Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ARI] Leafs acquire Carter Hutton for future considerations

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Could TOR and AZ swap goalies?

TOR sends Mrazek and a pick

AZ sends Wedgewood, who has played pretty good for the worst team in the league.

Toronto gets a potentially better back up and gets out of cap

AZ doesn’t have to chase down a goalie in the summer

What about when Mrazek gets injured and they have to replace him in the fall? If Arizona is just looking for a warm body then Mrazek probably isn't their best bet.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
How many games do Leafs think Hutton will play in Tuscon?
If they don't get any injuries to the top-2 goalies and the Marlies current trio can keep their head above water he could very well finish the year there.

If he looks like a stud in the AHL the Marlies may need him for their playoff run.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
If they don't get any injuries to the top-2 goalies and the Marlies current trio can keep their head above water he could very well finish the year there.

If he looks like a stud in the AHL the Marlies may need him for their playoff run.
You’re missing where i’m going with this. Why would AZ play Hutton? Will he even get a start?

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Name another team that sends down one its top 5 defenseman to save daily cap space because he's the only one eligible. Dubas will have a job for life.

What does that matter? lol feels like you are scrapping the bottom of the barrel which was the point of my OP.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
You’re missing where i’m going with this. Why would AZ play Hutton? Will he even get a start?
They wanted him to be loaned there I'm pretty sure.

The Prosvetov/Korenar tandem that Tucson is currently running gives me great hope that he will get the bulk of the starts.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Think bigger picture, like how bad can you manage the cap that you need to so dependent on minor deals to save a few bucks.
Toronto took on salary with the minor deal. I think a lot of GMs that are near the cap would make those sort of deals, and all those GMs near the top have good teams. Everyone has to work with in the cap.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Toronto took on salary with the minor deal. I think a lot of GMs that are near the cap would make those sort of deals, and all those GMs near the top have good teams. Everyone has to work with in the cap.
Sure, seems like things are working great. Dubas might be GM of the year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Look we'll pick up the tab this time, but would it kill you to at least offer to pick up the cheque? Maybe offer to buy a bottle of wine for the table?
The Coyotes already picked up Nick Ritchie's $3 million salary for next season.

That's like bringing all the back ribs for the barbecue. The Leafs are just paying for the potato salad.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
They wanted him to be loaned there I'm pretty sure.

The Prosvetov/Korenar tandem that Tucson is currently running gives me great hope that he will get the bulk of the starts.
So AZ is going to start someone else’s property over the goalies they are trying to develop. Hutton may not play a single game. I think that’s the more likely scenario unfortunately.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
So AZ is going to start someone else’s property over the goalies they are trying to develop. Hutton may not play a single game. I think that’s the more likely scenario unfortunately.
You don't get better draft picks for losing in the AHL. You could try to ice a competitive goaltender and your other AHL prospects might benefit more from winning.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You don't get better draft picks for losing in the AHL. You could try to ice a competitive goaltender and your other AHL prospects might benefit more from winning.
You haven’t seen Hutton play have you?

Look if u think Hutton is going to play the majority of the games as a 36 year old coming off an injury where he hasn’t played in months at the expense of AZ’s top goaltending prospect then hold onto that. I don’t think that’s how it plays out. I will be surprised if he plays at all.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Mrazek and Hutchinson haven’t looked good at all this year. This is a good depth move.
Carter Hutton 2021-2022:

3 GP, 0-2-0, 7.76 GAA, .741 SR

Perhaps this is not the playoffs goalie depth you're looking for... However, it's a small sample size. :sarcasm:

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I doubt Carter Hutton is even going to Tuscon unless he absolutely has to. He’ll just hang out in Scottsdale til the end of the season.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Perhaps, but I still Dubas is not a very good GM, and he makes unnecessary moves.

Mmmm...ok. Don't you see that this might not have been an unnecessary move? Picking up $750K of Hutton might have been necessary to get Arizona to take on Ritchie with no retention. This is not only unnecessary, it was extremely creative and shrewd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad