Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I'm guessing Kerfoot and Andersen wont be here for next year. That's 8.5 million to give Hyman a raise and sign Foligno
That's tough a tough play at this time with no G options behind Campbell and Soupy never playing a full season as a starter. You're going to need to spend on a backup.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Any way you want to slice it, truth is odds are not in your favour to get an impact player at 28-31, and odds are worse in a poor draft year. Small price to pay if I am going all in IMO. If we should be crying about a pick, how about the 1st to dump Marleau ??
no the odds aren't in our favor to select an impact player with a late 1st but why do we have to select an impact player for the pick to have more value than what we traded it for ?

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Any way you want to slice it, truth is odds are not in your favour to get an impact player at 28-31, and odds are worse in a poor draft year. Small price to pay if I am going all in IMO. If we should be crying about a pick, how about the 1st to dump Marleau ??

Well said Bro.
Though yeah that first to get rid of Marleau stings

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
no the odds aren't in our favor to select an impact player with a late 1st but why do we have to select an impact player for the pick to have more value than what we traded it for ?

Sure you might get a serviceable player but is that worth more than adding a piece that could put you over the top when you are clearly going for it ?? I say most likely not.

Reactions: Auston 316

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
In a vacuum, yes that's a pretty safe assumption. That said, also comes down to how much competition there was, retention, etc.

Hall is an interesting one. If he does what he can, there's value to be had there. If he does what he has done, not much value. It's actually kind of interesting he went to Boston because it seems like both sides took the opposite of their normal general MO, which in many ways makes me feel this is the right pick for TO.

Taylor Hall ($4,000,000 retained - 50%) · $4,000,000 for a 2nd round pick
or
Nick Foligno ($2,750,000 retained - 50%) by CBJ & Nick Foligno ($1,375,000 retained - 50%) by SJ · $1,375,000 = $4,125,000 retention total for a 1st round pick.

Retention was essentially the same in both trades only Leafs spit theirs over 2 teams!!

Leafs paid 1st + 2 X 4ths and Boston paid 2nd rounder for the same retention amount.

Source Capfriendly : NHL Trade History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Last edited:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I would guess that an impact player arrives on the scene in a year or two. A non-impact player doesn't arrive for 4 -5 years minimum.

Look at our roster 5 years ago. A lot changes in that time frame.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Paws man..... once you see Foligno's impact on our cup run that first will be the furthest thing from your mind.
don't have a problem dealing the 1st , just think we could have gotten more for it

and with our weak division it's the right move to sell futures to take the best shot we can

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
The price for Foligno was high, but maybe if you combined the Nash deal together, the optics looks slightly better. Foligno, Nash for 2021 1st, 4th and 2022 4th, and a 7th round

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
or
Nick Foligno ($2,750,000 retained - 50%) by CBJ & Nick Foligno ($1,375,000 retained - 50%) by SJ · $1,375,000 = $4,125,000 retention total for a 1st round pick.

Retention was essentially the same in both trades only Leafs spit theirs over 2 teams!!

Leafs paid 1st + 2 X 4ths and Boston paid 2nd rounder for the same retention amount.

Yup. Reports also say more were interested in Foligno. Who knows if true? He's actually potted more goals than Hall the last 3 years (more GP). Thing with Hall is if he isn't scoring, what does he bring? You don't ask that question with Foligno.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The price for Foligno was high, but maybe if you combined the Nash deal together, the optics looks slightly better. Foligno, Nash for 2021 1st, 4th and 2022 4th, and a 7th round

I was just coming to post that. Foligno was objectively an overpayment, but I wonder if there was some goodwill being returned on the Nash trade.

Even at this years prices a 6th for Nash is crazy, I feel like the 4th going to the Jackets acknowledges that. the SJ 4th was the price of doing business and a market value set by Tampa/Det. Then we're looking at the difference between our 1st and our 2nd

Last edited:
Reactions: Bloomberg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
OMG Dubie baby you da man baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To da Cup and beyond baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a massive massive massive steal .... just robbed CLB huge ... 2021 1st rounder late is a trash pick nothing there baby ... WOW ... Foligno for a pick in WORST draft in history of pro hockey OMG OMG OMG ... it is da greatest steal of TDL 2021 ... Dubie has won GM of year baby

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Worth mentioning acquiring Hall, even involving a 3rd team for retention still gives the Leafs less capspace than acquiring Folingo. Seems clear that dubas has plans for additional additions

Reactions: ToneDog

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
or

Armchair GM’s:rolleyes:

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Worth mentioning acquiring Hall, even involving a 3rd team for retention still gives the Leafs less capspace than acquiring Folingo. Seems clear that dubas has plans for additional additions

I am still baffled that Hall went only for a 2nd. At very least he can really skate and could be a good depth guy
You waited this long to trade him for a 2nd?

I can't get my head around that

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
was it reported ?

or is it just another convenient excuse ?

Reported. Mirtle and Jonas Siegle talked about him as a potential Leafs targeted kna Leafs Report podcast back in mid March.

Said Leafs were interested but were moving on believing he wanted to stay state side to avoid the quarantine procedures (which at the time was still 14 days)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe. Fact is we have not done well with late first rounders (jury still out on Sandin) and this is a poor draft class. Take the sure thing that adds what you lack now instead of a crap shoot that won't be available for another 3 or 4 years. Heck we are still waiting for #15 Lily to make the jump.

Since Dubas has arrived Leafs draft strategy has been to draft skill regardless of size, and then trade for need in terms of size, grit, leadership etc in Foligno.

Some people scream to this day about Leafs giving up and wasting late 2nds for vet rentals for Tomas Plekanec or Brian Boyle, for playoff runs help.

So when you then deal your 1st round pick for an aging rental player to obtain those traits you refuse to draft, or higher costs than have been frown upon in he past, then how does one square that if the cost is the same or more?

Under these pandemic rules our Leafs are never going to get a better opportunity at the Stanley Cup when you only need to beat 6 X CDN teams to make it to the final 4 then and 2 of 24 USA based ones at the Cup. If there was ever a year to go All-in then this is the one so perhaps that was a major management decision factor in the risk vs reward to help explain the sacrifice.. Lets just hope Leafs picked the right player in Foligno to do that, compared to the cost and availability of other players at this TD.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
I'm guessing Kerfoot and Andersen wont be here for next year. That's 8.5 million to give Hyman a raise and sign Foligno
not quite, we will have to sign a back up to replace Andersen, and if it is Rittich may be in the 2mil range.
But yes, I had similar thoughts that this will help us retain Hyman, which is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad