Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ARI] Leafs acquire Carter Hutton for future considerations

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Minnesota.

This was a joke answer, right?

I don't think there has ever been or ever will be a team with a worse cap situation than this version of the Minnesota Wild.

They are a couple million under the cap this year but have a fee key players to resign in tbe off-season. That will be difficult with the Parise and Suter buyout penalities ballooning to close to $13M next year and $15M for the two years after that. The cap could cause a serious dismantling in Minnesota, I don't see how they avoid that actually.

Reactions: banks and Ciao

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You haven’t seen Hutton play have you?

Look if u think Hutton is going to play the majority of the games as a 36 year old coming off an injury where he hasn’t played in months at the expense of AZ’s top goaltending prospect then hold onto that. I don’t think that’s how it plays out. I will be surprised if he plays at all.

Why would AZ want him there then? If he was not to play, he could just go to the Marlies and not play there.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why would AZ want him there then? If he was not to play, he could just go to the Marlies and not play there.
He’s not going to play period. The arrangement is so he doesn’t have to leave his family. I will be happy to be wrong but if i will be surprised if he dresses a game let alone plays a game the rest of the year. Toronto did AZ a favour by paying his salary for them and it doesn’t hurt the development of their prospects.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
He’s not going to play period. The arrangement is so he doesn’t have to leave his family. I will be happy to be wrong but if i will be surprised if he dresses a game let alone plays a game the rest of the year. Toronto did AZ a favour by paying his salary for them and it doesn’t hurt the development of their prospects.

If he isn't to play a game and just stay home, why does it matter if he's with assigned to the Marlies or Tucson?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If he isn't to play a game and just stay home, why does it matter if he's with assigned to the Marlies or Tucson?
Do you technically have to suspend/not pay a player who doesn’t report? What are the legal precedents if he does this and you don’t?

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
This was a joke answer, right?

I don't think there has ever been or ever will be a team with a worse cap situation than this version of the Minnesota Wild.

They are a couple million under the cap this year but have a fee key players to resign in tbe off-season. That will be difficult with the Parise and Suter buyout penalities ballooning to close to $13M next year and $15M for the two years after that. The cap could cause a serious dismantling in Minnesota, I don't see how they avoid that actually.
Almost 6 million under and sitting pretty .

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
Mmmm...ok. Don't you see that this might not have been an unnecessary move? Picking up $750K of Hutton might have been necessary to get Arizona to take on Ritchie with no retention. This is not only unnecessary, it was extremely creative and shrewd.
It was simply an extension of the Ritchie deal. Arizona doesn't was to pay Ritchie 3.3 million next year so Leafs pay a pro rated portion of Hutton's contract as retention. Also this clears a contract space of Arizona incase it is needed late on. When you have MLSE money it is easy to spend.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Could be . A simple check on the cap situation shows minn in OK shape this season leading up to the deadline.

Thanks. To me it looks like they are much closer when Dumba comes back.

They are heading into the worst cap situation I have ever seen. They lose $13M is space this off-season and $15M the next two. I don't know how you even do that. You are looking at dropping four $5M players (when you account for the coat of replacing them). Just go through any team in the league and see how hurt they would be by removing four players of that calibre.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Thanks. To me it looks like they are much closer when Dumba comes back.

They are heading into the worst cap situation I have ever seen. They lose $13M is space this off-season and $15M the next two. I don't know how you even do that. You are looking at dropping four $5M players (when you account for the coat of replacing them). Just go through any team in the league and see how hurt they would be by removing four players of that calibre.
Have some faith Billy G knows what he is doing .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad