Confirmed Trade: [TOR/CAR] Leafs acquire Alex Galchenyuk from Carolina for Egor Korshkov and David Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Wait...When did Galchenyuk go to Carolina? I can't keep track of this guy lol

He is the new Benoit Pouliot. Now just waiting for Edmonton give a 4 year contract to the guy who has been on 7 teams in 5 years.

Mar 12, 2009
Just what the leafs need... Another forward with little compete... This outta put them as cup favorites.....
ya this trade was definitely made to put us over the top, and it cost so much...jesus some of you are drama queens. It's a nothing deal, but of course the loonies are out making it out to be some massive blunder.

At any rate, it's nice to see the rest of the leagues fans have a positive opinion on Korshkov now after not thinking anything of him at all (outside of being considered a strange 2nd round pick) the last 5 years.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Is this just a cap/contract management trade? Are any of these guys going be in a NHL roster?

Maybe the leafs will try out Galchenyuk. Korshkov is already playing in Russia and might have bottom 6 potential in the long run and Warsofsky will head to the Chicago wolves to be coached by his older brother. He’s well down the defensive depth chart for the canes.

Reactions: tucker3434

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
ya this trade was definitely made to put us over the top, and it cost so much...jesus some of you are drama queens. It's a nothing deal, but of course the loonies are out making it out to be some massive blunder.

Posted on the Sens board, Galchenyuk should get a few games but he will need to do a lot to stick. Is this a semi-accurate breakdown of the bottom 6 depth?

Spezza - lock
Kerfoot - lock
Simmonds - injured, lock
Robertson - injured, near lock
Mikheyev - near lock, inside track
Engvall - inside track
Boyd - fringe inside track
Vesey - fringe
Petan - fringe
Brooks - fringe
Anderson - fringe
Barabanov - fringe

Mar 12, 2009
Posted on the Sens board, Galchenyuk should get a few games but he will need to do a lot to stick. Is this a semi-accurate breakdown of the bottom 6 depth?

Spezza - lock
Kerfoot - lock
Simmonds - injured, lock
Engvall - inside track
Vesey - fringe
Petan - fringe
Brooks - fringe
Anderson - fringe
Barabanov - fringe
Mkheyev a lock for me. I think Gallchenyuk is mostly depth considering we've had some poor injury luck and perhaps takes a spot of a Vesey to try him out. He's probably a taxi squad guy once everyone is healthy, barring some sort of miracle of chemistry with one of the top lines (highly doubtful).

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Why would the Leafs want Galchenyuk?

Moneyball reasons?

jonahhill_a.jpg

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Spezza - lock
Kerfoot - lock
Simmonds - injured, lock
Engvall - inside track
Vesey - fringe
Petan - fringe
Brooks - fringe
Anderson - fringe
Barabanov - fringe
Mikheyev is a lock, Spezza right now is a lock, but is 37 so will likely sit some games (already has). Robertson likely is fringe at this point, wasn't a lock before his injury but we'll see what happens when he returns.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Mikheyev is a lock, Spezza right now is a lock, but is 37 so will likely sit some games (already has). Robertson likely is fringe at this point, wasn't a lock before his injury but we'll see what happens when he returns.

Mkheyev a lock for me. I think Gallchenyuk is mostly depth considering we've had some poor injury luck and perhaps takes a spot of a Vesey to try him out. He's probably a taxi squad guy once everyone is healthy, barring some sort of miracle of chemistry with one of the top lines (highly doubtful).

I was gonna put Mik as a lock but my Leafs fan best friend has been very critical of him and said he wouldn't be surprised to see him get some games in the pressbox. As for Spezza, I am sure you're right but maybe also the case for Jumbo. That said, when the chips are down and the games are important, I suspect Spezza will be in every one of them.

I was really against adding Galchenyuk, and given that we waived him so quickly and lost Balcers as a result I still think it was short-sighted, but he was better than I anticipated. I think he can be a useful fill-in on L4 with PP time if at some point you guys lose some of your regular PPers to injury. That said, I agree that it would be very surprising if he is close to a regular player. You guys have too many options.

Reactions: Kelly

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Moneyball reasons?

jonahhill_a.jpg

Carolina may be the one club that's more analytics-driven than Toronto, and that's saying a lot. I believe that their analytics department is the second largest in the NHL outside of Toronto. They do have different philosophies on cap management, however, in that Carolina's willing to spend more on their depth guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Is this just a cap/contract management trade? Are any of these guys going be in a NHL roster?
I think the Leafs moved out to contract in Korshkov and War, so maybe they saw it as gaining an extra contract spot?
Galch seems to never have fully recovered (either mentality or physically) from his injuries a few years ago.

On Montreal 296 points in 490 games (that's a 49.5 point pace), and that's all when he was below 26.
Maybe the Leafs think they can rehab his injury to the point where he can be a 15g,25a 3W?

If you include the last 2 years, he is still at a 47 point pace over his career.

Even if its a 5% chance the Leafs training staff can get him back to where he is, might be a worthwhile move, especially if Korshkov stays in the KHL.

Reactions: tucker3434

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Leafs going all in. I get that, but why is Canes already giving up on the season?

Whos the next big fish rental? Schneider?
Canes giving up on season because galchenyuk was used as a pawn to get the 4th line center they wanted ? Am I missing something?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I wish there was an island, like that of the island of misfit toys, where we could send Alex...

Just seems more humane than 3 or 4 new teams every year. Poor guy is going to spend 2/3rds of this season alone in quarantine.

He was just there. And Waddell traded him out of it within 48 hours.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
I was gonna put Mik as a lock but my Leafs fan best friend has been very critical of him and said he wouldn't be surprised to see him get some games in the pressbox. As for Spezza, I am sure you're right but maybe also the case for Jumbo. That said, when the chips are down and the games are important, I suspect Spezza will be in every one of them.

I was really against adding Galchenyuk, and given that we waived him so quickly and lost Balcers as a result I still think it was short-sighted, but he was better than I anticipated. I think he can be a useful fill-in on L4 with PP time if at some point you guys lose some of your regular PPers to injury. That said, I agree that it would be very surprising if he is close to a regular player. You guys have too many options.
Points and puck luck haven't been there for Mikyehev, but he's been pretty good. I'd say one of our better wingers outside of Marner/Nylander/Hyman. He is great on the PK, and his speed is creating chances for him and his line.

Basically the equivalent of Kapanen for us this year -- he'll be a mainstay in the lineup outside of injury.

You're likely right with Spezza, should also be a mainstay in the lineup outside maybe a couple games Keefe will scratch him for a break.

Galchenyuk could get a couple reps with the big team, but at this point I think it's likely he see's more farm squad/Marlies time then any Leafs time unless injuries happen again.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I actually like this for the Leafs. Galchenyuk was a good offensive player abfew years back and the talent is still there. The problem with him is he is a liability on defense. Given an offensive role only on an offensive team might actually be benefitable for him. Play run-n-gun with Matthews and Marner and drop Thornton to the 3rd. I`m a minority I suppose, but I actually think he will be a good fit on Leafs.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Points and puck luck haven't been there for Mikyehev, but he's been pretty good. I'd say one of our better wingers outside of Marner/Nylander/Hyman. He is great on the PK, and his speed is creating chances for him and his line.

Basically the equivalent of Kapanen for us this year -- he'll be a mainstay in the lineup outside of injury.

You're likely right with Spezza, should also be a mainstay in the lineup outside maybe a couple games Keefe will scratch him for a break.

Galchenyuk could get a couple reps with the big team, but at this point I think it's likely he see's more farm squad/Marlies time then any Leafs time unless injuries happen again.

Mik is similar to Engvall ...they skate fast, rush the puck (and do nothing with it until they turn it over), and lack the offensive instinct to be a top 6 winger(s).

Mik, if he doesnt start to produce is trade fodder, same with Engvall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad