Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] LD Mikko Lehtonen to CBJ for G Veini Vehvilainen

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lets hope we get something from Veini Vehvilainen, but I currently look at this more as the newer version of now former Leaf Kasimir Kaskisuo in the pipeline.

A comparison which makes no sense given that Kaskisuo was never a prospect of any note, was never drafted, and had a nondescript junior career.

Reactions: nuck

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A comparison which makes no sense given that Kaskisuo was never a prospect of any note, was never drafted, and had a nondescript junior career.

Those are less important comparators then being Finnish with a hard to read alliteration of a name.

Reactions: zeke

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
It may legit be worth actually giving him a shot with the way the goal-tending situation has been over the last bit.
Might as well, Dubas can't do anything until Campbell can play TDL is in a month away I believe, so we wait :|

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Consider Kevin Lankinen's last two Liga seasons and then compare them with Vehvilainen's. Cause for optimism?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Consider Kevin Lankinen's last two Liga seasons and then compare them with Vehvilainen's. Cause for optimism?

I wouldn’t say optimism but he’s definitely a mystery box. And the goalie situation is starting to look more and more desperate.

Reactions: ITM

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn’t say Lankinen being a darkhorse success with a similar development path makes VV a legitimate prospect, but I do think he’s a prospect with some interesting untapped upside as opposed to a pure minor league journeyman.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Vehvilainen was behind a powerhouse team which made the finals both years with Vehvilainen in net. Lankinen was not, but almost carried them to the same level of success.

It's nice that he is able to do well behind good teams, but that is not going to be enough for him to make the NHL. Let's see how he does behind the brutal Marlies defense right now. If he can show promise there, then he may be able to become something.

Reactions: LFCTML and ITM

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Will Vehvilainen be our 3rd string goalie?
I think Hutch gets claimed if we place him on waivers...but would Dubas care?
I could see a Colorado reunion with Hutch if the other teams ahead of them passed.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Will Vehvilainen be our 3rd string goalie?
I think Hutch gets claimed if we place him on waivers...but would Dubas care?
I could see a Colorado reunion with Hutch if the other teams ahead of them passed.

If Andersen's injury is serious enough, the Leafs may be using Hutch as their backup for a while.

Which would mean Vehvilainen is likely sitting on the taxi squad for a little bit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Andersen's injury is serious enough, the Leafs may be using Hutch as their backup for a while.

Which would mean Vehvilainen is likely sitting on the taxi squad for a little bit.

I'd probably rotate Hutch to the taxi squad and VV to the bench with spot duty. It's not that I know what we have in VV, it's that Hutch's mental game is very unpredictable and unreliable.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I haven’t commented on this yet so.. The Leafs done Lehtonen right by moving him. He couldn’t do anything to steal a spot. He definitely wasn’t bad. I hope he catches on in the Nhl. Likely it was a mutual decided by Lehtonen wanting to play and the cap. They let him go so he could play. Good move. I just know he is goung to be good somewhere else soon. That’s fine, letting him play was the right call. Good luck to him i say.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I dislike Hutch as much as the next person, not sure exposing him over Vehvilainen is the right option either.

Hutch has no upside. VV may have upside. That’s why you expose Hutch. He’s so bad they won’t even take him. It’s completely perfunctory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad