadership all 3 of those players would compliment Rielly better than Trouba.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Love it when Flames fans who haven't watched a single minute of Weegar as a Panther try to convince other people how good he was. Epic.

He was the best defender on the Panthers. Show me something that proves otherwise.

I bet more people in Alberta watch the Panthers in the playoffs than people in Florida.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
He was the best defender on the Panthers. Show me something that proves otherwise.

I bet more people in Alberta watch the Panthers in the playoffs than people in Florida.

He was good in the regular season but I still wouldn't have given him an eight year deal that takes him to 38, that's insane. He is a complimentary player.

But playoffs? He was way over his head as a top pairing guy. Awful turnovers and any offense the guy has goes away when things get tight. He probably has nightmares about Point undressing him regularly. Try to find a Panthers fan who though he was good in postseason, good luck.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
He was good in the regular season but I still wouldn't have given him an eight year deal that takes him to 38, that's insane. He is a complimentary player.

But playoffs? He was way over his head as a top pairing guy. Awful turnovers and any offense the guy has goes away when things get tight. He probably has nightmares about Point undressing him regularly. Try to find a Panthers fan who though he was good in postseason, good luck.
He was 1000 times better than Ekblad in the playoffs and a top 3 possession player on the Panthers during his last season there in the playoffs.

His last year is he will be 36 for half the season before turning 37.

He is 29 right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad