Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ARI] Leafs acquire Carter Hutton for future considerations

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I would wager that Dubas is looking to dump Mrazek's cap hit to facilitate a move to acquire a D. This team isn't winning anything if Campbell goes down anyways as Mrazek certainly isn't the solution.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I would wager that Dubas is looking to dump Mrazek's cap hit to facilitate a move to acquire a D. This team isn't winning anything if Campbell goes down anyways as Mrazek certainly isn't the solution.

There is a reasonable chance that Hutton professional career is over. He's injured -- with a problem with a previously surgically repaired ankle IIRC. He'll work out with the Roadrunners, but he is not in any way, shape, or form, a replacement for Mrazek.

This deal simply boils down to Toronto paying his salary for the rest of the year without cap consequence, and MAYBE him factoring if Toronto has numerous goalie injuries.

That being said, Dubas doesn't need to dump Mrazek to acquire a D. He's got Dermott or Holl, along with the cap space freed up with Dzingel's loss.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Possibly a final piece to the Ritchie puzzle. Leafs agree to take some more money on but wanted Arizona to pass him through waivers first.

I think this right here is the correct answer

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Could TOR and AZ swap goalies?

TOR sends Mrazek and a pick

AZ sends Wedgewood, who has played pretty good for the worst team in the league.

Toronto gets a potentially better back up and gets out of cap

AZ doesn’t have to chase down a goalie in the summer

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I am amused how many posters and people on twitter are making more of this then need be.

For me this is part of the Ritchie deal. If you combine all 3 contracts of the players got that makes the same as Rutchie. Leafs wanted to make sure that they moved one of the contracts out before taking the third.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Could TOR and AZ swap goalies?

TOR sends Mrazek and a pick

AZ sends Wedgewood, who has played pretty good for the worst team in the league.

Toronto gets a potentially better back up and gets out of cap

AZ doesn’t have to chase down a goalie in the summer
I believe Wedgewood needs to clear waivers 1st. More likely it happens in summer after Wedgewood comes off the books and before Campbell heads to free agency. But I can see Mrazek being traded to AZ after the season ends.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Hutton isn’t playing again. He’s done. He’s LTIRetired

I’m guessing AZ doesn’t want to pay since he’s not insured. Leafs can just pay for his contract like they pay for everything else for the Coyotes.

thanks babes

Look we'll pick up the tab this time, but would it kill you to at least offer to pick up the cheque? Maybe offer to buy a bottle of wine for the table?

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
Beginning to think Dubas is addicted to trading. There was no need for this, and Hutton is terrible.

I think you may have missed the actual point. This was a way for the Leafs to give the Coyotes a few hundred thousand dollars without impacting the Leafs cap. This is clearly part of the Ritchie deal but required Hutton to clear waivers and possible Dzingel to get picked up on waivers.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
I think you may have missed the actual point. This was a way for the Leafs to give the Coyotes a few hundred thousand dollars without impacting the Leafs cap. This is clearly part of the Ritchie deal but required Hutton to clear waivers and possible Dzingel to get picked up on waivers.

Perhaps, but I still Dubas is not a very good GM, and he makes unnecessary moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00