Proposal: [TOR - CGY] - Hanifin, Dube for Nylander, Liljegren

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Lol he's just as good as Devon Toews, I doubt you would say he is overpaid at 6.25M. Weegar is on an excellent contract that will become average to a bit overpaid by the time it ends.

Also what year was he "average" in your opinion
Hes had a history of excellent to average play in Florida. His playoffs before being traded to Calgary were not good at all. To be fair though so far in Calgary he's been a top pair defender. Guess we will see but with the cap also rising he'd have to really fall off hard to not be worth his cap hit.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Lol he's just as good as Devon Toews, I doubt you would say he is overpaid at 6.25M. Weegar is on an excellent contract that will become average to a bit overpaid by the time it ends.

He was average the first 50 games last season. Then our best defenseman the last 32. The contract isn't at all bad though. A #2 defenseman for under 7 is pretty good value. Especially since you can use him on both sides of special teams and against top 6 opposition.

That said, I think we should be trading him once the cap goes up. I want us moving full 25 and under.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The trade seems fair. Can the Flames afford 10+ per for Nylander?

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

Man no he isn’t

Devon Towes is absolutely elite

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I would think Weegar and Andersson would be the guys Toronto wants because those are the guys I want on Vancouver.

Hanafin is ok, but probably not the centrepiece of a Nylander deal.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
CGY needs to trade Hanfin, Lindholm, Backlund. In addition they have expiring contracts (1 year left) in Zadorov and Tanev. What a mess.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There was a report recently that Hanifin wanted to play in the US, so it seems a bit shortsighted to make him the centerpiece of a deal involving Nylander
Elliotte Friedman thinks so, but we are not sure whether Hanifin thinks the same thing.

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
CGY needs to trade Hanfin, Lindholm, Backlund. In addition they have expiring contracts (1 year left) in Zadorov and Tanev. What a mess.
They all have 1 year remaining? Hanifin only one wanting to be moved at the moment from rumours around Calgary.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022

The last two playoff runs with the Panthers Weegar was their worst defender. Mind blowingly bad turnovers at the worst moments and provides nothing offensively. His contract is ok now but three years too long, you don't give complimentary players deals that take them to 38.
Was a beast in their SC run. Weegar turns into a pumpkin in the playoffs, nobody would take him over Toews.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Lindholm apparently won’t sign long term either according to reports . So at least 2 .
Not true, from Calgary media and people within organization not national media Lindholm is waiting to see what conroys plan is. If rebuild then he wants out, if retool or stay competitive then he’s willing to stay.

Reactions: Fig and Nanuuk

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Not really. They need is to re-sign them, not necessarily trade them. And if they do it will be for full value.

Of this group I expect that Hanifin is the most likely to be traded and even then I wouldn't be surprised if he re-upped. The others? Depends on their salary demands.

Ledge And Dairy

Hes had a history of excellent to average play in Florida. His playoffs before being traded to Calgary were not good at all. To be fair though so far in Calgary he's been a top pair defender. Guess we will see but with the cap also rising he'd have to really fall off hard to not be worth his cap hit.
You are basing his entire playoffs off 2 bad plays? he was actually very good outside of those 2 plays in last years playoffs. For example he was one of the best at shutting down zone entries as seen here and there is even a video of it here.

His overall play over the the last the last 3 seasons in Florida can only be describe excellent too as seen here.

• Haha
Reactions: TotalHomer

Ledge And Dairy

Man no he isn’t

Are they really that far apart though? Even when Weegar's offense took a huge dip while he was getting used to his new team (10 points in the first 40 games), he was still top of the league defensively. His offense in the 2nd half of the season was more than double that of the first half though (21 points in final 41 games for a 42 point pace) and he picked up even more in the final 20 games where he paced over 50 points. I would not be shocked at all if his offense goes back to normal next year and he still keeps up the excellent defensive play

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
The last two playoff runs with the Panthers Weegar was their worst defender. Mind blowingly bad turnovers at the worst moments and provides nothing offensively. His contract is ok now but three years too long, you don't give complimentary players deals that take them to 38.

Was a beast in their SC run. Weegar turns into a pumpkin in the playoffs, nobody would take him over Toews.
Weegar was not bad in the playoffs for the Panthers. In particular in his last season there. He was statistically one of the best defensive playoff performers on the Panthers.

Prove me wrong.
1689004265290.png

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Love it when Flames fans who haven't watched a single minute of Weegar as a Panther try to convince other people how good he was. Epic.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
It will cost them nothing to acquire and dispose of him, since they got a 3rd pick in the deal. What was the better option in your alternative reality?

Again, what was the better option?

They all have 1 year remaining? Hanifin only one wanting to be moved at the moment from rumours around Calgary.
Publicly known in addition to Hanafin that Lindholm and Backlund are not likely to re-sign:

CgyFlamesftw

Apr 28, 2009
Publicly known in addition to Hanafin that Lindholm and Backlund are not likely to re-sign:

Yes says how it says leaning? As I stated before and from local rumours Lindholm is opening to re signing as well backlund depending on what conroy does to make the team competitive. Do I agree with that no, we should trade them. Only hanifin has been knowingly and reported to want to live in the USA with his gf and start a family.

Ledge And Dairy

It's like you didn't even read your own link lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad