Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I like Foligno but f*** this is a steep price to pay for a 3rd line grinder who won't provide much offense .

I wonder if Leafs were pondering Foligno for a 1st, or Taylor Hall for a 2nd rounder?

Was this about fit and need, or price of acquisition?

To me it seems Hall should have gone for a 1st and Foligno for a 2nd. IMO

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Not necessarily. It's a game of poker. The second best offer for Foligno might have been a 3rd round pick for all we know.

The way I see it, the veteran Boston GM got good value out of the rookie Buffalo GM, and the veteran Columbus GM got good value out of the relatively inexperienced Leafs GM (and I say this as someone who generally supports Dubas and what the Leafs are doing).

If you look at this trade deadline (Staal for a 3rd + 5th, Palmierei and Zajac for a 1st, Hall for a 2nd, etc) and you look at past trade deadlines, there really aren't comparable trades of a 1st + two mid round picks to obtain a pending UFA 33 year old 3rd line player. Foligno's a good fit for us, but I think we got tunnel vision here and became too focused on specifically obtaining Foligno, instead of playing the market and looking at Foligno vs Iafollo vs Laughton vs etc.
And ill take Foligno over any of those guys in the playoffs

Reactions: glue and Confucius

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I wonder if Leafs were pondering Foligno for a 1st, or Taylor Hall for a 2nd rounder?

In a vacuum, yes that's a pretty safe assumption. That said, also comes down to how much competition there was, retention, etc.

Hall is an interesting one. If he does what he can, there's value to be had there. If he does what he has done, not much value. It's actually kind of interesting he went to Boston because it seems like both sides took the opposite of their normal general MO, which in many ways makes me feel this is the right pick for TO.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

i'm wondering why we didn't trade for Palmieri if we that willing to dump our first ?

Last edited:

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I had a similar thought with him re-signing, but I can't see us extending him before Hyman unless its for pennies.

I'm guessing Kerfoot and Andersen wont be here for next year. That's 8.5 million to give Hyman a raise and sign Foligno

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Who is the last Leaf to be drafted #25+ in the first round to make a significant impact ?? Fact is odds are very low we hit on that #1 pick. Worth it IMO.

Isn't that more about a statement directed at Leafs amateur scouting abilities than trade value of the pick itself ?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Watching the press conference, Foligno is stoked. I think he comes in and sees this mix of a veteran group and then the young core who are also leaders now, and settles right in.

A good mix of elite young offensive stars and savvy vets with some others with something to prove.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Who is the last Leaf to be drafted #25+ in the first round to make a significant impact ?? Fact is odds are very low we hit on that #1 pick. Worth it IMO.
i hate when people try to make that argument , it's like saying every pick after a mid first is pretty much worthless so we should deal them all every year because the chances of hitting an impact player isn't 50/50

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
To hell with the price. Great bottom 6 players win you the Stanley cup.
to be honest Gally will probably have just as much of an impact on our playoff fortunes as Foligno will since he decided to give an effort

not knocking Foligno , just feel we could have gotten a better player for that pkg

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Isn't that more about a statement directed at Leafs amateur scouting abilities than trade value of the pick itself ?

Maybe. Fact is we have not done well with late first rounders (jury still out on Sandin) and this is a poor draft class. Take the sure thing that adds what you lack now instead of a crap shoot that won't be available for another 3 or 4 years. Heck we are still waiting for #15 Lily to make the jump.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Not necessarily. It's a game of poker. The second best offer for Foligno might have been a 3rd round pick for all we know.

The way I see it, the veteran Boston GM got good value out of the rookie Buffalo GM, and the veteran Columbus GM got good value out of the relatively inexperienced Leafs GM (and I say this as someone who generally supports Dubas and what the Leafs are doing).

If you look at this trade deadline (Staal for a 3rd + 5th, Palmierei and Zajac for a 1st, Hall for a 2nd, etc) and you look at past trade deadlines, there really aren't comparable trades of a 1st + two mid round picks to obtain a pending UFA 33 year old 3rd line player. Foligno's a good fit for us, but I think we got tunnel vision here and became too focused on specifically obtaining Foligno, instead of playing the market and looking at Foligno vs Iafollo vs Laughton vs etc.

Iafallo isn't even available, Mike Johnson just brought his name up on TSN radio as someone he did research in and thought would be a good fit. Iafallo is staying in LA.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
to be honest Gally will probably have just as impact on our playoff fortunes as Foligno will since he decided to give an effort

not knocking Foligno , just feel we could have gotten a better player for that pkg
Not a chance. Foligno is a warrior brings it every minute of every game. Not the right person to compare Galy with. While i love the recent surge I really don't expect much from Galy in the playoffs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i hate when people try to make that argument , it's like saying every pick after a mid first is pretty much worthless so we should deal them all every year because the chances of hitting an impact player isn't 50/50

Any way you want to slice it, truth is odds are not in your favour to get an impact player at 28-31, and odds are worse in a poor draft year. Small price to pay if I am going all in IMO. If we should be crying about a pick, how about the 1st to dump Marleau ??

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Watching the press conference, Foligno is stoked. I think he comes in and sees this mix of a veteran group and then the young core who are also leaders now, and settles right in.

A good mix of elite young offensive stars and savvy vets with some others with something to prove.
Love this post!!!
Can't wait for the playoffs!!!

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
In a vacuum, yes that's a pretty safe assumption. That said, also comes down to how much competition there was, retention, etc.

Hall is an interesting one. If he does what he can, there's value to be had there. If he does what he has done, not much value. It's actually kind of interesting he went to Boston because it seems like both sides took the opposite of their normal general MO, which in many ways makes me feel this is the right pick for TO.
I'm pretty sure there was Tones of competition for NF. Players who like this aren't available all the time don't come cheap.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
i'm wondering why didn't trade for Palmieri if we that willing to dump our first ?

Kyle Palmieri & Travis Zajac for 2021 1st-Round Pick & 2022 4th-Round Pick
or
Nick Foligno for 2021 1st-Round pick & 2022 4th-Round pick

Those cost are the same. *excluding the 2 marginal AHL prospects tossed in (perhaps for contract #'s reasons as NYI's are at CONTRACTS: 50/50).

Palmieri is younger and more effective goal scorer having put up 3 straight 25 goal seasons on average prior to his year and Isles bought more salary retention for their 1st.

Kyle Palmieri ($2,325,000 retained - 50%) · $2,325,000
Travis Zajac ($2,875,000 retained - 50%) · $2,875,000

Dubas and company must really like the intangibles that Foligno brings in leadership as well as on ice aspects to his game. Lets hope Nick can have the desired impact that it cost to acquire him over other options that appear to have more offensive upside and similar or lower costs to obtain. :crossfing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad