Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ] LD Mikko Lehtonen to CBJ for G Veini Vehvilainen

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Just had a thought... could be this trade is part of a larger deal with Columbus. We’ve been linked to Foligno, so maybe this is just part of bigger deal involving Foligno where they wanted more time to elapse for cap considerations.

Lehtonen also occupied a spot on the taxi squad so that could be a consideration too.

He was actually sent down to the Marlies the day before so I don't think the taxi squad had anything to do with it. The main difference now is that Rosen or Marincin (or as of right now, both) are going to occupy the spot instead.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I think Dubas is trying to create positive environment here. He's done similar in the past.

He's put the career of a player ahead of his/Toronto's selfish needs.

Lehtonen wasn't playing, Keefe didn't fancy him - rightly or wrong.

But Lehtonen wants to come to the NHL, play and make his name. I think Dubas has said, 'okay, it's not happening here, you deserve your opportunity, we'll make it happen'.

He's done it before with a few players. Josh Leivo springs to mind.

Maybe it will cost in the long run. But it definitely gives people a good feeling too. Players talk, agents talk.

If there's another free agent up for grabs in the KHL that Toronto wants, he and his agent will know if Toronto come calling, if it doesn't work, they will find somewhere they will get a chance. They wont be selfish and bury them.

I like it personally. It shows a humanity and I want to see that.
To be fair, he should put nothing, like absolutely nothing, ahead of Toronto's selfish needs.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Obviously laying the foundation for a larger trade that includes Foligno/Jenner and Savard/MDZ coming to Toronto.......

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
This is how I see it too. I don't understand why we couldn't give Lehtonen a real chance to show what he could do, and now our depth on D is all but gone.

I guess I have to trust that Keefe/Dubas know what they're doing but ATM, I can't say I like this one bit.

Expansion complicates things because management has to play Dermott to see if he's worth making a side deal with Seattle to protect and there was little chance of him beating out Bogo for the other bottom pairing position due to their different skillsets

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
To be fair, he should put nothing, like absolutely nothing, ahead of Toronto's selfish needs.

There's also long term vs short term needs.

Odds are the Leafs will need to deal with that agent again in future at some point. Burn a bridge now leads to complications down the road

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This was a self serving move, Dubas is making sure the next udfa won't have pause about signing here because we signed a guy with options and shelved him.

ya,,,,, like cracking the line up of the first place team,,should not come with any challenges?

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LEAFS SNAPSHOTS: Andersen not providing the kind of goaltending Maple Leafs need | Toronto Sun

The trading of defenceman Mikko Lehtonen on Friday to Columbus continued a recent line of general failures on the part of the Leafs in signing free agents out of Europe.

Going back to the signing of Nikita Zaitsev in May 2016, the list of players lured to Toronto in search of success in the NHL includes Miro Aaltonen, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman, Par Lindholm, Igor Ozhiganov, Ilya Mikheyev, Teemu Kivihalme, Lehtonen and Alexander Barabanov.

Other than Mikheyev, whose determination has helped make him a valued member of the forward group, none became overly significant players for the Leafs. We suppose we can’t yet cast judgment on Barabanov, as he is trying to find his way with the Marlies.

“Not having exhibition games really made it difficult for any incoming player to get the chance to get the bugs out, adjust to the league, show what they could do, earn some additional trust,” Keefe said on Saturday when we asked him about Lehtonen. “We adjusted and gave him an opportunity to be in our top six.

“He’s definitely a talent, and he worked really hard. (General manager) Kyle (Dubas) was able to find a place for Mikko to go. There’s something to be said for that. We wish him all the best.”

Where it gets intriguing for the Leafs is the player they acquired from the Blue Jackets, goalie Veini Vehvilainen, could evolve into a factor. The Jackets liked Vehvilainen, but figured they had enough depth in goal and wanted another body on the blue line. Vehvilainen’s ability to anticipate the play and his mental strength were appreciated in Columbus, and undoubtedly helped make him attractive to the Leafs.

With Lehtonen gone, the path for youngsters Rasmus Sandin (out with a foot injury) and Timothy Liljegren to make an impact with the Leafs becomes a little more clear.

Reactions: The Cobra

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
When the Leafs signed 26 year old KHL UFA Mikko Lehtonen, I had my fingers crossed that he would have an impact similar the Nikita Zaitsev signing of the past, where he put up 82 games 4-32-36 points when coming over and playing top 4 and >20 min ATOI/g.

Sadly that was not the case, and more along the lines again of these "free wallets" returning what we paid.

That said I wouldn't have minded that Lehtonen and Dermott had rotated in and out this season, giving Mikko a greater opportunity to prove himself and to keep him as depth on D come playoff time as a invaluable resource.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
LEAFS SNAPSHOTS: Andersen not providing the kind of goaltending Maple Leafs need | Toronto Sun

The trading of defenceman Mikko Lehtonen on Friday to Columbus continued a recent line of general failures on the part of the Leafs in signing free agents out of Europe.

Going back to the signing of Nikita Zaitsev in May 2016, the list of players lured to Toronto in search of success in the NHL includes Miro Aaltonen, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman, Par Lindholm, Igor Ozhiganov, Ilya Mikheyev, Teemu Kivihalme, Lehtonen and Alexander Barabanov.

Other than Mikheyev, whose determination has helped make him a valued member of the forward group, none became overly significant players for the Leafs. We suppose we can’t yet cast judgment on Barabanov, as he is trying to find his way with the Marlies.

“Not having exhibition games really made it difficult for any incoming player to get the chance to get the bugs out, adjust to the league, show what they could do, earn some additional trust,” Keefe said on Saturday when we asked him about Lehtonen. “We adjusted and gave him an opportunity to be in our top six.

“He’s definitely a talent, and he worked really hard. (General manager) Kyle (Dubas) was able to find a place for Mikko to go. There’s something to be said for that. We wish him all the best.”

Where it gets intriguing for the Leafs is the player they acquired from the Blue Jackets, goalie Veini Vehvilainen, could evolve into a factor. The Jackets liked Vehvilainen, but figured they had enough depth in goal and wanted another body on the blue line. Vehvilainen’s ability to anticipate the play and his mental strength were appreciated in Columbus, and undoubtedly helped make him attractive to the Leafs.

With Lehtonen gone, the path for youngsters Rasmus Sandin (out with a foot injury) and Timothy Liljegren to make an impact with the Leafs becomes a little more clear.

I like this.

I talk to some leaf fans and they call it a "nothing trade". I don't see it like that. I don't think this trade was nothing. I think that Lehtonen was a better asset than a "free wallet" 7th defenseman. It's hard to see what V.V. brings, but I don't think they just settled on anyone or a cheap throw in.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lets hope we get something from Veini Vehvilainen, but I currently look at this more as the newer version of now former Leaf Kasimir Kaskisuo in the pipeline.

Goalies are so hit and miss that its hard to really tell what might become of this down the road.

Leafs scouting are not exactly the best at goalie evaluations the way our drafting and UFA signings and particularly our backup goalie situation has evolved.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
FYI Vieni translates to Wine in English.

Cheers

No it does not.

Its pronounced like the english word veiny
And the Finnish word that you were looking for was viini...

viini and Veini..... almost the same, i know :)

-----

back to topic, can't your team use Vehviläinen thou?, you know for real
- can't be worse what Andersen

Vehviläinen is a good goalie, he has had some troubles to adjust to the NHL sized rink
and faster pace, that's all, it took Lankinen some to adjust as well

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
He's about the same size as Calvin Petersen in LA. I'm not as hung up on size as some. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maple Leafs trade deadline news: Mikko Lehtonen traded to Columbus for Veini Vehvilainen – The Athletic

March 12: The end of the Mikko Lehtonen audition

The Leafs acquired prospect goaltender Veini Vehvilainen from Columbus for Mikko Lehtonen on Friday.

Mirtle’s take: This gives Toronto a little more goaltending depth and will allow prospect Joseph Woll to be with the Marlies instead of sitting around on the taxi squad.

Vehvilainen had some big seasons in Finland and could surprise in the role, if he gets a chance to play.
(Our prospect guru Scott Wheeler has more on Vehvilainen here.)

Lehtonen? He simply wasn’t going to get much of a chance in Toronto given his early struggles. No training camp really hurt him, as it proved a big adjustment coming over from the KHL.

Coach Sheldon Keefe never seemed comfortable trusting Lehtonen in games and ultimately only dressed him nine times in the first half of the season.

“What we’ve maintained from the start is not having exhibition games really made it difficult for any incoming player to get the chance to sort of get the bugs out, adjust to the league, show what they can do, earn some additional trust, all those things,” Keefe said on Saturday.

“We think, all things considered, we adjusted to the situation and gave him an opportunity to be in our top six. We had Travis Dermott on the outside through training camp and just made a decision once the games were getting going that Lehts needed more time, and it’s how it’s worked out."

“He’s definitely a talent, and he worked really hard here and waited for his chance. I think, at the same time, we’ve got a number of other people in the organization that didn’t get the opportunity even that Mikko had here this season that (the trade will) open up a little more space and opportunity for (Rasmus Sandin and others)."

“At the same time, Kyle was able to find a place for Mikko to go. He’s an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season here, and it’s a big year for him. I think there’s something to be said for that as well, and we wish him all the best.”

The Blue Jackets were one of the teams that recruited Lehtonen heavily in the off-season, so it makes sense he lands there. The Leafs also earn a little goodwill for not leaving him mired on the bench all year after he left a pretty lucrative KHL contract to come over this season.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 31 Columbus Blue Jackets – The Athletic

3. Veini Vehvilainen, G, 22 (Cleveland Monsters)

I’d normally be hesitant to have a goalie this high in any team’s prospect rankings but a combination of the lack of depth in the Blue Jackets’ prospect pool and his track record made that impossible. Vehvilainen has been not just good but really good since he was 15 years old. He literally hasn’t had a single bad season. That was true in Finland’s junior ranks and it has been true ever since in Mestis, Liiga (leading the league in save percentage and winning goaltender of the year twice!) and now the AHL. While he’s not the biggest goalie in the world at 6-foot-1, he’s controlled and that prevents him from swimming in his net and having to make big recovery saves. Vehvilainen isn’t a flashy goalie, but he’s efficient; and if he can see the first shot, you can count on him to save it. Both Elvis Merzlikins and Joonas Korpisalo are pending RFAs, but even if they’re both back with the Blue Jackets, I’d expect Vehvilainen to challenge them for starts in 2020-21.

Reactions: OddyOh

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

Line of failures? These are medium to low percentage plays. Always have been. You do 10 of them and you should expect to hit on 1 or 2 of them like something like a 3rd round pick. The team has Mikheyev and Zaitsev's an NHL defender. That's 2 hits on 10 tries. This isn't a failure.

I agree with the good will of dealing him. Other European free agents will note that MLSE did not leave the player buried in the depth chart if that's undesirable to the player.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I don’t know why it was so difficult to get Lehtonen playing. Yeah we were winning but f*** it’s just the bottom pairing, give the guy a shot, no need to drop him to the AHL.

Now look at us, team looks like a dumpster fire and Dermott-Bogosian have lost their marbles. But yeah it’s much better to trade him away to “be fair to the guy.” Jesus Christ as if Bogo couldn’t have used the rest.

Stupid. It’s ridiculous how little Keefe has utilized the Taxi Squad. Now our next best hopes are unproven commodities in Sandin and Liljegren, or the disaster on ice that is Martin Marincin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad